Thread: Donald Trump booed by crowd questions Israel’s commitment to peace.

Donald Trump booed by crowd questions Israel’s commitment to peace.

To the eternal chagrin of the Republican establishment, Donald Trump’s flair for the vague, insensitive, or unorthodox remark has still not cost the candidate his frontrunner status. As my colleague David Graham noted in October, Trump has been well-served by his twinning of immigration tough-talk with a refrain about raising taxes on the wealthy, embodying a populism otherwise unheard in the Republican Party.

But in recent days, Trump appeared to stray across an inviolable line in the modern GOP platform: a robust, if not unflinching, support for the State of Israel. In an interview with the AP on Wednesday, Trump seemed to lay the onus for securing a long-elusive peace agreement at the feet of the Israelis, and not the Palestinians.

“I have a real question as to whether or not both sides want to make it,” Trump said, before explaining that his concerns predominantly reside with “one side in particular.” He then added: A lot will have to do with Israel and whether or not Israel wants to make the deal — whether or not Israel's willing to sacrifice certain things. They may not be, and I understand that, and I'm OK with that. But then you're just not going to have a deal. This is by no means a pro-Palestinian sentiment. If anything, it’s a rhetorical inversion of the frequent argument, especially among conservatives, that Israel has no viable negotiating partner on the Palestinian side and that it shouldn’t be pressured to agree to a peace deal that would compromise its security concerns.

What’s particularly notable here is the ominous coda. By (vaguely) interjecting the idea that without a peace deal Israel will continue its occupation of the West Bank and its growing Palestinian population, Trump is echoing the frequent admonishments of President Obama and John Kerry (as well as other Democrats, and a number of Israeli leaders), who continue to warn that without a comprehensive peace deal, Israel will cease to be a Jewish and democratic state.

Even Trump seemed to realize that this time, he might have gone further than voters were prepared to follow. On Thursday, Trump blustered to the Republican Jewish Coalition that President Obama “is the worst thing that’s ever happened to Israel.” He also promised to visit the country after Christmas.

Trump also clarified that, “Israel has given a lot, and a lot of people don’t know that,” he said. “I think the public relations for Israel hasn’t been so great … Israel’s given a lot, but hasn’t been given a lot of credit for what they’ve given.”

And yet, he also doubled down on his earlier remarks, casting doubt on Israel’s desire to make peace. Later, Trump was actually booed by the crowd when he refused to clarify his position on Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, which is Israel’s policy and another common talking point among Republicans.

“When it started, they were skeptical, and you could feel the room warming to him,” noted conservative Gary Bauer told The Washington Post. “I think he turned a lot of people. And then he lost them, because he couldn't just say, ‘of course, Jerusalem is the capital, we won't negotiate on that.’” (Trump was also accused of trading in anti-Semitic stereotypes in his remarks.)

There may be an underserved bloc among the Republican faithful for raising taxes on the wealthy, but if there’s a constituency within the GOP with ambivalent feelings toward Israel, the polls certainly don’t show. Republican support for Israel has steadily grown over the past 20 years and, according to a recent Gallup poll, 83 percent of Republicans expressed more sympathy for Israel than the Palestinians.

Senator Marco Rubio immediately seized on Trump’s comments on Thursday. “Some in our own party have actually called for more sacrifice from the Israeli people. They are dead wrong.” Less ambiguously, he added, “This is not a real estate deal where the two sides argue over money.”
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...israel/418737/

I have a feeling Cruz will exploit this to boost his support.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...israel/418737/

I have a feeling Cruz will exploit this to boost his support.
    Notorious ****bag Rubio is already on it but is is just a drama.

Donald Trump Tells Pro-Israel Crowd He Can’t Be Bought, Gets Booed

Dec. 3 2015, 4:20 p.m.

Speaking to the Republican Jewish Coalition on Thursday, Donald Trump once again demonstrated how he is not your typical presidential candidate.
    “You’re not going to support me because I don’t want your money,” Trump told members of the Sheldon Adelson-funded hardline pro-Israel lobbying organization.
    He went on to mock rival Jeb Bush for taking money from interest groups and then toeing their line. “That’s why you don’t want to give me money, OK, but that’s OK, you want to control your own politician. That’s fine, good,” he concluded.
    And then, unlike the candidates who do want the coalition’s money, Trump broke with GOP orthodoxy, questioning Israel’s commitment to peace, calling for even treatment in Israeli-Palestinian deal-making, and refusing to call for Jerusalem to be Israel’s undivided capital — provoking a wave of boos from the audience.
    Trump was asked about earlier comments he had made to an Associated Press reporter that he believes peace hinges on “whether or not Israel wants to make the deal — whether or not Israel’s willing to sacrifice certain things.”

Trump was quickly assailed after that comment by rival candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., who argued that land rights and a peace deal were not the issue and that Trump shouldn’t “question Israel’s commitment to peace.”

Trump continued to take a considerably more even-handed approach to the issue than his rivals at the event on Thursday. “I said that you have to have a commitment to make [peace]. I don’t know that Israel has the commitment to make it. I don’t know that the other side has the commitment to make it,” he said.
    “I’d like to go in with a clean slate, and just say, ‘Let’s go, everybody’s even, we love everybody and let’s see if we can do something.’”
    The moderator tried to pin Trump down on the litmus-test issue of whether Jerusalem should be the undivided capital of Israel.
    “You know what I want to do, I want to wait until I meet with Bi —” started Trump before he was interrupted by booing.
    “Who’s the wise guy?” Trump asked. “Do me a favor, just relax, OK. You’ll like me very much, believe me, and you wonder why you get yourself in trouble.”
    Trump continued to heckle his heckler: “You can’t go in with that attitude. If you’re going to make a deal, you could make a great deal, you can’t go in with the attitude we’re going to shove it down your — you gotta go in and get it and do it nicely so everyone is happy.”

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/03/...ant-be-bought/

This is one for the history books because it's the first time a leading US presidential candidate has refused to get down on their knees and kiss Israels ass.

Maybe this also a preview of a new future where the United States isn't shackled to Israel. One can hope.

The US shouldn't be involved this at all, but what Trump said certainly shouldn't have gotten him boos. The majority of the other stuff that comes out of his mouth, however...

...THAT'LL drop those poll numbahs...

wOw
    speechless

MIND
    BL0WN
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    This is one for the history books because it's the first time a leading US presidential candidate has refused to get down on their knees and kiss Israels ass.

Maybe this also a preview of a new future where the United States isn't shackled to Israel. One can hope.
    Yeaw Americas Hitler.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

All the Hitler-Holocaust stuff is beyond played out.

It has no meaning anymore. None.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Yeaw Americas Hitler.
    The interesting thing is that he is taking Israel's side in general, just not backing up their BS.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    All the Hitler-Holocaust stuff is beyond played out.

It has no meaning anymore. None.
    It does to me, I will always remember.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Smart move. Important to keep the white nationalist base intact. Dreams of whiteville might just propel this buffoon to the big house.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    He also has been attacking pro-Israel pundits in media that supported Iraqi Freedom war.

At least Trump is honest about the $#@!ty, imperial attitude that so many Americans pretend not to have...

I see a Trump presidency leading to a lot of Americans being punished for being so stupid...
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

He also has been attacking pro-Israel pundits in media that supported Iraqi Freedom war.

At least Trump is honest about the $#@!ty, imperial attitude that so many Americans pretend not to have...

I see a Trump presidency leading to a lot of Americans being punished for being so stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post

An argument can be made that the current Obama Presidency (alongwith last few Presidencies that set the tone of US Mideast interventions) also fall under the "punishment" category.
    I see Obama Presidency as Iraqi Freedom Presidency slash therapy.

An argument can be made that the current Obama Presidency (alongwith last few Presidencies that set the tone of US Mideast interventions) also fall under the "punishment" category.
    I see Obama Presidency as Iraqi Freedom Presidency slash therapy.
    It's just the system will become so truly dysfunctional under this guy that it really will be something to behold. I mean it's going to be so dysfunctional that the usual cabal of weirdos that run everything behind the scenes are going to be having a bad time. Punishment for everyone all around.