Thread: Windows 10 removes user-installed applications without asking first

Windows 10 removes user-installed applications without asking first

Windows 10’s broken fall update removes user-installed applications without asking first

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...t-asking-first
    Ever since Microsoft declared that Windows 10 would automatically install updates and upgrades by default, the company’s response to user concerns and fears about hardware compatibility and software issues has essentially been “trust us.” The company still allows Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise users to defer and delay certain upgrades, and there are software tools that anyone can download to block certain driver updates, but these have been exceptions to the new general rule.

Unfortunately for Microsoft’s users, this policy isn’t working very well. Earlier this week, Microsoft yanked the Media Creation Tool installer for its latest Windows 10 build (version 1511), but not before a litany of complaints poured in. Now, users are reporting that the latest version of Windows 10 isn’t just buggy — in some cases, it uninstalls user software without the user’s permission.
    CONT...
    FJB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I found a way to defeat the automatic update... google can tell you how...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Ticks me off too, I really dislike presumptuous software companies. After all, it really is MY computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Ticks me off too, I really dislike presumptuous software companies. After all, it really is MY computer.
    I just installed win7 x64 professional and had a lot of trouble updating, the automatic updater didn't work, the troubleshooter didn't work either. 50 reboots later for some reason, everything started working and I had a fully updated system including all the drivers I need. Thereafter I went on to disable the ethernet and now windows is a much nicer experience. No need for it to go online since I only need Windows for offline applications.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Read the EULA
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Don't worry, that will be patched in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I just installed win7 x64 professional and had a lot of trouble updating, the automatic updater didn't work, the troubleshooter didn't work either. 50 reboots later for some reason, everything started working and I had a fully updated system including all the drivers I need. Thereafter I went on to disable the ethernet and now windows is a much nicer experience. No need for it to go online since I only need Windows for offline applications.
    yeah that happened to me too.. not sure but I think they are trying to discourage using windows 7...
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Windows 10 is bad news! All your data is collected by them and sent to the Feds. And not only your internet browsing data, ALL your data! They have unprecedented control over everything, and can likely hack into your system remotely at will.

In case nobody knows this, Google and Microsoft are under the control of a creepy bunch of transhumanists (people who think human beings will be phased out. Either transformed through technology into greater beings, or replaced entirely). Thus, they are pursuing all sorts of creepy tech, such as cranial implants, driverless cars that track your movement...etc. What do you think Google Glass was about?

BAD NEWS!!! Drop Microsoft. Either go Mac or Linux.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've never owned a mac and I haven't used ubuntu a whole lot, but it looks like I will be moving to them permanently on my next laptop or destktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    yeah that happened to me too.. not sure but I think they are trying to discourage using windows 7...
    They certainly seem to. I don't want my OS to get any 'smarter'. I want it to run the stuff I want it to run and nothing more. They don't have to discourage me lol, I'm only using it because otherwise I can't run certain software.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    I've never owned a mac and I haven't used ubuntu a whole lot, but it looks like I will be moving to them permanently on my next laptop or destktop.
    Good to hear. Linux users want you to convert and will freely help you as much as they can, as long as it's just help you need.

Netflix runs natively on Linux now on chrome, OpenOffice has done everything ms office does for a decade now, so literally the only reason to have windows is if you have to play the latest games. And Wine/Dosbox will run 30 years of existing win games, too.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

user concerns and fears about hardware compatibility and software issues has essentially been “trust us.”

lol

Never pay for software again, never worry about viruses or run virus scans again.

You could have a freshy squeeky clean linux install on your box in less than an hour.

FREE

http://linuxmint.com/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Do you know what it's like to be able to delete any damned file you want, without regard to whether your operating system thinks you should?

If you've only used Windows, no, you don't.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

PCLinuxOS

so cool ice cubes are jealous

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Ask one Devil how to reign in another Devil. SMH
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Ask one Devil how to reign in another Devil. SMH
    Ironic, isn't it?
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.