Thread: Shipping containers turned into apartments in downtown Phoenix

Shipping containers turned into apartments in downtown Phoenix

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...nix-apartments

5:23 PM, Nov 13, 2015

PHOENIX, AZ - Viewed from the street, they look like eight old shipping containers sitting in a new parking lot. It's only when you get closer that you realize that these old containers have actually been recycled into modern apartments.

"There's hundreds of thousands of these just sitting there doing nothing and we really wanted to show that they can be re-purposed into living quarters," Karl Obergh, with Ritoch-Powell and Associates, said.

Sized at just over 740 square feet, the apartments include a living room, bathroom, kitchen, living space and a bedroom.

Take an inside look at one of the units in the video above.

People who have had a chance to tour the apartments found them surprisingly spacious.

"It looks more spacious than a thought it would," Betsy Story said. "It looks contemporary, it looks great."

Developers say the apartments already have a growing list of potential renters.

If you don't want to stay long term, one of the containers will soon be available for short term stays.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "It looks more spacious than a thought it would,"
    "a"? Replacing a personal pronoun with an unrelated vowel is not a Phoenix sort of accent. Sounds like Texan or somewhere between the midwest and rural NE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I hope they're parked in the shade with some really very heavy duty A/C.

The illegals will feel right at home. Heck maybe when they're crammed full we can close the doors and then load them on a flatbed ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I hope they're parked in the shade with some really very heavy duty A/C.
    Not much insulation in a shipping container. And if you want insulation and want to keep the "look" and the weather resistance of the outside of the container, the insualtion has to go on the inside, further reducing interior space. That having been said, modular manufactured housing is an idea LONG past due. Mainstream housing technology is retarded. Partially the fault of building codes, and partially the fault of banks, I would say.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The illegals will feel right at home. Heck maybe when they're crammed full we can close the doors and then load them on a flatbed ...
    And then off to the concentration camps for mass execution? I don't know how much more of this place I can stomach.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

+ rep

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Not much insulation in a shipping container. And if you want insulation and want to keep the "look" and the weather resistance of the outside of the container, the insualtion has to go on the inside, further reducing interior space. That having been said, modular manufactured housing is an idea LONG past due. Mainstream housing technology is retarded. Partially the fault of building codes, and partially the fault of banks, I would say.
    I've given some serious thought to converting shipping containers into make-shift survival housing. I wonder how much they each cost?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And then off to the concentration camps for mass execution? I don't know how much more of this place I can stomach.
    I have no interest, at all, in killing them. I just want them to go back home. We're overfull.

Here in the Netherlands we've had them for years, as apartments for students. In comparison to regular rooms/apartments students rent these things are pretty decent and come with a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen which most students share with 4-10 others.. So quite luxurious for a student.
    "I am a bird"

Yes, that's probably how many of them got here in the first place.

Reminds me of Garfield putting Nermal into a box and shipping him to Abu Dhabi.

Well, I don't consider deportation back to Mexico the equivalent of a concentration camp, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

Here in the Netherlands we've had them for years, as apartments for students. In comparison to regular rooms/apartments students rent these things are pretty decent and come with a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen which most students share with 4-10 others.. So quite luxurious for a student.
    Too ! Thanks.

I've given some serious thought to converting shipping containers into make-shift survival housing. I wonder how much they each cost?
    Depends on where you live. If you're near a port city they're pretty cheap. In the midwest, they seemed to start about $6000 delivered IIRC

Depends on where you live. If you're near a port city they're pretty cheap. In the midwest, they seemed to start about $6000 delivered IIRC
    Thanks for the info. Damn, that's much cheaper than I guessed.

I really appreciate it.

This house was featured on the TV show 'Grand Designs' and was built out of 4 shipping containers, cost 133K (GBP) to build. I don't see a whole lot of downsides to building with shipping containers (ceiling height maybe). They are strong and very durable. When built properly also well insulated..

Pretty modular.. You can make pretty nice combinations. I don't like modern architecture a whole lot but this I like.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 11-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    3-1/2" of spray foam is R-22..

Standard stud walls foamed is 8" off inside dimensions, not that big of a deal to be able to fasten to the walls, paint/trim with standard materials....

This house was featured on the TV show 'Grand Designs' and was built out of 4 shipping containers, cost 133K (GBP) to build. I don't see a whole lot of downsides to building with shipping containers (ceiling height maybe). They are strong and very durable. When built properly also well insulated..

Pretty modular.. You can make pretty nice combinations. I don't like modern architecture a whole lot but this I like.
    Pretty plush (and expensive) for my rustic survival bunker idea.

Well, I don't consider deportation back to Mexico the equivalent of a concentration camp, but maybe that's just me.
    It's not just you.

loveshiscountry

4 to 10 others share one of those?

Pretty plush (and expensive) for my rustic survival bunker idea.
    Maybe one of these units: http://www.today.com/money/sale-deco...und-6C10262995

For sale: Decommissioned missile silo, 40 feet underground

For sale: $750,000

It's the one home where curb appeal doesn't matter, quips listing agent Brian Dominic of Select Sotheby's International Realty.

The missile silo is leftover from the beginning of the Cold War, when the U.S. began developing the Atlas missile system, which placed the missiles in bases throughout the country.

He's right: At first glance, the home in upstate New York isn't anything more than a steel door in the middle of the Adirondacks. But it's below the ground that matters.
    Forty feet underground is the actual residence, set in a decommissioned missile silo. A dozen or so are scattered through the country — one popped up for sale in Saranac, N.Y. in December 2011. Unlike the other silos, explains Dominic, this one remains true to its original function.

"The gentleman who bought it — he’s an Australian architect — had been looking for a unique property and came upon this one," he said. "He thinks it’s an amazing piece of history, so he didn't want to change it; he wanted to restore it."

That meant sourcing original silo parts and cleaning up the rust on existing mechanics. The big red launch button? It's still there on the control panel in the bedroom, which was once Launch Control Center Two.

"There’s an actual launch control desk, and he restored it," Dominic said. The rest of the home still has all the necessary features of a normal single-family residence — kitchen, bathrooms and living area. As for the actual silo that once held the missile? It's 185 feet deep by 52 feet in diameter and could be whatever the buyer wants.

"An organic vegetable farm, hydroponics, precious metal vault, deep-sea diving school, test facility, or even a bird sanctuary," Dominic said.

Well I guess he reached his limit as he hasn't been back since...

I'm not a very good debater because all I can think to do is to call you a worthless sack of - person. You're a miserable - person - who ought to self deport from the liberty movement. People like you are just a $#@! stain running through the forums.

Now, we get to add more insults: disingenous liar. In your first post you want to load people into containers and in your second post you want to pretend you don't advocate for concentration camps. So you'll cram people into railcars but lie about the end destination.

If one considers one of the biggest deportation effort in US history - AFAIK!!! - it only amounts to maybe 10% with documentation issues today:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

That operation occurred with the cooperation (initally) of Mexico. I'm not sure they would be as cooperative this time since labor is increasingly less useful. As such the - uh - "solution" people like yourself advocate will be concentration camps (or prisons or FEMA camps) whether they are here or in Mexico.

Maybe there are some agreements in place already to smooth that issue out. All I know is that hundreds would be deported that really were US citizens (as has happened in the past). Families would be ripped apart in the tens of thousands (today, it is thousands annually) if not hundreds of thousands or millions.

OTOH, if the misidentified deportees included lily white NAZIs from Michigan ...
    Last edited by The Free Hornet; 02-14-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: language

You're right. You're not a very good debater.
    Last edited by angelatc; 02-14-2016 at 04:14 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Well I guess he reached his limit as he hasn't been back since...
    I think he is still mourning over the change in the consistency of his ejaculate.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

“…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq