Thread: I've changed my mind on GMO labeling

I've changed my mind on GMO labeling

It certainly does undermine liberty. So, that's that. I'm still going to follow what is happening around the world in terms of the GMO debate, though. It is a Geo-political issue today. I think that is where it will ultimately be decided. And, of course, there are some interesting things happening with regard to the products at the international level that are of significance to that notion.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-28-2015 at 01:12 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are already laws that require food labelling. I'm opposed to food labelling laws, but if we are going to require food labelling should it not be accurate? Is that really "corn" in my corn syrup? At some point the current labelling laws become deceptive, and if we have labelling laws I'm against labelling rules that are inherently deceptive.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-28-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What undermines liberty? And how? Your OP is very unclear.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

If someone doesn't want to know what they are eating, they don't have to read the label.

They shouldn't impose their ignorance on others.

Those that oppose mandatory labeling also get their friends in government to prohibit voluntary labeling.

$#@! them.

Is there not a volunteer or for-profit organization that can buy a few cans of each brand of food and do some testing ala Consumer Reports?
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    What undermines liberty? And how? Your OP is very unclear.
    Certainly one of the principles of liberty is that while groups of individuals should have freedom to self-organize and impose rules upon themselves, they should not force the same rules on others or prevent others from equally doing the same.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-28-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Certainly one of the principles of liberty is that while groups of individuals should have freedom to self-organize and impose rules upon themselves, they should not force the same rules on others or prevent others from equally doing the same.
    So... you're against State mandated labeling, then? Or...? Because you still haven't actually made your position clear.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There are already laws that require food labelling.
    The libertarian position is not to require more labeling just because some labeling already exists.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    Is there not a volunteer or for-profit organization that can buy a few cans of each brand of food and do some testing ala Consumer Reports?
    Or perhaps retailers that build an entire reputation based on selling only products free of certain chemicals and hybridizing techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The libertarian position is not to require more labeling just because some labeling already exists.
    Not more labelling, accurate labelling.. Not everybody buys the government science position that GMO corn is the same as corn.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Or perhaps retailers that build an entire reputation based on selling only products free of certain chemicals and hybridizing techniques?
    There are laws on the books right now that prohibit beef producers from either testing their own butcher cattle for Mad Cow, or for advertising that they are tested for Mad Cow.

An outside entity that publishes food quality details will be prohibited from doing so by bipartisan acts of congress/agency edict, ceased and desisted by somebody's personal clown in a black robe, or sued into oblivion.

That is why country of origin labeling on beef is going away because THEY want you to specifically eat Canadian beef, which still has Mad Cow floating around.

My freedom to know what's in my food is greater than the freedom of companies to sell a product without labeling.

Individual freedom > Corporate freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Not more labelling, accurate labelling.. Not everybody buys the government science position that GMO corn is the same as corn.
    What you just said is that not everybody has any evidence to back up their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyInNY View Post
    My freedom to know what's in my food is greater than the freedom of companies to sell a product without labeling.

Individual freedom > Corporate freedom
    We shouldn't force someone at gunpoint to do with their property the same that you would do with yours. It is possible to avoid consuming GM products if this is one's choice.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-29-2015 at 07:57 AM.