Thread: Rand Paul: Marco Rubio Wants Illegal, Unending War

Rand Paul: Marco Rubio Wants Illegal, Unending War

'I hope voters will seek out a leader who will not pursue a reckless policy that traps us under a mountain of debt and beguiles us into perpetual war.'

Hillary Clinton, Marco Rubio and several other of today’s neoconservatives are the ideological heirs to an unreconstructed John Foster Dulles. Fortunately, President Dwight D. Eisenhower resisted the early recklessness of Dulles and avoided a nuclear confrontation with Russia.

As Eisenhower campaigned in 1952, America was still formulating its response to a nuclear Russia. It was a key moment in the Cold War. A moment in time when it was incredibly important that the leader of the free world be the adult in the room.

As Richard Immerman recounts in his biography of Dulles:

“The Joint Chiefs asserted that it was vital to roll back the communist bloc by means of coercion or even direct force.”

“Eisenhower strenuously disagreed.”

“During the 1952 campaign Eisenhower insisted that Dulles qualify his references to liberation with the phrase ‘by peaceful means.’”

Today, we have an aggressive new potentate in Russia but fortunately not the hair trigger atmosphere of the early Cold War. Nevertheless, it is important that the free world be led by a leader capable of reining in the neoconservatives by not giving them free reign to their endless ambitions to remake the world in America’s image.

http://time.com/4129562/rand-paul-ma...r/?xid=fbshare

-virgil

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The message is right. But the phrasing is awkward, the grammatical mistakes are rife, and the historical allusions are recondite. Rand needs a good writer on his campaign, as well as a good strategist and speech coach.

Quote Originally Posted by statist slayer View Post
    The message is right. But the phrasing is awkward, the grammatical mistakes are rife, and the historical allusions are recondite. Rand needs a good writer on his campaign, as well as a good strategist and speech coach.
    That's the part i liked, read it entirely in Rand's voice.

True, you can tell when Rand has written something himself! Or he hires people who write exactly as he speaks.
    Last edited by statist slayer; 11-30-2015 at 05:33 PM.

I was waiting for Rand to bring up Eisenhower. I hope he also brings up what Eisenhower warned about and call out by name the military industrial complex for what it is.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

True, you can tell when Rand has written something himself! Or he hires people who write exactly as he speaks.
    Yeah, Ron's book, End The Fed, was very similar.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Where is the phrasing awkward?
    I only saw one grammatical error that most people wouldn't even notice.
    I thought the historical allusions were a strength for this article, and it made it interesting to read.

The only statement in the article I disagree with is: "Today we have an aggressive new potentate in Russia." Russia, imho, is simply reacting to our aggressive policies in countries on her border as well as policies against an ally that she has had for generations. However, overall, I thought it was a *great* article and a breath of fresh air to the unending warmongering in this country.
    Last edited by charrob; 12-02-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic