Thread: Why Ben Carson is in free fall since Paris attacks?

Why Ben Carson is in free fall since Paris attacks?

Although some of Paris terrorists had African connections, they were muslims by religion unlike Ben Carson who is a 7DA-Christian. Carson and Trump both are "outsiders" with very little political/foreign policy experience and both have made ignorant comments about foreign policy. But Trump has risen and Carson is in free fall since news of Paris terror attacks.

Why Ben Carson is in free fall since Paris terrorist attacks?

Monday, Nov 23, 2015
    Ben Carson is finished: The one-time Republican frontrunner continues his free fall

It appears the recent terrorist attacks in Paris have awakened GOP primary voters from their slumber – well, sort of. And that’s bad news for Carson, who just had one of his worst weeks as a presidential candidate. In case you missed it, Carson stumbled last week when he mistakenly claimed that China was militarily involved in Syria. He then failed to name the nations he would ask to join a coalition against ISIS.

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/23/afte...dives_in_iowa/

Rand Paul embarrassed Donald Trump over China and the ...
    theweek.com/.../rand-paul-embarrassed-donald-trump-over-ch...The Week

Nov 10, 2015 - Calling it a "horrible deal," Donald Trump spoke out against the proposed ... Fox Business Republican debate, saying it would cause Americans to lose ... Rand Paul made an important clarification: China is not part of the deal.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think one has any correlation to the other. Carson is just a really weak candidate. He doesn't seem to have a grasp on any substantial issue, especially when speaking on foreign policy.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    That may be the case, but why this realization came to minds of his GOP supporters suddenly right after Paris attacks when he has been giving speeches/answering questions for months?
    His surge lasted about a month, the same that happens with all the flavour of the month candidates. Just go back and look at 2012. Cain lasted about a month on top. Perry lasted about a month on top. Gingrich had his moment as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dog View Post
    His surge lasted about a month, the same that happens with all the flavour of the month candidates. Just go back and look at 2012. Cain lasted about a month on top. Perry lasted about a month on top. Gingrich had his moment as well...
    Similar predictions had been made about Trump. I was contrasting the two and trying to understand why Trump increased his support and Carson fell after news of Paris rather abruptly.

It was bound to happen but timing is curious.

And Carson was not supposed to be another Herman Cain. Some headlines just before the Paris attacks:

Why Ben Carson Isn't Going Away
    talkingpointsmemo.com/.../why-ben-carson-is-no-h...Talking Points Memo
    Nov 4, 2015 - And that is why the broadly held assumption that Carson will, like 2012 candidate Herman Cain, quickly fade from contention as voting nears is ...

Ben Carson Is No Herman Cain
    www.slate.com/.../ben_carson_announces_his_presidential_run_his...Sl ate

It's difficult to say exactly why the Paris attacks may have negatively impacted Carson's campaign, but one thing that definitely seems possible is that his soft-spoken demeanor doesn't appeal to the Philistines that want to drop bombs and spill blood, and I think the primary person who is gaining from Carson's bleeding support is Cruz. Trump has also been profiting from this given that he has had the privilege of being the original $#@! that rattles his saber in a cynically opportunistic fashion, though I think Cruz might be a bit more effective at it and may surpass Trump in the coming weeks, if not sooner.

Once a few more weeks go by and the Paris attacks are not as fresh in everybody's minds, there may be a degree of pseudo-rationality entering back into the equation which may hurt Cruz and most definitely Trump, and while I am hopeful that this will benefit Rand, it may also benefit Bush and Rubio since they come off as professional to most GOP voters, which is more a reflection of how poorly the average GOP voter reasons. I'm hoping that Jeb doesn't make a comeback, but I'm a bit worried that he might, particularly if Rubio picks a fight with Cruz and gets his butt kicked in the process.

They have been putting out headlines saying Ben Carson's campaign says Ben Carson knows nothing about US foreign policy... Paris was just attacked, it makes sense why people jumped ship. My guess is Cruz won the foreign policy debate because he metooed both Rand Paul and Rubio and so Ted pulled the moderate card and got the last word. SNL also had Ben Carson sketches two weeks in a row.
    Last edited by nikcers; 11-25-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    It's difficult to say exactly why the Paris attacks may have negatively impacted Carson's campaign, but one thing that definitely seems possible is that his soft-spoken demeanor doesn't appeal to the Philistines that want to drop bombs and spill blood, and I think the primary person who is gaining from Carson's bleeding support is Cruz. Trump has also been profiting from this given that he has had the privilege of being the original $#@! that rattles his saber in a cynically opportunistic fashion, though I think Cruz might be a bit more effective at it and may surpass Trump in the coming weeks, if not sooner.

Once a few more weeks go by and the Paris attacks are not as fresh in everybody's minds, there may be a degree of pseudo-rationality entering back into the equation which may hurt Cruz and most definitely Trump, and while I am hopeful that this will benefit Rand, it may also benefit Bush and Rubio since they come off as professional to most GOP voters, which is more a reflection of how poorly the average GOP voter reasons. I'm hoping that Jeb doesn't make a comeback, but I'm a bit worried that he might, particularly if Rubio picks a fight with Cruz and gets his butt kicked in the process.
    Good points and quite plausible. But I won't be betting on Trump decline as quickly as his key cards so far "Mexicans/Black Muslim President/Muslims" seem to have some durable currency for GOP base angry with gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    It's difficult to say exactly why the Paris attacks may have negatively impacted Carson's campaign, but one thing that definitely seems possible is that his soft-spoken demeanor doesn't appeal to the Philistines that want to drop bombs and spill blood, ...
    Yea, Carson recently tried to boost his image but that didn't seem to work as intended.

Ben Carson Has Plenty of Energy, Once Tried to Stab a Guy

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Although some of Paris terrorists had African connections, they were muslims by religion unlike Ben Carson who is a 7DA-Christian heretic

Carson and Trump both are "outsiders" with very little political/foreign policy experience and both have made ignorant comments about foreign policy a bunch of $#@!ing retards

Carson was already free falling; the guy has zero substance at all and makes Trump look like a policy savant plus he got the weird/coocoo narrative put on him and there is no going back from that. Paris just exacerbated it, Carson is proving you don't have to be smart to be a great surgeon which I guess is sort of inspiring in a way. The whole stabbing his friend and attacking his mother with a hammer story probably hurt him more than anything, I knew it would catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Carson is proving you don't have to be smart to be a great surgeon which I guess is sort of inspiring in a way.
    I'd like that poster on my wall.

Or were his poll numbers contrived just to play "the game".
    "They sure like eating their marshmallows."

I don't think it's the Paris attacks specifically. His luster is just wearing off in general. The honest soft-spoken guy also is a pathological liar who knows nothing.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Carson's rise in the polls happened organically based on his resume and evangelical base, and has fallen artificially due to the Trump and media savaging of that same back story. Paris had nothing to do with it. Whether the drop is permanent or temporary, time will tell (remember when Trump dipped in late September, with people saying he was fading, only to see hum come back stronger by the end of October?).

The reason Trump and Cruz's numbers went up as Carson's went down is that some anti-establishment sentiment switched from him to the other two anti-establishment sounding frontrunners available. That vote is not switching over to establishment candidates.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 11-26-2015 at 10:24 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. He's the flavor of the month and that month went pretty far past its "best by" date.
    2. Trump is expected to be a jerk. It's his entire brand. He is continuing to be a jerk, and people will still praise him and say he "makes the establishment nervous" and "tells it like it is." Contrast this with Carson, who is branded as a soft-spoken, intelligent man. Now listen to their recent comments. If you're going to sound like an $#@!, your brand better reflect that. No one likes a soft-spoken $#@! surgeon; it just does not follow.
    3. War drums. The loudest, most posturing candidates are the ones that benefit from all the yelling about war and boots on the ground and terrorists. I'm surprised Fiorina hasn't leapt back into the fray. Maybe someone told her she's better off sitting quietly and hoping for a call about a cabinet post.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    1. He's the flavor of the month and that month went pretty far past its "best by" date.
    2. Trump is expected to be a jerk. It's his entire brand. He is continuing to be a jerk, and people will still praise him and say he "makes the establishment nervous" and "tells it like it is." Contrast this with Carson, who is branded as a soft-spoken, intelligent man. Now listen to their recent comments. If you're going to sound like an $#@!, your brand better reflect that. No one likes a soft-spoken $#@! surgeon; it just does not follow.
    3. War drums. The loudest, most posturing candidates are the ones that benefit from all the yelling about war and boots on the ground and terrorists. I'm surprised Fiorina hasn't leapt back into the fray. Maybe someone told her she's better off sitting quietly and hoping for a call about a cabinet post.
    I suggested when Trump dipped that he would rebound, and now I'm suggesting Carson will rebound as well. The fact that both have been successful for most of the primary race despite entirely different personalities, shows the non-establishment aspect is the chief dynamic of the campaign. Hence even when one such candidate falters, the supporters shifted to other non-establishment top contenders, not to the fully establishment choices.

The second most pressing dynamic has been the war-weary nature of the public, which has only been temporarily abated by the new terror flap. Even GOP voters don't really want the US in yet another open-ended, "all in" Mideast war, no matter how many times neocons blurt "we must lead" in another conflict. Yet they do want the US to be "strong" and like tough-sounding pro-defense talk. Hence the support for Trump and Carson, who talk in pro-war generalities, but don't systematically talk the whole endless militarism, robotic deal that Rubio, Jeb, Fiorina, Christie etc clearly do.

Just saying that the Iraq war was a mistake, and that we should let other nations lead or dominate in their region of the globe, has put Trump and Carson on the outs with the War Party world empire crowd. Rand is already on the outs, but he's at 4% so they aren't worried about him. This month they concentrated on pushing down Carson (the real reason why his numbers dropped), and in the coming month the establishment will push down yet again on the Donald. The hawks want one invasion after another in the Mideast with no exit, period, and Trump and Carson won't guarantee that. The war elite is still intent on taking both out, they're just trying to do it at a time.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 11-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Some very good points in posts above, it could have been combination of these factors.

On a lighter note, wonder of this thread played a part in his campaign's fall:

Ben Carson: Christians, Jews, Muslims all believe in God, Jesus preached love and acceptance

2008 Roundtable discussion with Marian Wright Edelman
    In 2008, weeks after Obama won the presidency, Carson appeared at a U.S. News and World Report round table Q&A with Marian Wright Edelman, the woman who eulogized Saul Alinsky at his funeral in 1972.When asked to express his feelings about the election, Dr. Carson was excited that those "young black males" finally had their role model. "It's absolutely a wonderful thing that our country can elect somebody who looks like Barack Obama."

2008 January 11, PBS Q&A on religion and ethics
    On healthcare as a "moral issue:"
    Dr. Carson: I see the insurance issue, the coverage of people for health care in our country, as a huge moral issue. And, you know, for the richest country in the world to have 47 million people without health insurance is ridiculous.

On immigration:
    [W]e continue to harass and deport many individuals who are simply seeking a better life for themselves and their families."

On Hollywood:
    Prejudice is generally born out of ignorance and the propagation of myths; fortunately, Hollywood and the media have eliminated a great deal of misinformation about different races and nationalities.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...own_words.html

On The Defensive, Ben Carson Unleashes Litany Of Anti-Obama Conspiracy Theories
    Nov 7, 2015
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...racy-theories/

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post

EM.

He is also soft hearted.

Ben Carson: Kindness is the most important virtue

CBS News-Nov 26, 2015
    In the midst of a fairly caustic campaign season, Ben Carson is calling for a little more kindness. He's also urging Americans to talk to people ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-cars...ortant-virtue/