Thread: Man says he can't cancel son's PeachCare insurance

Man says he can't cancel son's PeachCare insurance

ATLANTA — An Atlanta father says Georgia taxpayers are paying for his son’s health insurance but he doesn’t need the help.

David Wain told Channel 2’s Rachel Stockman that he’s been trying for months to get his son off the health insurance program for low-income families.

“I’ve spent way more than 15 hours by myself on the phone. It is just enormous task for something that should be so easy,” Wain said.

Wain said it is apparently not that simple. When he got full custody of his son, Trevor, 13, his son was on Medicaid’s Peach State Health Plan. Wain now makes a six-figure salary and wants to cancel the insurance.

“All I want to do is cancel his insurance because as a taxpayer I would be upset if someone that made the amount of money that I do had a child that was on Peach State and didn’t need to be,” Wain said.

The Division of Family and Children Services determines eligibility for the Peach Sate Health Plan.

Channel 2 Action News has reported on issues with DFCS’s customer service phone center.

A representative for DFSCS sent over Stockman a statement saying:

“The Division of Family and Children Services is committed to making sure Georgians receive the right assistance at the right time, and we are disheartened to hear Mr. Wain has had difficulty with closing his case.

“Agency staff will take any appropriate action as soon as we receive the specifics of his case.

“The Division continues to make improvements to its service delivery model so that Georgians in need of assistance are served in a timely and compassionate manner.

“Changes implemented through the Division’s One Caseworker, One Family model in August have reduced hold times for Georgians calling the Division’s central hotline by 50 percent. Division staff are also processing applications more quickly as a result of the change.”

“What concerns me most are the people that actually need this health service and have a hard time enrolling,” Wain said.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...surance/npThW/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ///
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Similar thing happened to us. They automatically enrolled my son somehow when my wife was using that Obamacare website to research plans; while she was between fulltime jobs (we didn't ask to enroll him they just did and only found out when the paperwork showed up in the mail.) She got a new job at a hospital that has a killer health care plan soon after and she tried to cancel the state coverage for the kid since he is covered. The told him there wasn't any way to do that, and that it would automatically expire in 2 years.
    Stories like this and the OP just warm my heart. The state never ceases to amaze me, in how much it loves its citizens and is proactive in ensuring our well-being.

Thanks America, for caring. About us.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his