Thread: Autistic man who allegedly attacked young child not arrested

Autistic man who allegedly attacked young child not arrested

ABERDEEN, Wash. -- The mother of a 3-year-old boy is furious that a man wasn't arrested after he allegedly assaulted the child at an Aberdeen playground.

The suspect is developmentally disabled, and prosecutors say that presents a challenging legal issue.

Three-year-old Matthew Svoboda was playing at the park Tuesday when things got ugly. The boy's family claims a 27-year-old man started attacking the child without warning.

"He pulled him off that with one arm and then he started hitting him, either with a closed fist or an open hand," said Matthew's brother, Toby Svoboda.

The boy's mother, Isabel Svoboda, watched in shock.

"He came over and grabbed Matthew by the legs to get him closer and he started socking him," she said.

It wasn't until after they pulled the man away from Matthew that the family realized he was autistic, visiting the park with a group of other developmentally disabled adults.

"I still don't think it's right," Toby said. "He approached Matthew. He ran over to him to do that."

The three people supervising the group placed the man in their van. Police arrived soon after, but instead of arresting the man, they gave him a citation for fourth degree assault, which is a misdemeanor.

"After the situation was over, he was let back in the park to go play again. So that's upsetting," Isabel said.

What's even more upsetting to the family is that the city prosecutor will likely dismiss the case.

"Based on the defendant having autism and having the mental capabilities of a 5-year old," said deputy city attorney Forest Worgum.City officials say the best solution is for the group home to keep tighter control of its clients and try to make sure the man is better supervised.

Representatives from the Harbor Alternative Living Association would not comment on the attack, and neither would anyone from the State Department of Developmental Disabilities, which oversees the association.

"I don't think he should have the privilege to run free like everybody else because he could hurt somebody -- especially a little kid," Isabel said.

Matthew wasn't seriously injured in the attack.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/A....html?mobile=y

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the onus of responsibility falls on the care takers of the group and they should be held accountable for what happened to the baby. It is also possible that the meds that the autistic individual is on is causing aggressive behavior. I think the autistic individual needs help in getting control of that type of behavior and needs to learn that it is not acceptable and it needs to be discerned if they are capable of getting control in that regard. I am not sure it is fair to try the autistic individual in a court of law and put them in prison for this if they can't learn to control the behavior they may need more supervision. I do know that autistic people want a very ridged routine and changes in the routine can cause them anxiety which can be expressed with aggressive behavior towards strangers.
    Last edited by Working Poor; 11-21-2015 at 09:41 AM.

I think the group home should not bring that man out to any park or other venue where he can be exposed to children. I doubt that was his first assault. Keep him in the home and enjoy the day with the nonviolent autistics.

He *targeted* a baby unable to defend against him. Sociopathic.