Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Hispanic Immigrants America's Best Defense Against Tyranny?

Are Hispanic Immigrants America's Best Defense Against Tyranny?

An interesting perspective from Reason Magazine.

https://reason.com/archives/2015/12/...ericas-best-de

In a few short months, Trump has vastly grown America's appetite for draconian government. He has proposed rounding up millions of undocumented Latinos and evicting them en masse. He is determined to close mosques. He wants to massively expand surveillance of Americans and has even flirted with issuing identification cards to Muslims, a blanket ban on Muslims entering the country, and "taking out" not just terrorists but their families as well. "Trump's proposals have gone from overt prejudice to things literally taken out of late Weimar history," as The Week columnist Ryan Cooper has noted.

Regardless of who eventually becomes the GOP nominee, he or she will have a very hard time yanking all the red meat that Trump has dangled before the Republican base. Ben Carson, another presidential candidate not distinguished by his sobriety on policy issues, has endorsed Trump's call for monitoring mosques and churches. He is having second thoughts about Trump's suggestion to create a special national registry for Muslims, but thinks that one for all immigrants would be a swell idea. Other Republican candidates might hate Trump's guts, but that doesn't mean that they can ignore his poisonous prescriptions. There is no doubt that his presence has forced them to harden their stance against immigrants, "welfare-mooching" Hispanics, Syrian refugees, and Muslims. If Republicans take control of the White House while holding on to both houses of Congress in this sulfurous climate, an ugly government crackdown can hardly be ruled out, especially should there be another terrorist attack on American soil.

But Latinos are well positioned to thwart the Republican bid for the presidency and save America from itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Given how much tyranny Latinos are used to putting up with at home, I'd SWAG probably not.

But Latinos are well positioned to thwart the Republican bid for the presidency and save America from itself.
    Implying that a Dem president will save America?
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

this is what you see when the pro-immigration case falls apart completely and you get a helplessly desperate grasping at straws

Not ONE of the countries where the Hispanics are coming from is a free nation - they don't have the background and don't know what freedom is, it's not part of their experience.

I wouldn't bet on that outcome with your money.

Any and all of the candidates including Hillary are better than trump. They maybe very well the voters that stop trump.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Yeah, because Latin American Governments are sooo known for being paragons of limited government. Typical nonsense from Reason.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    this is what you see when the pro-immigration case falls apart completely and you get a helplessly desperate grasping at straws

Not ONE of the countries where the Hispanics are coming from is a free nation - they don't have the background and don't know what freedom is, it's not part of their experience.

Isn't the very history of America one of people fleeing nations that weren't exactly free?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Vote Liberty! Vote limited government! Vote Hillary 2016!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    From Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post

How is any of this relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Yeah, because Latin American Governments are sooo known for being paragons of limited government. Typical nonsense from Reason.
    I'm sure, given your Vinlanders Social Club flag, that you're not biased against them for any other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Vote Liberty! Vote limited government! Vote Hillary 2016!
    Well, we are in a alternate universe now, why not? (obligatory disclaimer, I'm not voting for Hillary)
    "The Patriarch"

Are Hispanic Immigrants America's Best Defense Against Tyranny?
    LMAO no....
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It's just two fairly simple and uncontroversial points:

1) Donald Trump is a paragon of despotism, more so than any other candidate of either party.
    2) Hispanic voters are likely to vote against him as a block.

As I see it, that one feat of saving America from Trump, by itself would justify amnesty for illegal immigrants. Sure Hillary's bad, but not as bad as Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post

1) Donald Trump is a paragon of despotism, more so than any other candidate of either party.

As I see it, that one feat of saving America from Trump, by itself would justify amnesty for illegal immigrants. Sure Hillary's bad, but not as bad as Trump.
    Trump is going to lose, "Hispanics" or no "Hispanics".
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Any and all of the candidates including Hillary are better than trump. They maybe very well the voters that stop trump.
    lol. You see a much greater degree of separation than I do. They both suck and would destroy the country in different ways.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Are we seriously to the point where the supposed PaleoCons are backing Trump the liberal dictator, and the open border 'libertarians' are rooting for Hillary?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Are we seriously to the point where the supposed PaleoCons are backing Trump the liberal dictator, and the open border 'libertarians' are rooting for Hillary?
    No.
    "The Patriarch"

No!! And Reason magazine has become an embarrassing joke.

The answer is:

​Hell no.

I'm sure, given your Vinlanders Social Club flag, that you're not biased against them for any other reasons.
    I thought that was a Norwegian flag.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Isn't the very history of America one of people fleeing nations that weren't exactly free?
    From places that were not free at the time, but that had a prior tradition of freedom. They had points of reference our recent waves of immigrants do not have.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    No, I'm definitely not rooting for Hillary, just against Trump.

Whatever anybody who supports Trump is, they're not any kind of conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonIII View Post
    I thought that was a Norwegian flag.
    Nope.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

From the article.

It is true that Hispanics are no great friends of limited government. Polls show that 34 percent more Hispanics support a "big government that provides more services" than the general public.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

No, I'm definitely not rooting for Hillary, just against Trump.

Whatever anybody who supports Trump is, they're not any kind of conservative.
    OK. Yeah, I agree that anyone who supports Trump is not a conservative. As far as Hillary vs Trump I really think its hard to say who would be worse. Hillary would probably try to ban guns and homeschooling. Trump will be a dictator. I don't see how Trump can win anyway. He's ahead in the polls but talking about running third party again.

I still think he's in the race to benefit Hillary.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    From the article.
    Yes. That's part of the point. But don't focus on that to the neglect of the other side of the coin, which is that they may still help keep Trump out of office, and he is a far greater enemy of freedom than they are.

Yes, Hillary really isn't that bad. Maybe a bit worse than Obama, who also really isn't that bad.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic