Thread: Police Bust Weekly Mahjong Game Played By Elderly Women

Police Bust Weekly Mahjong Game Played By Elderly Women

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. (CBS Tampa) — Police in Florida busted a game of mahjong in Florida at a condominium clubhouse. The group accused of the crime: four women between the ages of 87 and 95.

Heritage Florida reports that police came to shut down the friendly game played by Lee Delnick, Bernice Diamond, Helen Greenspan and Zelda King.

King says word spread about their weekly gathering and that a “troublemaker” in the community called the police citing a law that prohibits playing the game for money. Police closed the clubhouse.

The women were sent a formal notice from condominium management stating that there would be no more mahjong, bingo, or poker played in the location until further notice. Police reportedly stopped by several times later that week to make sure the games weren’t being played.

“This is ridiculous,” King said. “We haven’t played in the clubhouse for weeks! We have to go to each other’s homes to play and not everyone lives in Escondido. It is an international game and we are being crucified!”

The 87-year-old said the game is good for the elderly and that even her doctor has told her that it can delay dementia. The women suggested they could “just play for fun” without money, but the property manager said they should “lay low,” until things were resolved.

After a bit of investigating, officials came to the conclusion that there is no ordinance prohibiting mahjong gambling of the nature.

Heritage Florida did find Statute 849.085, which states: “Certain penny-ante games are not crimes; ‘Penny-ante game’ means a game or series of games of poker, pinochle, bridge, rummy, canasta, hearts, dominoes, or mahjong in which the winnings of any player in a single round, hand, or game do not exceed $10 in value.”

The women playing had a $4 limit. The women also had homeowner rights, were over the age of 18, and were not enforcing debt to be paid.

It is unclear what ordinance the caller thought the group of ladies were violating and why police officials decided to break up the game.
    http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2015/11/24...elderly-women/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Protected and served.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Heritage Florida did find Statute 849.085, which states: “Certain penny-ante games are not crimes; ‘Penny-ante game’ means a game or series of games of poker, pinochle, bridge, rummy, canasta, hearts, dominoes, or mahjong in which the winnings of any player in a single round, hand, or game do not exceed $10 in value.”
    This law was passed as a result of a story that made national news before the internet. A group of men known as the Largo 8 were actually convicted of gambling in a penny ante poker game.

Am I the only person who remembers this? It was 1982. I understand why people under 40 might not know. But in the ranks of law enforcement and prosecutors, is there nobody on the front lines with any inclination to investigate the laws before initiating raids, especially over stupid victimless crimes?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    But in the ranks of law enforcement and prosecutors, is there nobody on the front lines with any inclination to investigate the laws before initiating raids, especially over stupid victimless crimes?
    Law enforcement is too busy keeping you safe to bother with that sort of thing.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    This law was passed as a result of a story that made national news before the internet. A group of men known as the Largo 8 were actually convicted of gambling in a penny ante poker game.

Am I the only person who remembers this? It was 1982. I understand why people under 40 might not know. But in the ranks of law enforcement and prosecutors, is there nobody on the front lines with any inclination to investigate the laws before initiating raids, especially over stupid victimless crimes?
    Government workers aren't always lazy, but when they are, they prefer to go in with guns blazing.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Wow. Talk about a 'way-back.' You have a good memory. I do remember hearing about this from one of my parents friends that still lived in Homestead after we had moved.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Wow. Talk about a 'way-back.' You have a good memory. I do remember hearing about this from one of my parents friends that still lived in Homestead after we had moved.
    Ha ha. I can remember things that happened 30 years ago, but ask me about something that happened last week and the results will be much different.

Part of the reason i remember it is because when i lived in Florida, "everybody" knew that gambling in FL was not illegal as long as the pot didn't exceed $10.00.

It is unclear what ordinance the caller thought the group of ladies were violating and why police officials decided to break up the game.
    To show those uppity Mundanes just who the $#@! the boss is around this here plantation.

Is there ever any other reason?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are they the wives of the Cosa Nostra dons?

OK, so let us run this down.

1. Some douchebag, whether maliciously or ignorantly, calls police and cites a non-existent ordinance.

2. Other douchebags, known commonly as "the police", act on the complaint.

3. Police-douches had NO idea whether such an ordinance actually existed.

4. Police-douches ASSumed it existed and acted accordingly

5. Police-douches raid a klatch of 4 very old women play friggin' mahjong.

6. Police-douches close down the clubhouse. By what authoritity? Police-douche^Police-douche

7. Turned out, there was no such ordinance.

8. Turned out, there was explicit language protecting the exact type of game the young misses were playing.

9. Police-douches make no apologies.

10. Police-douches not held accountable for their bumbling ineptitude.

Nothing to see here, mundanes!
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

...[I]n the ranks of law enforcement and prosecutors, is there nobody on the front lines with any inclination to investigate the laws before initiating raids, especially over stupid victimless crimes?
    Are you for real?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

1. Some douchebag, whether maliciously or ignorantly, calls police and cites a non-existent ordinance.

6. Police-douches close down the clubhouse. By what authoritity? Police-douche^Police-douche

8. Turned out, there was explicit language protecting the exact type of game the young misses were playing.

That about wraps it up and ties it in a bow.

God save the young buck that pushes his chest out to me when I'm in my mid-eighties. I'll be thinking "free sub-par medical care and food" if I live through this.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

Can anyone seriously make the case that this isn't exactly how things have gone down since 1840?

This is exactly what happened to me when the cops caught my daughter trying to walk around the block by herself. They handed us a card given to them by CPS showing ages when kids are allowed to be alone. I asked them how the hell am I supposed to know what the ages are or whether you guys changed them? They said you need to check the code. I told them that was a bull$#@! answer, and neither of them said anything after that.

I looked at their card for a couple minutes and then observed, "You know, if you guys are going to make a big deal about the codes and how I'm supposed to know them, do you think you maybe ought to have the codes listed on this card you're handing out?" No response.

Turns out, no such code exists. They called a commonwealth attorney - because cops absolutely do not make any legal judgments - and the CA wanted to charge us with felony child neglect.
    The magistrate wasn't quite so crazy as that (or, much more likely, he knew it would never stick) so they reduced it to "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". Which is usually for people who buy kids alcohol and such - but the statute is apparently broad enough that they can make almost anything stick.

Which is the point. First they target you, and then they figure out what to stick you with.

But in the ranks of law enforcement and prosecutors, is there nobody on the front lines with any inclination to investigate the laws before initiating raids, especially over stupid victimless crimes?
    What possible reason would there be for them to know anything about the law?
    The only thing they NEED to know is what they can make stick. That's it.
    Because the job of these people is not now, never has been, and NEVER WILL BE to protect or serve anybody but the state.
    That's their job. Cruise around and make people's lives miserable.
    And there are a whole army of them operating in concert to make it happen.

Adam freaking Smith pointed out that people are generally going to do the least amount of work for the most gain. So if you tell people to go catch people making trouble, they're going for the lowest hanging fruit they can get.

It doesn't matter what the law says: all that matters is that they caught a troublemaker. As I've pointed out multiple times here: if you want them to do something else, something better, you're not talking about cops anymore.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Can anyone seriously make the case that this isn't exactly how things have gone down since 1840?

This is exactly what happened to me when the cops caught my daughter trying to walk around the block by herself. They handed us a card given to them by CPS showing ages when kids are allowed to be alone. I asked them how the hell am I supposed to know what the ages are or whether you guys changed them? They said you need to check the code. I told them that was a bull$#@! answer, and neither of them said anything after that.

I looked at their card for a couple minutes and then observed, "You know, if you guys are going to make a big deal about the codes and how I'm supposed to know them, do you think you maybe ought to have the codes listed on this card you're handing out?" No response.

Turns out, no such code exists. They called a commonwealth attorney - because cops absolutely do not make any legal judgments - and the CA wanted to charge us with felony child neglect.
    The magistrate wasn't quite so crazy as that (or, much more likely, he knew it would never stick) so they reduced it to "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". Which is usually for people who buy kids alcohol and such - but the statute is apparently broad enough that they can make almost anything stick.

Which is the point. First they target you, and then they figure out what to stick you with.

What possible reason would there be for them to know anything about the law?
    The only thing they NEED to know is what they can make stick. That's it.
    Because the job of these people is not now, never has been, and NEVER WILL BE to protect or serve anybody but the state.
    That's their job. Cruise around and make people's lives miserable.
    And there are a whole army of them operating in concert to make it happen.

Adam freaking Smith pointed out that people are generally going to do the least amount of work for the most gain. So if you tell people to go catch people making trouble, they're going for the lowest hanging fruit they can get.

It doesn't matter what the law says: all that matters is that they caught a troublemaker. As I've pointed out multiple times here: if you want them to do something else, something better, you're not talking about cops anymore.
    Spot on. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-United-States