Thread: Laser Pointers banned in my community. Thoughts?

Laser Pointers banned in my community. Thoughts?

I know there are much more pressing issues going on in the world today, but I wanted to take a break from all that and ask what you all think about this ban on laser pointers. I live in NYC and went through hell trying to get a laser pointer today. I want one because my cat loves to play with them. I eventually had to drive 15 minutes to Long Island to purchase one, but it really got me thinking.

Apparently stories about stupid people pointing lasers at low flying aircraft, bus drivers, etc. are making the headlines these days in my area. These laser pointers have been around for years, so don't ask me why just now all of a sudden people are misusing them.

Anyway, now the government has supposedly banned them in the 5 boroughs of NYC, and it got me itching to come here and see what my fellow liberty lovers propose to be the free-market solution to this problem.

You see, as freedom-loving individuals I'm sure we can all agree the nanny state coming in to ban lasers is another government overreach, but as sensible people we also know there are inherent dangers regarding people pointing high powered lasers where they shouldn't be pointing them. In a society and government structured as we have in present-day America, what is the most common-sense approach to dealing with this issue?

As I began to think of true free-market solutions, I thought that if we lived in a society where government did not own property and land was privately owned, do you think it would be likely that private land owners would voluntarily place a ban on the sale and possession of laser pointers on their land? If they were shown to pose that great of a risk to aircraft and transit vehicles, do you think this would be a likely scenario in a society of privately owned land?

I would just really like people's opinions on this so I can get a better understanding of the issue. Sorry if it is not the most exciting topic of debate, but driving around today looking for these things got me thinking!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Amazon 1 click industrial strength...

Anti aircraft missiles are also very dangerous to planes flying overhead.

Which are also banned.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Obviously we need to license them.

People who want cat toys and speech aides will be inconvenienced, and those who really want to do harm will still be able to get them.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Once we outlaw laser pointers...

Only outlaws will have laser pointers.

Problem fixed.

Common sense optics law.

If there was a car wreck, would they then ban autos?

Regulate them by age like Cigarettes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Obviously we need to license them.
    And insure them!

Don't forget the insurance........

A simple way to solve it would just have Obama clarify the NFA Title II to include laser pointers as an "Any Other Weapon"
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    A simple way to solve it would just have Obama clarify the NFA Title II to include laser pointers as an "Any Other Weapon"
    Should include this as well.