Thread: Seeking feedback on a graphic

Seeking feedback on a graphic

Hi everyone,

Thanks for kindly welcoming me to the group. I wondered if anyone would like to give me feedback on this proposed graphic I have created summarizing the history of US entanglement in the Middle East. I'm open to any suggestions for improvement.

I'm thinking it could be posted on social media for educational purposes to spread understanding. It could have mistakes, omissions, etc. I'm not an expert, just an educated person. But it does seem to me that almost everything has its roots (directly or indirectly) in U.S. support for Israel, and the graphic reflects that.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not entirely sure if the US was already a staunch supporter of Israel in 1947. IIRC it took some time for this relationship to develop.
    "I am a bird"

A fair point to look into.

Who is your audience? And are you looking to change minds or just start $#@!?

He's just looking to start $#@!. Blaming everything on Israel is the simpleton's view of the US history of meddling in the Middle East.

For example, our overthrow of Iran's democracy and installation of the Shah had zero, zilch, squat to do with Israel (and everything to do with the company now known as BP), but you would get a completely different impression from his graphic.

1956 is also rather inconvenient for this narrative, as is the fact that Saddam Hussein's primary enemy was Iran and that he was in power in the first place because the US supported his coup.

I knew when this person showed up yesterday that there was $#@!-stirring in progress - his first post was a complete tell. I wonder what the real purpose of this is.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    He's just looking to start $#@!. Blaming everything on Israel is the simpleton's view of the US history of meddling in the Middle East.

For example, our overthrow of Iran's democracy and installation of the Shah had zero, zilch, squat to do with Israel (and everything to do with the company now known as BP), but you would get a completely different impression from his graphic.

1956 is also rather inconvenient for this narrative, as is the fact that Saddam Hussein's primary enemy was Iran and that he was in power in the first place because the US supported his coup.

I knew when this person showed up yesterday that there was $#@!-stirring in progress - his first post was a complete tell. I wonder what the real purpose of this is.

C'mon, he ain't anywhere near max, or some others we have had here
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I wonder what the real purpose of this is.
    Miscommunifiscation?

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by jekluc View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for kindly welcoming me to the group. I wondered if anyone would like to give me feedback on this proposed graphic I have created summarizing the history of US entanglement in the Middle East. I'm open to any suggestions for improvement.

I'm thinking it could be posted on social media for educational purposes to spread understanding. It could have mistakes, omissions, etc. I'm not an expert, just an educated person. But it does seem to me that almost everything has its roots (directly or indirectly) in U.S. support for Israel, and the graphic reflects that.

Main critique here is that you sound like an anti-Israel activist with an agenda youre trying to push rather than communicate historical facts.. Iran 1953 is an example.. You dont mention any of the real economic issues that were the cause for that and if I were reading this I would stop right there because I can see youre not credible on your facts.

Also I found the color red you use to be a bit harsh for my eyes to look at.. Would recommend a softer, pastel-like hue of red or pink instead.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

+1

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Who is your audience? And are you looking to change minds or just start $#@!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Main critique here is that you sound like an anti-Israel activist with an agenda youre trying to push rather than communicate historical facts.. Iran 1953 is an example.. You dont mention any of the real economic issues that were the cause for that and if I were reading this I would stop right there because I can see youre not credible on your facts.

Also I found the color red you use to be a bit harsh for my eyes to look at.. Would recommend a softer, pastel-like hue of red or pink instead.
    !!!!! + for all!
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

The way I see it is the elite who own BP and wanted the oil in the Middle East had long planned to create Israel as a western anchor point in the region that they could use as an excuse to exert broader control. These same elite may have even fomented, invested and encouraged Hitler's rise to power and the Holocaust as a way to create a need for Israel's existence and as an excuse to perpetuate it. So the graphic in the OP isn't entirely incorrect, but it is a bit too focused and lacks some detail in the surrounding arrangements.

Certainly Israel and its supporters have been a huge component and driver of our foreign policy for decades.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thanks for the constructive criticisms, and I look forward to more. As for the attacks on my honesty, I clearly can't prove that I'm an honest person via a Web forum; one has to develop personal relationships for that. So I don't really know how to use those attacks to improve the graphic, though I would of course restate that I fairly represented my motivations and views (the latter always open to change) in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    !!!!! + for all!
    Yes, I agree....

Thanks for the constructive criticisms, and I look forward to more. As for the attacks on my honesty, I clearly can't prove that I'm an honest person via a Web forum; one has to develop personal relationships for that. So I don't really know how to use those attacks to improve the graphic, though I would of course restate that I fairly represented my motivations and views (the latter always open to change) in the OP.
    Well it might help if you wouldn't put the emphasis on Israel so much. Israel obviously had NOTHING to do with the operation AJAX. Absolutely nothing. The US certainly did.

Now when Israel first declared independence, the US was not happy about that for the most part. Read your history.

Also, without responding to the other texts in the graphic, IIRC Bin Laden's main problem with US foreign policy was that there were bases in his 'holyland' of Saudi Arabia.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 12-17-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    "I am a bird"

It's not your honesty, it's your accuracy and clear intent to make Israel the focus of your criticism regardless of what the truth may be.

Obsessing about Israel and Jews - pro or con - is a plague on the Internet. Whatever reasonable discussions there may to be had get drowned out by monomaniacs. Don't be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well it might help if you wouldn't put the emphasis on Israel so much. Israel obviously had NOTHING to do with the operation AJAX. Absolutely nothing. The US certainly did.
    I think they had something to do with it, but it was in a broader context and certainly not the primary motivation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought 9/11 happened because they hate us for our freedom

???

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    The overall sentiment is clearly the same as the one firing up several other posters, and may be correct. I am open to reconsideration here. I don't know much about Operation AJAX.

Now when Israel first declared independence, the US was not happy about that for the most part. Read your history.
    A 1948 statement by Truman on the subject is reproduced here. Of course not everyone was on board with Truman's support (which may not have even been sincere), nonetheless he was president and this was apparently his public position.

Also, without responding to the other texts in the graphic, IIRC Bin Laden's main problem with US foreign policy was that there were bases in his 'holyland' of Saudi Arabia.
    Bin Laden's 2002 "letter to America," reproduced here, lists "You attacked us in Palestine" as his first grievance, Item 1a. This may be just a matter of chronological ordering, although I'm not sure the rest of the letter follows such ordering.

None of this is to say I'm wedded to relevant areas of the graphic as they are, I'm just making a few observations.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I thought 9/11 happened because they hate us for our freedom???
    Lol

It's interesting looking back a few thousand years... way WAY before the US (there are a few maps in the video around 13:00)

Communications took a long time and those battles easily lasted hundreds of years because of slow dial-up internet connections.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The way I see it is the elite who own BP and wanted the oil in the Middle East had long planned to create Israel as a western anchor point in the region that they could use as an excuse to exert broader control. These same elite may have even fomented, invested and encouraged Hitler's rise to power and the Holocaust as a way to create a need for Israel's existence and as an excuse to perpetuate it. So the graphic in the OP isn't entirely incorrect, but it is a bit too focused and lacks some detail in the surrounding arrangements.

Certainly Israel and its supporters have been a huge component and driver of our foreign policy for decades.
    Truth....but you and I both found graphics like op's to be informative many moons ago.

The video above this post looks like more divide and conquer tactics though. There's $#@!ty people claiming various religions for their goals, always have been, and they often work together. No religion is void of $#@!ty people.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The ouster of Gaddafi had nothing to do with Israel. He was a vocal foe of Israel in the last century, but since then he collaborated with them and stated he supported the idea of a Jewish homeland in the Levant. He even had recognition of Israel on the table when he was taken out. The main countries lobbying for his removal were France and Britain.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic