Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Can’t We Talk About Islam Honestly?

Why Can’t We Talk About Islam Honestly?

The Left is trying to chill another debate with frivolous accusations of racism.
    By David Harsanyi - November 25, 2015

Islam is not a race. Islam is not an ethnicity. Islam is a religion and a political philosophy. And it is distinct from other religions and political philosophies.

Pointing this fact out does not make a person obsessed with hatred or racism. A Muslim might hold moderate views or he might hold extreme ones. If we act as if the color of people’s skin rather than their beliefs define them, we’re engaging in a curiously narrow-minded discussion about one of the world’s great faiths—one that is comprised of all races and many ethnicities.

Yet this is exactly the formulation many on the Left demand.

I bring this up after reading Charles Blow’s latest overwrought piece, in which he wishfully contends that “Anti Muslim is Anti America.” Conflating a bunch of insane Trumpisms and GOP overreactions with completely legitimate concerns about illiberalism within Islam, Blow asserts we should put “a lid on this corrosive language.” What he means is that we should accept his ahistorical interpretation of what America and Islam means—though he gives no indication that he comprehends either.
    Now, you might argue that politicians have no reason to tweak the brittle sensibilities of fundamentalists. We don’t want the president to create more terrorists by saying stuff that’s offensive to terrorists, after all. But do the rest of us have to embrace this dishonesty? Why do we keep doing it?
    But, as Bill Maher recently said on “Real Time“: “This idea that all religions share the same values is bull$#@! and we need to call it bull$#@!. If you are in this religion, you probably do have values that are at odds [with American ones]. This is what liberals don’t want to recognize.” We see this in Pew poll of the Islamic world, which shows vast numbers of Muslims philosophically opposed some our basic liberal notions, but also in polls closer to home.
    The GOP may well be overreacting to the Syrian refugee question, though its concerns are well within the bounds of reasonable discourse. American Muslims should never have their freedoms and protections undermined. But Islam does not deserve special immunity from criticism, any more than Seventh-Day Adventists or Mormons or anyone else.
    What is “un-American,” though, is trying to chill debate with frivolous accusations of racism.
    More: http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/25/...slam-honestly/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The Left is trying to chill another debate with frivolous accusations of racism.
    Why don't we start by treating terrorists as individuals or specific groups instead of making them all Muslims first, terrorists second? There are almost as many Islamic sects as there are Christians; people are continually screaming that all Muslims are terrorists, when in fact, very few are.

We should also be much more honest about the subject of BLOW-BACK.

Most so-called "terrorism" is blow-back for bombing countries and killing innocents by self-righteous so-called "Christian" nations.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Why don't we start by treating terrorists as individuals or specific groups instead of making them all Muslims first, terrorists second? There are almost as many Islamic sects as there are Christians; people are continually screaming that all Muslims are terrorists, when in fact, very few are.

We should also be much more honest about the subject of BLOW-BACK.

Most so-called "terrorism" is blow-back for bombing countries and killing innocents by self-righteous so-called "Christian" nations.
    Your right. We should explain that these 'radical Islamic fundamentalist jihadists' are in actuality only those who actually follow Islam as Muhammed taught it, and unlike the other moderate peaceful Muslims, are only acting like how the great apostles of Islam have spread the faith since the beginning, namely with threats of violence, fear, and with the sword.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Your right. We should explain that these 'radical Islamic fundamentalist jihadists' are in actuality only those who actually follow Islam as Muhammed taught it, and unlike the other moderate peaceful Muslims, are only acting like how the great apostles of Islam have spread the faith since the beginning, namely with threats of violence, fear, and with the sword.
    Do you want to have talk christian terrorism?, Secular terrorism? , Irish terrorism? , Quebec terrorism? or the definition of terrorism?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
    Do you want to have talk christian terrorism?, Secular terrorism? , Irish terrorism? , Quebec terrorism? or the definition of terrorism?
    I'm sorry. I don't understand.
    +

//
    Last edited by Yieu; 11-26-2015 at 01:32 AM.

I'm sorry. I don't understand.
    I am just skeptical? Can't you figure what I am arguing about?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    I am absolutely disgusted at the recent string of racism and religious hatred I have seen lately. Hating others based on their religion, or hating their religion, shows as much of a lack of intelligence as racists / culture warriors do.
    I am a Christian. I don't hate Muslims. I do hate Islam however, for the satanic teachings it has which has brought many to condemnation.
    +

I am just skeptical? Can't you figure what I am arguing about?
    No? Can you ask it more clearly?
    +

I can't because I don't know anything about Islam.

I'm not interested in learning either.

//

No? Can you ask it more clearly?
    The idea that one religion is superior over another?

But Islam teaches people another way to reach the same God that Christianity is trying to reach. Do you hate God, or just people who approach Him differently than you?

I am Hindu, but not by birth. Do you hate my faith? I worship the same God as you, whether you agree or not.
    Do you worship the Holy Trinity? If you do not, then we do not worship the same God.

This does not mean I hate you, so please stop accusing me of that. I do hate Islam and any other religion which teaches to kill the infidel and subjugate them and leads them straight to hell.
    +

The idea that one religion is superior over another?
    Are you saying that all religions are equal?
    +

Mohammad did not teach that. Try reading the Qu'ran- it is much less violent than the OT.

Mohammad taught to respect the Children of the Book- Jews & Christians. While the Christians were engaging in the Crusades, St Francis was allowed inside the tents of the captains of the Islamic armies because he was kind and thoughtful; he became their friend.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But Islam teaches people another way to reach the same God that Christianity is trying to reach. Do you hate God, or just people who approach Him differently than you?

I am Hindu, but not by birth. Do you hate my faith? I worship the same God as you, whether you agree or not.
    No, don't agree. My God is part of a trinity. Your god is not. Neither is the Islamic god. No offense, but it's just the fact. But, I will also defend your right to worship as you choose.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Mohammad did not teach that. Try reading the Qu'ran- it is much less violent than the OT.

Mohammad taught to respect the Children of the Book- Jews & Christians. While the Christians were engaging in the Crusades, St Francis was allowed inside the tents of the captains of the Islamic armies because he was kind and thoughtful; he became their friend.
    I have many Muslim friends. One of my groomsmen is a Muslim. (He eventually married a Christian, thanks be to God.)

I have also read the Quran. The same verses used by the jihadist to justify their evil. It's written in black and white. Should I reference them?

The Old Testament had violent episodes, because Christ had not yet come to reveal the Father. So using those examples of a gone time under a different covenant does not justify the evil done by Christians or non Christians. As for the history of how Islam has spread from the beginning, that too can be found in the history books.

Muhammed was a cross dressing pedophile who was deluded by a demon. That he 'respected' the Children of the Book while taxing them and cutting off their heads is a joke.

My Muslim friends are very good people, who treat me with respect and who I treat with respect back. But to the devout follower of Muhammed, who actually follow his version of missionary work (IOW, those 'radical fundamentalist jihadists), they would be considered substandard Muslims. They realize that. Too bad others don't.
    Last edited by TER; 11-25-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    +

Because in this current climate of double speak and everybody walking around with sticks up their asses, nothing can be talked about honestly or seriously.

Which is, of course, the whole point.

To have a whole society "go tharn", become mentally and spiritually constipated to the point of not being able to lift a finger against its own demise.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-25-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The Left should apologize - this NOT racism.

We are talking about ETHNIC CLEANSING.

The zionuts have a right to invade Palestine , circa, 1925 . BUT the "Islamofascists" had NO RIGHT TO RETALIATE

The US had a right to recognize Israhell and declare that the opposing Palestinians had no right the US has to recognize;

The US had a right to invade Iraq and parked itself there for 18 $#@!ing years - while there the US had the right to systematicall kill women and children and if the "islamofascists" don't like it, too bad

The US had a right to wipe out Syria in its entirety - The US needs to make Israhell a massive regional power - if the "islamofascists" don't like it or if they seek refuge in the US , well, too $#@!ing bad

Last edited by Contumacious; 11-25-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    .DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

//

I worship Jesus' father, you can't love Jesus' father without loving Jesus so I worship Him too, and my faith has another word for the Holy Spirit but the same concept, and so I can answer yes to that.

I suppose it is reasonable to hate the sects that find it acceptable to kill non-believers or those who leave the faith, because killing is an act of aggression, which is immoral / against the NAP / against ahimsa.

The reason I think people might hate me for my faith is because I see Christians on here who act like they hate me for my faith, but not all Christians are like that however. I think it's mostly the Calvinists on here, and that may be because they tend to reject and hate everyone.
    Well, I don't hate you, and neither does Christianity teach to hate you. But we are taught to hate sin, and the acts which cause men to fall from grace, starting with our own sins and sinful acts.
    Last edited by TER; 11-25-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    +

//

I worship Jesus' father, you can't love Jesus' father without loving Jesus so I worship Him too,
    How?

and my faith has another word for the Holy Spirit but the same concept, and so I can answer yes to that.
    In Christianity, the Holy Spirit is not a concept. So we have a bit of trouble with the "same god" theory there.

I am monotheistic though, to be clear.)
    Well I'm not sure how this can be... I don't know much about Hinduism but I'm fairly certain I've heard of at least (edit) four different gods by name, and my understanding is that there are hundreds. Can you be more explicit in how that jives with monotheism?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I worship Jesus' father, you can't love Jesus' father without loving Jesus so I worship Him too, and my faith has another word for the Holy Spirit but the same concept, and so I can answer yes to that.

I suppose it is reasonable to hate the sects that find it acceptable to kill non-believers or those who leave the faith, because killing is an act of aggression, which is immoral / against the NAP / against ahimsa.

The reason I think people might hate me for my faith is because I see Christians on here who act like they hate me for my faith, but not all Christians are like that however. I think it's mostly the Calvinists on here, and that may be because they tend to reject and hate everyone.
    When have I ever expressed hatred toward anyone here? I never have.

I have many Muslim friends. One of my groomsmen is a Muslim. (He eventually married a Christian, thanks be to God.)

I have also read the Quran. The same verses used by the jihadist to justify their evil. It's written in black and white. Should I reference them?

The Old Testament had violent episodes, because Christ had not yet come to reveal the Father. So using those examples of a gone time under a different covenant does not justify the evil done by Christians or non Christians. As for the history of how Islam has spread from the beginning, that too can be found in the history books.

Muhammed was a cross dressing pedophile who was deluded by a demon. That he 'respected' the Children of the Book while taxing them and cutting off their heads is a joke.

My Muslim friends are very good people, who treat me with respect and who I treat with respect back. But to the devout follower of Muhammed, who actually follow his version of missionary work (IOW, those 'radical fundamentalist jihadists), they would be considered substandard Muslims. They realize that. Too bad others don't.
    Jihad in the Qu'ran is PERSONAL. It means to wage war on one's own faults and sins; it is NOT about war with others. Because some interpret it that way, does not make it so.

BTW- as far as "cross-dressing"- everyone wors skirts in those days- hate to tell you so.
    There is no spoon.

Let's stick to the OP...

debating religious philosophies like Hinduism is cool and all.... do it via chat or PM... This is already spiraling into "I'm more Christian than you and you're all going to hell" type of thread....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Love the Hindu religion. One of my favorite all-time books is "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yoganada. It is beautiful and filled with love for all mankind.

Many Hindus believe in Christ- it is called Christ Consciousness and is a integral part of some Hindu sects.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Let's stick to the OP...

debating religious philosophies like Hinduism is cool and all.... do it via chat or PM... This is already spiraling into "I'm more Christian than you and you're all going to hell" type of thread....
    Agree.
    There is no spoon.

Jihad in the Qu'ran is PERSONAL. It means to wage war on one's own faults and sins; it is NOT about war with others. Because some interpret it that way, does not make it so.

BTW- as far as "cross-dressing"- everyone wors skirts in those days- hate to tell you so.
    the Qu'ran - like all religious texts - are open to wide ranging opinions. There is always someone like you to come around claiming to have the one true interpretation.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast