Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monitoring refugees?

//
    Last edited by Yieu; 11-26-2015 at 01:41 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

//

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    Why do you keep asking the same question that I answered multiple times? If you want to know, go back and read what I've already posted.
    I don't think you have answered that question. I'm talking about Syrian refugees in particular; not just any regular kind of refugee.
    RVO˩UTION

This is not about withdrawing support so much as it is about whether people should be monitored.

I haven't decided if this is enough to withdraw my support. I need more information, such as what exactly he means by wanting to monitor them. But it sure doesn't look good -- I can say that much, and I can say why, which is why I find this thread valuable.
    So you think this thread is "valuable" because it's filled with all kinds of speculation and makes you question Rand?
    RVO˩UTION

//

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    War and disease epidemics are two instances when I think it might be prudent to screen incoming visitors and refugees.
    I think that Rand deserves the benefit of the doubt here in that he likely knows a lot more about what's happening than we do.

I am making a big deal because he is saying he wants to "monitor" the refugees, which is very concerning and so I feel that he needs to answer to how exactly he plans to monitor them. We need to make a big deal over it in order to get that answer from him, so that he understands the importance of that answer.

I'm not trying to tear him down. I'm trying to hold him to a standard, because I expect better of him, and have been passively supporting him, though I actively supported his father.
    Believe me, I get where you are coming from, but if someone did ask him to clarify you wouldn't like the answer. I'm planning to plug my ears, pay no attention to what he says, vote for him, and hope he was lying. If he wasn't lying, and he wins, then he got me. Whatever. I won't donate any money to spread the message of monitoring refugees or maintaining military spending or any of the things he says that do nothing but keep Boobus in a slumber. But I'll swallow my vomit and vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    Ron Paul stood against the idea that 9/11 changed everything, so why should Rand Paul now accept that 11/13 changed everything?
    Ron Paul stood against violating the fourth amendment and patriot act provisions, Rand Paul has too, the difference Rand has described himself as a conservative realist in order to resonate better with public sentiment instead of a libertarian idealist. Rand has said ISIS/Radical ISLAM is a threat to our national security and he is going with public sentiment and not the obama administration.

//

There's nothing valuable about this thread at all. Any thread on Rand Paul Forums that starts out with "I am considering withdrawing my support of his candidacy." should be stricken automatically. It's one thing to ask for policy positions, but anyone making such a statement as the Op is obviously trolling.
    RVO˩UTION

//

I understand that position and it makes sense. I don't know whether I would base my vote on the answer, but I still want to know.

Public sentiment can be wrong, so we should go by a moral standard, not the direction of the wind of public opinion.

This sounds like it could very well be a violation of the 4th Amendment, but we need to hear the details.
    You are absolutely wrong thanks for playing, society sucks, but because it sucks that also means public sentiment decides what is right and what is wrong. If public sentiment says this then you either need to change their minds or get used to it... If public sentiment says that you can marry your cat, then meow you are starting to understand the way the world works.

It is valuable to discuss the moral arguments revolving around the issue. I am not here to say I'm withdrawing support, but I certainly want to discuss the issue.
    There's nothing to be discussed, but speculation. From the way the OP worded his post, I don't think anything useful will come out of this thread. It was in bad taste for the OP to talk about withdrawing his support; especially when he doesn't know any of the details.
    RVO˩UTION

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    If you're dumb enough to withdraw your support because Rand isn't going to just let tons of welfare brats from the Middle East (most of them young men) in here to sap all of our resources and a few of them maybe blowing some stuff up or shooting people, you don't belong supporting his candidacy. Seriously, do your research or just get the fudge out of here. Get over yourself and knockoff the theatrics and melodrama.
    Is Rand for turning away Christian refugees?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

//
    Last edited by Yieu; 11-26-2015 at 01:42 AM.

This is not about withdrawing support so much as it is about whether people should be monitored.

I haven't decided if this is enough to withdraw my support. I need more information, such as what exactly he means by wanting to monitor them. But it sure doesn't look good -- I can say that much, and I can say why, which is why I find this thread valuable.
    Discussion, asking for more info or even questioning Rand's position is part of a healthy discussion. I just have a problem with how this thread was started. For one this isn't part of Rand's official campaign so we only know what Rand or his campaign has said and secondly it just comes off as attention seeking. Why the need to announce/threaten withdrawal of support?

That's not to say that this topic isn't important or anything like that but keep in mind we all have access to the same info (some may be better at finding info so discussions like this can be helpful) and all we can do is interpret what he said or speculate (unless of course there is an insider who decides to speak up), until he or his campaign further explains his position.

So we can't explain exactly what he means because we aren't him and this is a relatively new issue so there is limited information on what his views are. All we can do is speculate or try to interpret what he meant, but of course that won't fulfill your need for an exact explanation.
    Last edited by Rudeman; 11-22-2015 at 02:02 AM.

So you support moral relativism. Well, I do not. I believe there is absolute good and absolute evil, and that there are concrete morals which do not change that were given to us by God through the various religions.
    What is right and true and good does not change with public opinion.
    I don't support moral relativism or whatever that is. I believe that might is right, I believe that we need the Republican nomination and Rand needs to convince the voters that he will keep them safe. I don't think he is trying to intentionally increase government spying but possibly it's just a tip of a hat large group of voters that he cares about what they want too.

Quote Originally Posted by notsure View Post
    There's nothing to be discussed, but speculation. From the way the OP worded his post, I don't think anything useful will come out of this thread. It was in bad taste for the OP to talk about withdrawing his support; especially when he doesn't know any of the details.
    I was trying to convey some urgency. It concerned me that this topic was not already a big discussion, so I thought people might need to know how serious this is. The very first sentence was asking for the details first, by the way.

I thought very hard about whether to continue to support Rand Paul, and I decided I'm staying with him for now. The United States does not need another Clinton or Bush or an anti-Muslim demagogue. I'm not sure I'm going to donate much more to Rand, though.

With all this surveillance on both sides, one inevitable outcome will occur. Genocide.

Here is the problem tho, it wont be "Just the Jews" tho, the Jews of this country will start off with the Muslims and will extend to any that are against the actions of the Status Quo, but the exact same thing will happen in the war torn nations of the Middle East and the "Jews" of that region will also start off with Christians and finally extend to any who oppose the Status Quo that exists there.

The REAL target is never the group of people that start off being the ones being persecuted, but the people like we of the Ron Paul Forums that are the true target. We represent the small and tireless minority that poses the biggest threat to the Status Quo.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

With all the recent buzz about the refugee crisis hitting the USA, with most of the House supporting a pause in the refugee situation, Obama calling for the refugee program to continue its flow and 30+ governors deciding to not receive any refugees, what will be the implications?

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    See post #17.

So he is trying to prevent us from being spied on by allowing more spying to happen? Once a system is in place to spy even more than they already are, they will begin to extol the benefits of using it on citizens too.
    NO. Rand is talking about foreigners. He would much rather stop immigration of any kind from the countries who hate us. This only makes sense until we get our government out of the Middle East.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

//

So you support moral relativism. Well, I do not. I believe there is absolute good and absolute evil, and that there are concrete morals which do not change that were given to us by God through the various religions.

What is right and true and good does not change with public opinion.

Sure, maybe it's mostly speculation, but that is healthy and I am thankful that the original poster brought this to my attention because it is a subject of my interest that I was not aware of.

If he's for turning away Muslim refugees, then he should be for turning away Christian refugees in order to be logically and morally consistent, and not the religious equivalent of a racist.
    Well guess what... Christians, Jews and Atheists aren't joining ISIS
    Last edited by liberty_nc; 11-22-2015 at 07:50 PM.

//

How do we know you aren't unless we monitor you?
    I'm not a Muslim, so why would I be a terrorist?

//

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234