Thread: Ted Cruz is a Reagan Conservative: Rebuttal Thread

Ted Cruz is a Reagan Conservative: Rebuttal Thread

I'm seeing more and more this past week Ted Cruz being referred to as a Reagan Conservative. I thought it would be good to start a rebuttal threat to this, to give ammo in countering such suggestion.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The main rebuttal is that we can and must do better than Reagan. The nation can't afford to have Republican presidents who can't do any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The main rebuttal is that we can and must do better than Reagan. The nation can't afford to have Republican presidents who can't do any better than that.
    Yeah, in terms of policy positions there probably isn't much difference between Reagan and Cruz at all. Primary difference is personal- Reagan was much more likable. Reagan was a failure from a Conservative standpoint on a number of important issues. Cruz would fail on these same issues for the same reason. We need to do better than Reagan.

I think Cruz is an exaggerated version of Reagan. He is slightly more hawkish, much more socially conservative and probably has similar views on economics.

I don't know that there is a rebuttal. I think it is pretty accurate and a backhanded compliment, though most Republicans can't imagine someone better than Reagan.

Reagan wasn't even a Reagan conservative.

So who is this thread for? Because I can't see many, if any, people on this forum saying this and I doubt the press is going to heed by the opinion of a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    So who is this thread for? Because I can't see many, if any, people on this forum saying this and I doubt the press is going to heed by the opinion of a forum.
    Simply intending to provide counter claims to Cruz being Reagan 2.0 to be used when it is brought up by voters. I've seen it mentioned now about a dozen times in the past week on Cruz articles and other places. I'd like for us to be able to counter with reasons why Cruz isn't like Reagan. The reasons Reagan may not be a Conservative or not an ideal liberty president is irrelevant, since it's not intended to change GOP voters minds on Reagan, but Cruz.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Michael Reagan: Rand Paul “gets” my dad.

In the midst of the war of words between Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) over who best represents Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy, the late president’s son Michael Reagan has weighed in on Twitter.

“Rand Paul Gets it” Reagan wrote Tuesday, Tweeting the link to Paul’s Breitbart op-ed, “Exclusive–Rand Paul: Stop Warping Reagan’s Foreign Policy.” http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...Foreign-Policy

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cruz is a George Bush republican, he is running on a similar platform George Bush did in 2000. Rand is the only Reagan conservative who really understands Reagan's diplomacy, his foreign policy of trust but verify, and peace through strength.

This.

...no, thanks, I don't want to buy a new car

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

..it's really depressing that there are still people who idolize, apologize for, etc., the gd fool puppet reagan...gd republican fools...

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard60.html

Cruz is easily better than Reagan. That gives some perspective on how great Rand would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Reagan wasn't even a Reagan conservative.
    I can't say anything better than these two truths.

+reps

If Cruz is a Reagan Republican, then Rand is a Coolidge Republican.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic