Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring refugees?

//
    Last edited by Yieu; 11-26-2015 at 01:40 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    If you're not going to read the answer I already provided, then I do not see much point in repeating myself.
    Given everything that's been going on Syria, with isis etc; do you think Syrian refugees coming to the US deserve extra scrutiny?
    RVO˩UTION

//

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should be given ankle bracelets.

//

Why are you still asking that when I already answered? I'm going to go out on a limb here and quote the answer again for you, but I shouldn't have to repeat myself.

Allow me to translate that into simple terms.

Screening before they come here: OK, we do that for everyone.

Spying on them after they're here: Not OK for anyone. If you think you would need to monitor them, then don't take them in -- but don't monitor them.
    Well we know fingerprint ID system has proven faulty before. It didn't stop the Iraqi refugee in KY.
    You don't think Syrian refugees require extra scrutiny? You think it's safe to accept them in as much it is to accept anyone from a country who we aren't warring with? I want to know if you think Syrian refugees pose any more of a threat than anyone else or any other kind of refugee.
    RVO˩UTION

Well, then under that logic you should be too. Why not?
    I'm not a Muslim terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    Am I the only one who remembers Paul being against the government monitoring people?
    That was a long time ago. Now we are Republicans, so if they want to monitor the brown folks, or kill them, or whatever, no big deal.

Spying on them after they're here: Not OK for anyone. If you think you would need to monitor them, then don't take them in -- but don't monitor them.
    and who said anything about spying on them? You seem to be making an assumption as to what the word "monitor" means. It could mean a variety of different things.
    RVO˩UTION

//

Well. It seems to me that these refugees are a consequence of our own actions. So, then, my answer would be to just change our actions. How is that? Will it work?

So, then, after we have our monumental revelation to change our actions, the theoretical refugees would just stay in their country and help rebuild the stuff that we caused to be blowed the $#@! up? What about that idea?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-21-2015 at 10:53 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010
    Am I the only one who remembers Paul being against the government monitoring people?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    That was a long time ago. Now we are Republicans, so if they want to monitor the brown folks, or kill them, or whatever, no big deal.
    Rand Paul has always been against unwarranted domestic "spying"; not against "spying" on suspects with a warrant.
    This Syrian refugee business is not about the color of anyones skin. It's about where they're coming from. Are you saying there's nothing to be suspicious or cautious over with these Syrian refugees?
    RVO˩UTION

I'm of the opinion that the use of the term monitor is specifically vague. Lets be honest here, who didn't think when ISIS attacked in France that Rand's foreign policy would be attacked on all directions. Well, Rand is trying to combat that narrative by laying down some common sense legislation with a security hawk buzzword that ultimately will mean little. Rand's been fighting for liberty for decades along side his father... just the other day he said BULL$#@! to more surveillance.

Everyone just relax.

Neither are Syrian refugees. What's your point?
    One of the Paris attackers was a Syrian refugee. How can you say for certain that none of them are terrorists who are trying get into the US under the refugee program?
    RVO˩UTION

//

Once they are here, monitoring them beyond how refugees and citizens are normally treated would be spying on them.
    So explain to me the "monitoring" process. How will they be "monitored"; and how does it differ from how we monitor current refugees and visa holders?
    RVO˩UTION

Quote Originally Posted by notsure View Post
    Are you saying there's nothing to be suspicious or cautious over with these Syrian refugees?
    Probably. They wouldn't be refugees if it weren't for our government's brilliant work over there. Not to mention however many of their family members were killed by U.S. bombs or even just U.S. weapons in the hands of ISIS. I would imagine many of them would be pissed. That doesn't give anyone legitimate authority to "monitor" them. If they were worried about it they should have stayed out of their business in the first place.

//

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

Ask Rand. We're waiting on him to answer. This is important information that he needs to release.
    You're making such a big deal over this and trying to tear Rand down; I thought you would have already known what's going on or how the "monitoring" process worked..
    RVO˩UTION

Based on this statement, it sounds like you are for monitoring them after individually issuing a warrant for each refugee -- of course that would have to be after proving to a judge that there is probable cause that they have committed or are in conspiracy to commit a crime. Of course, if there is no such probable cause -- and there would not be by default, then there would be no warrants and no monitoring.
    Seeing as how they are migrating from a region that is a declared threat to the US; I think we could warrant them collectively. It should be a policy, when dealing such refugees.
    RVO˩UTION

//
    Last edited by Yieu; 11-26-2015 at 01:41 AM.

//

Yieu, do you think Syrian refugees pose more of a threat than regular refugees, and/or that these Syrian refugees should require more scrutiny, especially considering all the strife we've had in the region?
    RVO˩UTION

Neither are Syrian refugees. What's your point?
    How do you know unless you monitor them?

One of the terrorists in Paris was a "refugee".

A lot of lazy people demanding $#@! to be explained to them by random people on an online forum. If you want to determine whether something is enough to withdraw your support of someone then do the research yourself. It's one thing to ask about issues or to discuss them it's another to start threads like this.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    A lot of lazy people demanding $#@! to be explained to them by random people on an online forum. If you want to determine whether something is enough to withdraw your support of someone then do the research yourself. It's one thing to ask about issues or to discuss them it's another to start threads like this.
    For the record, I think my idea will work. Whatever, though. I'm going to go see if there is any stuff going on in the chat thingamabob. I heard that place was cuhrayzaay.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-22-2015 at 07:52 AM.

//

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast