Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver falls below $14

Silver falls below $14

The price for a Silver ounce is now $13.90

Gold is also down to $1,070

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin
    2012: "We may never see sub $30 silver again."
    I am so, so sorry
    Last edited by nayjevin; 11-23-2015 at 05:27 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    The price for a Silver ounce is now $13.90

Gold is also down to $1,070
    Gas is below $2.00, and your point is ?
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Yesterday , I bought a 1932 S quarter , Wed I will sell it for a 17 dollar profit .

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    I put a half tank in the F150 yesterday , about 13 1/2 gallons for 24 dollars. My Nat gas bill last month was 61 dollars , I did not start burning any wood until this billing cycle, or last Fri .

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Must be all that Fed QE causing the value of the dollar to fall and prices to soar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Must be all that Fed QE causing the value of the dollar to fall and prices to soar.
    Maybe it's JP Morgan shorting silver still? Or does anyone have a potential cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    Maybe it's JP Morgan shorting silver still? Or does anyone have a potential cause?
    the US "Dollar" is very strong right now. (for whatever reason) this is why Silver is low for Americans.

BTFD!!

if you are not a "stacker" you might not know that BTFD means.
    (buy the $#@!ing dip)
    Last edited by HVACTech; 11-23-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: zerohedge.com
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems like silver, gold and other commodities were in a bubble. The gains were not sustainable so I don't think it requires conspiracy theories to explain their huge drop anymore than tech stocks did after that bubble popped.

Quote Originally Posted by John X View Post
    Seems like silver, gold and other commodities were in a bubble. The gains were not sustainable so I don't think it requires conspiracy theories to explain their huge drop anymore than tech stocks did after that bubble popped.
    From what I understood previously, the reason why silver was so cheap a few years ago was due to JP Morgan bidding short on silver, meaning placing a bet that the cost of silver will go down, which manipulated its market value below what it would have been without manipulation. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's market manipulation, so there are realistic factors that don't necessarily include a bubble. Based on what I've read in the past, I wasn't under the impression silver was in a bubble, I was under the impression that it was being artificially suppressed -- but I haven't been following it much lately, so I could be wrong.

From what I understood previously, the reason why silver was so cheap a few years ago was due to JP Morgan bidding short on silver, meaning placing a bet that the cost of silver will go down, which manipulated its market value below what it would have been without manipulation. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's market manipulation, so there are realistic factors that don't necessarily include a bubble. Based on what I've read in the past, I wasn't under the impression silver was in a bubble, I was under the impression that it was being artificially suppressed -- but I haven't been following it much lately, so I could be wrong.
    Short selling is not manipulation anymore than buying silver is manipulation. Why would JP Morgan risk billions to "manipulate" the price of silver lower? If they thought it was a bubble and sorted it at 50, how is that manipulation? Given its fallen 70% or whatever and rose so quickly before, does it really make sense to say it wasn't a bubble? Do you think tech stocks and housing were bubbles or were they also "artificially suppressed"?

I'm a fan of simple explanations and I think silver bubbled on speculative buying as many other commodities did around that time. It wasn't anything artificial that caused the tremendous run up or the huge crash, just markets functioning properly.
    Last edited by John X; 11-23-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Short selling is not manipulation anymore than buying silver is manipulation. Why would JP Morgan risk billions to "manipulate" the price of silver lower? If they thought it was a bubble and sorted it at 50, how is that manipulation? Given its fallen 70% or whatever and rose so quickly before, does it really make sense to say it wasn't a bubble? Do you think tech stocks and housing were bubbles or were they also "artificially suppressed"?

I'm a fan of simple explanations and I think silver bubbled on speculative buying as many other commodities did around that time. It wasn't anything artificial that caused the tremendous run up or the huge crash, just markets functioning properly.
    What if JP Morgan (the bank) is shorting to lower the price using the government bank reserve schemes while JP Morgan (the banksters) are buying it up as individuals?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What if JP Morgan (the bank) is shorting to lower the price using the government bank reserve schemes while JP Morgan (the banksters) are buying it up as individuals?
    That would be a conspiracy theory....something he specifically said he wasn't positing.

My (incomplete) understanding is that there may be a lot more paper derivatives for silver than there is physical silver to back it. So the excess paper keeps the price low because people believe it is equivalent to physical. If all that paper ever got redeemed for physical, the price would go way way up. like a run on the bank. or sub-prime.

Ted Butler has been researching and writing about the silver market for years and has done more to expose manipulation and corruption than just about anybody. Still the CFTC refuses to do a real investigation.

Here's a list of his articles.
    http://www.silverseek.com/users/theodore-butler

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    My (incomplete) understanding is that there may be a lot more paper derivatives for silver than there is physical silver to back it. So the excess paper keeps the price low because people believe it is equivalent to physical. If all that paper ever got redeemed for physical, the price would go way way up. like a run on the bank. or sub-prime.
    This is true of all commodity markets....the amount traded as derivatives is much greater than the amount available for delivery. Nobody dealing in futures contracts wants delivery, its hugely expensive and goes against the whole purpose of futures markets as a tool to hedge or speculate. Futures markets are just as likely to inflate as to suppress prices. They basically allow for more accurate price discovery and provide vital hedging and risk mitigation for producers and consumers. They are pure free market inventions, like paper currency or insurance and they would naturally arise in any free market. If you think they are "manipulating" prices you basically don't want the market to set prices and want some sort of price fixing system.

That would be a conspiracy theory....something he specifically said he wasn't positing.
    IF, just to suppose of course.
    the "people" of RPF's.. "conspired" to promote Liberty..
    would that be a BAD thing?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    IF, just to suppose of course.
    the "people" of RPF's.. "conspired" to promote Liberty..
    would that be a BAD thing?
    If it involves deception and defrauding the shareholders of JP Morgan like his example, then yes.

Deflationary depression.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'm no expert on futures or other derivative types so take this with a grain of salt with regards to the real-world silver markets, but it seems to me that if somebody holds one ounce of silver and sells two pieces of paper that both lay claim to the entirety of that same one ounce, then fraud has been committed. Free market or not.

For the same reason I believe fractional reserve banking to be fraudulent and immoral -- unless the banker makes it clear to account holders exactly how their money will be used and they agree to that.

This is true of all commodity markets....the amount traded as derivatives is much greater than the amount available for delivery. Nobody dealing in futures contracts wants delivery, its hugely expensive and goes against the whole purpose of futures markets as a tool to hedge or speculate. Futures markets are just as likely to inflate as to suppress prices. They basically allow for more accurate price discovery and provide vital hedging and risk mitigation for producers and consumers. They are pure free market inventions, like paper currency or insurance and they would naturally arise in any free market. If you think they are "manipulating" prices you basically don't want the market to set prices and want some sort of price fixing system.

I make money from silver , well , every day of the week .

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin
    2012: "We may never see sub $30 silver again."

I am so, so sorry
    OUT OF ALL THE GARBAGE YOU'VE EVER POSTED ON THE INTERNET, THIS IS THE ONE YOU APOLOGIZE FOR

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Start buying at 10.00.
    I will probably buy some tomorrow if I find any around spot .

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    This comment is illustrative of the problem with fiat currency. Commodity money holds a stable price and retains value over the long term. Fiat money rides the boom and bust cycle up and down, becoming increasingly unstable and worth less over the long term.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    This comment is illustrative of the problem with fiat currency. Commodity money holds a stable price and retains value over the long term. Fiat money rides the boom and bust cycle up and down, becoming increasingly unstable and worth less over the long term.
    Commodity based money is very unstable. The real purchasing power of gold and silver is down way more in the last 3 years than the USD has ever lost in 3 years. Having such varying demand as commodities make lending and borrowing very difficult.
    Last edited by John X; 11-24-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    No type of money has been able to avoid the boom- bust economic cycle.

Were prices stable under a gold standard in the US? Our currency finally ended its backing with metals in 1972. Were prices stable prior to that year?

When it gets below $1, back up and load up the truck(s).

In other words, anyone who bought silver from August 2009 to today has lost money in real and nominal terms.

That's probably generous, since people like to pay premiums to own physical metals.

Six years waiting for (at best) dead money.

Collectibles make crappy investments. More at 11.
    Last edited by Jordan; 11-24-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    In other words, anyone who bought silver from August 2009 to today has lost money in real and nominal terms.

That's probably generous, since people like to pay premiums to own physical metals.

Think of it as disaster insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

Hmm....I thought the mantra is that an investor hasn't lost money until they sell at a loss?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast