Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KY Governor to challenge Rand Paul for Senate seat

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post
    I'm from KY. Dems outnumber Reps by like 2 to 1. KY is mostly ran by Dems. But nationally, they vote Rep the vast majority of the time.
    The voting demographics in Kentucky are changing, the same is the case in West Virginia. The national Democratic Party has raped the coal industry something fierce and it has cost both of these states dearly in economic terms. The Democrat Parties in both states have trended center-right, particularly on matters of the environment and federal interference with state matters, but now they are being unavoidably linked to the national party, so they are in a state of decline. This has been happening in many southern and mid-western states, or anywhere that has rich deposits of fossil fuels and a desire to expand economically.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    The voting demographics in Kentucky are changing, the same is the case in West Virginia. The national Democratic Party has raped the coal industry something fierce and it has cost both of these states dearly in economic terms. The Democrat Parties in both states have trended center-right, particularly on matters of the environment and federal interference with state matters, but now they are being unavoidably linked to the national party, so they are in a state of decline. This has been happening in many southern and mid-western states, or anywhere that has rich deposits of fossil fuels and a desire to expand economically.
    The hard left social policy of doing things like throwing County Clerks in jail over marriage isn't doing the KY Dems any favors either. In fact, I think that was the main factor in Bevin's win. Conway types are total squishes, they don't want to be seen as Obama minions but they don't have the guts to really stand up to him either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How many governors ran for senate ever?
    A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The hard left social policy of doing things like throwing County Clerks in jail over marriage isn't doing the KY Dems any favors either. In fact, I think that was the main factor in Bevin's win. Conway types are total squishes, they don't want to be seen as Obama minions but they don't have the guts to really stand up to him either.
    There really isn't anything they can do. The racial realignment that has already been completed in most of the South is now hitting Kentucky and West Virginia too. In a decade there aren't going to be any white Democrats left in either state, and since both states are overwhelmingly white, that means no elected Democrats at the statewide level.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    A lot.
    You are right - http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/forme...n-king-rounds/

10 current senators are former governors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dog View Post
    Beshear is probably the only Democrap in Kentucky that could realistically challenge Rand for his seat.
    I don't think he would be a challenge. For a while there has been a Rand-style Republican wave going through Kentucky. Rand is generally respected by left and right in Kentucky. It's strange to see.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Bring it on. Democrats are desperate. The Bevin election showed that being a D in KY is just not a viable option, especially in a federal race.
    Beshear has partnered with Obama on just about everything...so if Conway couldn't do it, then there is no way Beshear would win. The tone of the article wasn't exactly flattering. I'm thinking hoax.

Last edited by William Tell; 11-25-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: wrong thread
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

How about Rand claim he MIGHT run for Governor? This guy is obviously trying to get rid of Rand Paul which this will force this guy to back off and if Rand Paul does do it he can nullify every federal law under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    How about Rand claim he MIGHT run for Governor? This guy is obviously trying to get rid of Rand Paul which this will force this guy to back off and if Rand Paul does do it he can nullify every federal law under the sun.
    The governor in question already lost reelection. Rand would be threatening to run against a conservative Republican ally of his in the recent governor elect.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Why would Rand run for governor when Matt Bevin was just elected governor (he'll easily be the most pro-liberty governor in the country) and the next election isn't until 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I don't think he would be a challenge. For a while there has been a Rand-style Republican wave going through Kentucky. Rand is generally respected by left and right in Kentucky. It's strange to see.
    its because half the state's workforce is in coal, and with a Dem destroying their livelihood, they are voting GOP/Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dog View Post
    Why would Rand run for governor when Matt Bevin was just elected governor (he'll easily be the most pro-liberty governor in the country) and the next election isn't until 2019?
    My apologies. I should have done my research.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    its because half the state's workforce is in coal
    That's not accurate.

https://kylmi.ky.gov/vosnet/analyzer...ession=oeswage

There was a Rand - Beshear PPP poll from this summer:

Do you approve or disapprove of Senator Rand Paul's job performance?
    Approve 43%
    Disapprove 42%
    Not sure 15%

Do you approve or disapprove of Governor Steve Beshear job performance?
    Approve 43%
    Disapprove 35%
    Not sure 22%

...So
    Steve Beshear is more popular than Rand Paul. Which leds us to the matchup...

If the candidates for US Senate next year were Republican Rand Paul and Democrat SteveBeshear, who would you vote for?
    Rand Paul 49%
    Steve Beshear 39%
    Not sure 12%

A new Randslide!

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    its because half the state's workforce is in coal, and with a Dem destroying their livelihood, they are voting GOP/Rand
    Coal is a major factor in the Eastern part of the state, but the entire state swung hard against the Democrats. I think that it was more due to the increasing Social liberalism of Democratic Party. I think my mom actually voted for Beshear in 2011 when the local Democrats still pretended to be moderate. She voted for Bevin this year.
    Stop believing stupid things

Do you guys think Rand should drop out of his presidential run and just focus on the Senate race? It seems like that might be the best thing to do under the circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    Do you guys think Rand should drop out of his presidential run and just focus on the Senate race? It seems like that might be the best thing to do under the circumstances
    Nope. He needs to stay the course. Nothing indicates that we should make any assumptions about this race yet. Santorum could "win" Iowa again for all we know. There's just nothing all that conclusive in this race.

Cruz might just peak too early, Rubio doesn't seem to be catching on, Carson is tanking, Bush is a dud... The race is about to start fluctuating soon. I feel a Trump implosion nearing in the next two months.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

No, and anyone who thinks he should doesn't understand the circumstances. No votes have taken place yet, the general election is almost a year away, and we don't even have full confirmation that Kentucky's premier pinko ex-governor is even running.

If you're Jonesing to vote for Trump or Cruz, you can do so regardless of whether Rand is still in the race, but I wouldn't say so on here publicly.

I think this should be Rand Paul's choice, some people were amazed why he even announced he was running for re-election. He was the perceived front runner, I've had tunnel vision these last few months but when I was watching the old news coverage where even Ben Carson was saying how he endorses Rand Paul It was as if I was in a different dimension. I don't believe we should let the media dictate Rand Paul's chances, and I think his chances are much higher then it looks. He has been saying that he is running a long term strategy ever since they went into a "tie" at the beginning. Don't count him out yet.

I really don't think his Senate seat is in jeopardy.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    I really don't think his Senate seat is in jeopardy.
    It's not, but if Steve Beshear runs, the democrats are going to put a lot of money in the race in a last ditch effort to win something in the south.

If it happens, Rand will have to campaign to win.

But, nothing interesting in the senate race will happen until the summer, when the GOP nomination for pres is all but done. Still there is no reason for Rand to quit until after Nevada if the results doesn't go our way.

I don't think we should worry about his Senate seat. Democrats will try and throw money to try to take down Rand but it will do them no good. While the outgoing Governor seems like a challenge compared to Conway in 2010, I think we'll do the impossible to keep Rand. As for his Presidential primary chances, Rand will stay in the race for quite a while, because I still think there's room for another reshuffling and Rand will be the one benefitting from it and will leave his mark.

Would be great if he pulls an Evan Bayh and doesn't announce he's not going to run until the very last minute, then some nobody is the only person on the Democratic ballot. Though when it happened in Indiana they just nominated someone by party committee vote.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Wisconsin is also becoming more and more republican.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cruz might just peak too early, Rubio doesn't seem to be catching on, Carson is tanking, Bush is a dud... The race is about to start fluctuating soon. I feel a Trump implosion nearing in the next two months.
    I agree; peaking early is not a good thing. Rand is smart to play it slow and for the long run...but he does need to stay viable enough to make the debate. Although, with CNN's integrity seriously in question in particular regarding Rand, it would seem like they really better try hard to keep Rand in the debate or they will look very very bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12