Thread: Bernie Sanders Wins Readers’ Poll for TIME Person of the Year

Bernie Sanders Wins Readers’ Poll for TIME Person of the Year

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has won the online readers’ poll for TIME Person of the Year, topping some of the world’s best-known politicians, activists and cultural figures as the most influential person of 2015 among those who voted.

The Vermont Senator won with a little more than 10% of the vote when the poll closed Sunday at midnight. That’s well ahead of Pakistani girls’ education activist Malala Yousafzai, who was in second place at 5.2%, and Pope Francis, TIME’s 2013 Person of the Year, who finished third with 3.7%.

Sanders also placed far ahead President Obama (3.5%) and ahead other 2016 candidates, including Republican Donald Trump (1.8%) and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton (1.4%).

See the full results of the poll here

Sanders has helped define the presidential race, calling for big-ticket progressive items from single-payer healthcare to tuition-free public universities. He has mobilized the Democratic Party’s liberal base and inspired massive campaign rallies across the country.

But he remains a distant second for the Democratic nomination in 2016, lagging more than 20% behind Clinton in national polls and overwhelmingly behind in support among Democratic members of Congress and party leaders.

Sanders has said his goal is a political revolution that will reenergize the electorate and push big money out of politics. “A lot of people have given up on the political process, and I want to get them involved in it,” Sanders told TIME in a September cover story. “In this fight we are going to take on the greed of the billionaire class. And they are very, very powerful, and they’re going to fight back furiously. The only way to succeed is when millions of people stand up and decide to engage.”
    http://time.com/4137173/bernie-sande.../?xid=homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he is named person of the year it should be a good bump for him in the polls.

Yet one more very good reason to boycott the corrupt 'Time' rag.

I can't remember if he won it but didn't Ron Paul do extremely well in the Time Person of the Year poll too? (note: the poll winner is rarely the person actually given the award). I see he was #16 (behind Putin, Ben Bernanke, Angela Merkel, and actor Benedict Cumberbatch) in the 2012 poll. http://content.time.com/time/special...107959,00.html

LOL. Well at least Donald Trump didn't win.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

So. Ron Paul was like 3rd in the fan voting for at least 4 years and never made the list.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Time tries to pick their "Man of the Year" based on their impact on the world- for good or for bad. Not on their popularity.

But where's George Soros?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Time tries to pick their "Man of the Year" based on their impact on the world- for good or for bad. Not on their popularity.
    In that case, Sanders shouldn't win.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    In that case, Sanders shouldn't win.
    If Sanders is elected, he'll probably win next time around, because the amount of destruction his insane ideas will reap upon this country will be astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    If Sanders is elected, he'll probably win next time around, because the amount of destruction his insane ideas will reap upon this country will be astronomical.
    He's leading in the New Hampshire polls, so it's not out of the picture for him to win the nomination and the election.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    He's leading in the New Hampshire polls, so it's not out of the picture for him to win the nomination and the election.
    It's possible Sanders wins NH. It's impossible for him to be the nominee.

But what Sanders has accomplished so far is indeed interesting. I don't see a problem with him being man of the year. I don't agree with Sanders much, but at least he is honest.

Angela Merkel named Time's Person of the Year
    German leader Angela Merkel named Time magazine's Person of the Year
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic