Thread: Lawmakers want loophole closed that allows people on terror watchlist to buy guns

Lawmakers want loophole closed that allows people on terror watchlist to buy guns

What could possibly go wrong?

WASHINGTON — Many Democrats and even Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is saying that a loophole needs to be closed that allows thousands of people with ties to terror groups to buy guns.

While the debate continues on what to do about Syrian refugees, Democrats in the U.S. Senate are warning there's a bigger safety threat from suspected terrorists already in the U.S.

Individuals on the federal terrorist watch list are allowed to legally buy firearms and explosives.

“These are people who are either part of a terrorist group or suspected of taking part in terrorist activity,” said David Maurer, with the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...e-terro/npWwH/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who is on this "list"..?

by what criteria?

and what is the redress?

Inquiring minds like to know.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Does posting on RPF qualify as a terrorist activity?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Not necessarily.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Talk about "terrorist activities"... ONE MILLION AMERICANS CANNOT BE WRONG.

TERROR WATCH LIST COUNTER: A MILLION PLUS

Why are there so many names on the U.S. government's terrorist list?

In September 2007, the Inspector General of the Justice Department reported that the Terrorist Screening Center (the FBI-administered organization that consolidates terrorist watch list information in the United States) had over 700,000 names in its database as of April 2007 - and that the list was growing by an average of over 20,000 records per month.1 (See also this new March 2008 report.2 )

By those numbers, the list now has over one million names on it. Terrorist watch lists must be tightly focused on true terrorists who pose a genuine threat. Bloated lists are bad because

they ensnare many innocent travelers as suspected terrorists, and
    because they waste screeners' time and divert their energies from looking for true terrorists.
    https://www.aclu.org/terror-watch-li...r-million-plus
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

and we KNOW that terror watch list is the least bit accurate because.......?

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Who is on this "list"..?

by what criteria?

and what is the redress?

Inquiring minds like to know.
    if you saw the List They would have to kill ya

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not even sure it qualifies as "activity".
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Reported.

If I am a "terrorist" and I want to buy a gun, I'm getting it on the black market, period - regardless of any "loophole" that might allow me to purchase it "legally."
    (For just one thing, black market sellers will not likely snitch me out for my purchase, while any "legal" sellers will be required to do so by law.)

IOW: This is just more boogity-boogity bull$#@! (a.k.a. "security theater") that will accomplish absolutely nothing - and is not intended to accomplish anything - except to (1) further demonize and/or curtail gun rights, and (2) impress rubes, dupes and idiots ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    If I am a "terrorist"
    If?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Guilty until proven innocent. I think we should trust the government on this one.

Who created the "loophole" in the first place?

Trump needs to get hit hard for this.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Trump needs to get hit hard for this.
    All he has to do is sell it as disarming the Muslims and his supporters will deify him.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    All he has to do is sell it as disarming the Muslims and his supporters will deify him.
    Let his supporters do that. But if he wants to become president or even the Republican nominee, he needs to grow that support.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Let his supporters do that. But if he wants to become president or even the Republican nominee, he needs to grow that support.
    All of the seeds that I've seen so far are rotten or otherwise completely useless.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Not Necessarily. not just posting..

but supporting Ron Paul, Bob Barr or Chuck Baldwin was enough to do it.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Secret government lists that extinguish fundamental rights for people on them?

Oh yeah, great idea.