Thread: How about we stop posting poll results?

Angry How about we stop posting poll results?

I think most of us agree that polls nowadays are done more to influence than to gauge anything. They've lost all credibility. [example]

So why do we keep reporting them here? I move to remove poll related discussion to a separate sub-forum, or even the chaff sub-forum.

At this point, using a survey of 100s of carefully chosen people to portray millions, isn't just inaccurate it's irresponsible.

It's bad enough the media has arrogantly boiled down our entire political process to these stupid polls. "Trust us... because our margin of error is 2.5 percent."

Why do it here too?
    Last edited by robskicks; 11-26-2015 at 02:00 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This thread needs a poll just for the irony.

If you aren't aware of the polls, you will be missing several key things:

1) Which candidates will be given a stage upon which to debate next time such an event is held.
    2) Who the media-anointed flavor of the month is.
    3) Who might be next to drop out.

You said yourself that polls are still used to influence. It stands to reason, then, that you want to be aware of what all those millions of people around you are being influenced to think.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

***Officially Unofficial All Poll Data Mega Thread***

/sarc

gobblegobble

I think most of us agree that polls are a rather accurate gauge.

Why? Whether the polls influence the people, or the people influence the polls...the polls end up fairly accurately represent what the people are thinking at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nasaal View Post
    Why? Whether the polls influence the people, or the people influence the polls...the polls end up fairly accurately represent what the people are thinking at the moment.
    It's more like the media influences the people, and then the people influence the polls, and then the media adds the polls to its list of propaganda techniques as it continues to influence the people.

If you ever get called, do not hang up! It is very possible that your answer on the poll is more consequential than your actual vote in the primary.

Meanwhile CNN (Clinton/Bush News Network) is still asking this question:
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 11-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Paul came in first in every single poll released thus far, would we even be having this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    This thread needs a poll just for the irony.
    U.S. Rand Paul, R-Ky., at 5.2 percent.

http://presschronicle.com/2015/11/26...ck-on-top.html
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    I think most of us agree that polls are a rather accurate gauge.
    I think you broke my sarcasm meter
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by robskicks View Post
    I think most of us agree that polls nowadays are done more to influence than to gauge anything. They've lost all credibility. [example]

So why do we keep reporting them here? I move to remove poll related discussion to a separate sub-forum, or even the chaff sub-forum.

At this point, using a survey of 100s of carefully chosen people to portray millions, isn't just inaccurate it's irresponsible.

It's bad enough the media has arrogantly boiled down our entire political process to these stupid polls. "Trust us... because our margin of error is 2.5 percent."

Why do it here too?
    You're in absolute denial.

The thing is they don't even matter right now. I'd be fine if it was a week before Iowa then by all means but jesus

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think you broke my sarcasm meter
    Polling works. I don't know much about the science of statistics, but I'm not going to argue with the statisticians. Polls have proven to be quite accurate in the past. Even the mistakes like the Cameron and Netanyahu incidents last year were not as far off as they would not to be if the polls were misrepresenting the current condition of the presidential race.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    It's more like the media influences the people, and then the people influence the polls, and then the media adds the polls to its list of propaganda techniques as it continues to influence the people.

If you ever get called, do not hang up! It is very possible that your answer on the poll is more consequential than your actual vote in the primary.

Meanwhile CNN (Clinton/Bush News Network) is still asking this question:
    Remember when Rand was where Jeb is in the national polls and the media was "asking" him when he was dropping out? Notice they aren't doing that with Jeb.

The polls are usually about right.

They don't mean much right now because the non-serious candidates like Trump and Carson haven't dropped out yet. Give it some more time.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Polling works. I don't know much about the science of statistics, but I'm not going to argue with the statisticians. Polls have proven to be quite accurate in the past. Even the mistakes like the Cameron and Netanyahu incidents last year were not as far off as they would not to be if the polls were misrepresenting the current condition of the presidential race.
    No one here is arguing against science and maths. A lot of us are just sick of the media's false narrative. Some people are just doing bull$#@! astrology with the numbers. Here is a good example of an interpretation of the polls that goes against the media's narrative.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-trumps-polls/

This is also an interesting article.

This is also an interesting article.
    I've noticed more networks like Gannett use polling on their paywalls. Not sure those are going to be very accurate, because people are just going to click whatever gets them to the content the fastest.

Polling works.
    Just ask Frank.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Whining about polls doesn't accomplish anything, don't fall for the bunker mentality. The only polls that matter right now are Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.