Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've been off grid for around 2.5 months so far...

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Who gives a $#@!, you made it and it works. It's cold out there so I bet a hot shower really makes you happy.

Do you have plans drawn up for your home?
    Does a sketch on the back of a paper plate count? LOL

Looking at 15×15 with an 8x8 coming off off it. 15' tall and a barn roof. Loft area will be two bedrooms.

I really really wanted to have some stuff planted now and my chickens and milk goat but I'm worried about juggling too much at once. Might be next season before I get the fruit planted and my goat. Still wanting the chicks sometime soon. God I sure would love a peach tree though.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Indian View Post
    Does a sketch on the back of a paper plate count? LOL

Looking at 15×15 with an 8x8 coming off off it. 15' tall and a barn roof. Loft area will be two bedrooms.
    Any sort of foundation ? How much insulation ? Windows ? I don't know how much experience you have building stuff but if you want a comfortable house I'd say you'd do better with a plan.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Any sort of foundation ? How much insulation ? Windows ? I don't know how much experience you have building stuff but if you want a comfortable house I'd say you'd do better with a plan.
    I will try to use Sketchup before I buy the bulk of the materials but while I do have some CAD experience, Sketchup is pretty foreign to me. If all else fails, I'll draft it by hand. Going with a block foundation and getting the structure up off the ground. Leaning towards Rockwool insulation but I admit that I haven't made my mind up quite yet there. Hoping to have the windows come from salvage but that limits options of course. We have a Habitat for Humanity in the next town over and I've been told I may find plenty there.

Getting excited!

I will try to use Sketchup before I buy the bulk of the materials but while I do have some CAD experience, Sketchup is pretty foreign to me. If all else fails, I'll draft it by hand. Going with a block foundation and getting the structure up off the ground. Leaning towards Rockwool insulation but I admit that I haven't made my mind up quite yet there. Hoping to have the windows come from salvage but that limits options of course. We have a Habitat for Humanity in the next town over and I've been told I may find plenty there.

Getting excited!
    h4h has lots of stuff. You wont find anything uniform but I doubt that matters a whole lot. Doors, windows, sinks. Everything. Just figure out which checkout person will negotiate that'll save you some.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This site might be of help to you for your self-build:

It has tons of resources and a thread with other people's building projects which can give you a lot of ideas and tips. I think they also have free plans for the type of cabin you're looking for and tools to help you design.

Edit: have to make a second post before I can add a link.

Here it is: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.ph...4&action=forum

Hi, all. Sorry it's been so long since an update, life, work, and my day job keep me hopping, and time to write a decent recap of my shenanigans is pretty hard to find. So, in an attempt to still communicate some of this stuff, I began uploading videos to youtube and let them upload while I work.

I feel weird posting this here though because it feels "spammy" ...but I hope all can see I'm trying to contribute and not spam. If it's not okay that I post these, I completely understand.

Beware: I have no camera skills, no editing skills, and no... well... nothing, and the videos are crap. Have I sold ya yet? LOL

Check me out. "WTF OFF GRID"

Put a couple of new ones up. Check out our progress as we march towards some personal freedoms.

Tiny house floor is nearly done. Should have it finished after next weekend if the weather plays half nice.

Then it's time for zee walls, comrades!

You should have nailed yer joist hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    You should have nailed yer joist hangers.
    Ya, know, I was back and forth on it a bit and even cut a part of the video where I discussed it some cause the rambling got god awful LOL.

Here was my thinking, and I pray that I wasn't wrong, according to the plans, the joist hangers were optional and toenailing the joists into place was permitted.
    I went with the hangers as it made the job of dropping the joists into place a much easier operation for a one man wrecking crew lol. So, they're still going to be nailed into place

... Do you think this is something I am going to regret at some point?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the posts, great read!

You could invite some RPF peeps up for an "off grid vacation" in exchange for help with some of that stuff you're trying to get done. Just a thought.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope to have enough money saved to homestead in a few years. Maybe even go full blown rewilder, which is much cheaper, but far more extreme.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Hi. It's been awhile. Quit posting here due to the... not so liberty feel on the main forums and personal insults, but I'm over it now... mostly. Trolls gonna troll, I guess.

Things on the homestead have been both slow going and fast and furious, just depends on perspective, I suppose.

Tiny house frame was bought and the subfloor and all that I built was turned into a large deck.

Drywall and mud mostly done, bathroom built, plumbing in.

Had a few gennys crap out on me over the last few months, I take care of em but Harbor Freight is always a real gamble.

Had a lot of snow and ice, but spring is
    in the air so raised beds are on the agenda soon.

Hope everyone reading this is well and all the best from me and the family.

WI

Hi. It's been awhile. Quit posting here due to the... not so liberty feel on the main forums and personal insults, but I'm over it now... mostly. Trolls gonna troll, I guess.

Things on the homestead have been both slow going and fast and furious, just depends on perspective, I suppose.

Tiny house frame was bought and the subfloor and all that I built was turned into a large deck.

Had a few gennys crap out on me over the last few months, I take care of em but Harbor Freight is always a real gamble.

WI
    Good luck with all your endeavors. I am coming up on my 50 year off grid anniversary in June.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

WI
    Hope you are right where you want to be with your projects come spring . Good luck .
    Do something Danke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123