Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOJ re-indicts Jesse Benton and John Tate after their acquittals

DOJ re-indicts Jesse Benton and John Tate after their acquittals

New indictment renews charges against ex-Ron Paul aides

Nov. 20, 2015

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Federal prosecutors are continuing to pursue criminal charges against top campaign advisers to 2012 presidential candidate Ron Paul.

According to court documents filed Thursday, a grand jury in Des Moines indicted Jesse Benton, John Tate and Dimitri Kesari on conspiracy charges. They're accused of covering up payments to former Iowa Sen. Kent Sorenson, who endorsed Paul in December 2011.

Benton, Tate and Kesari also are charged with causing false campaign contribution reports to be filed and participating in a false statement scheme.

Benton and Tate are charged with causing the campaign to file false records. Kesari was convicted of that charge last month but a jury was deadlocked on the other charges and prosecutors refiled them.

Similar charges, earlier dismissed against Benton and Tate are renewed in the new indictment.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/urn:publicid:...7870d79d277f64

More from POLITICO:

Benton and Kesari were tried last month before a federal jury in Des Moines. Kesari was found guilty of causing the campaign to produce false records concealing the payments, but was acquitted of an obstruction of justice charge. Jurors were unable to reach a verdict on a conspiracy charge as well as charges of causing the filing of false campaign finance reports and scheming to make false statements.

Benton, who served as Ron Paul's campaign manager in 2012, was acquitted of making false statements to the FBI. However, several other charges against Benton were dismissed by the judge before trial, as were all of the charges against Tate.

In his ruling last month, U.S. District Court Judge John Jarvey said prosecutors appeared to have improperly presented evidence to the grand jury that was obtained under promises of immunity. But the judge left the door open to the charges being refiled based on evidence that did not come from immunized statements.

In the new indictment, prosecutors appear to have refiled the dismissed charges and included the counts against Kesari which resulted in the hung jury.

More:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...ndicted-216108
    Last edited by tsai3904; 11-20-2015 at 12:53 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Double jeopardy
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Double jeopardy
    I posted more info from a POLITICO article. It says the refiled charges are for charges that were dismissed (and not for charges where they were acquitted).

Ah conspiracy. When your federal gov can make a real case they fall back on this one and force the plea under penalty of mandatory minimums.

So free. USA USA USA

Politico: Former Rand Paul advisers re-indicted

I chose to put this here, since I don't care to legitimize anything Politico posts and hope this will be non-critical.

Two former advisers to Republican presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) were re-indicted by a federal grand jury in Iowa Friday, just weeks after a criminal trial that produced a muddled result.

The new indictment names as defendants longtime Rand Paul advisers Jesse Benton and John Tate, as well a third man--Dimitrios Kesari, who served as deputy campaign manager on the 2012 presidential bid of Paul's father, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).
    Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/rand-paul-advisers-re-indicted-216108
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    I posted more info from a POLITICO article. It says the refiled charges are for charges that were dismissed (and not for charges where they were acquitted).
    figures...they can make up other charges and keep them in court years.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

So much for double jeopardy...

Are they being charged at the state level now that the Feds dropped charges?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I'm sure they are doing it to harm Rand's chances in Iowa. $#@!s.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Double jeopardy only attaches to acquittals.

Looks like they're being indicted on charges that were dropped before the verdict last time.

...either way, obvious politically-motivated witchhunt is obvious.

Thanks Mod. Didn't see it.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Double jeopardy
    Sorry, goonerments don't need to worry about any pesky "rules"...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Lovely. The gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Sorry, goonerments don't need to worry about any pesky "rules"...
    This is just a $#@! show to draw negative attention to Rand. I hope this blows up in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    To be fair... Rand ain't polling all that well in the Cornhole state, anyway....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    To be fair... Rand ain't polling all that well in the Cornhole state, anyway....
    It seems as if Lindsey Graham would poll well in a state like that.

He just won a youth straw poll, I have no idea what a legit poll would say at this point.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    It seems as if Lindsey Graham would poll well in a state like that.
    Lindsy girl would poll really well in retard land.
    Last edited by rg17; 11-21-2015 at 06:25 PM.

"Looks like they're being indicted on charges that were dropped before the verdict last time"

Basically it's a do-over, a mulligan for for the federal prosecutors who screwed up the case to begin with. You don't get indictments by a grand jury dismissed by a federal judge unless its for pretty sloppy or incompetent work.

Maybe they have new evidence or someone decided to talk who hadn't before but I wouldn't hold my breath on it knowing how prosecutors work. As much as I despise Benton and Tate, this is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Sp apparently they were not dismissed with prejudice. Did the judge refuse that bit or did their lawyers $#@! up?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    "Looks like they're being indicted on charges that were dropped before the verdict last time"

Basically it's a do-over, a mulligan for for the federal prosecutors who screwed up the case to begin with. You don't get indictments by a grand jury dismissed by a federal judge unless its for pretty sloppy or incompetent work.

Maybe they have new evidence or someone decided to talk who hadn't before but I wouldn't hold my breath on it knowing how prosecutors work. As much as I despise Benton and Tate, this is just ridiculous.
    ^^^

And all of this could have been avoided, by Benton anyway, if he had STFU when first approached by the Feds.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And all of this could have been avoided, by Benton anyway, if he had STFU when first approached by the Feds.
    Probably could have been avoided earlier..but I get what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup

When approached by police (feds or otherwise), you say "I'm going to exercise my 5th amendment right," and then STFU.

...not a word after that, nothing.

...it can only hurt, it never helps.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Sp apparently they were not dismissed with prejudice. Did the judge refuse that bit or did their lawyers $#@! up?
    According to Wikipedia,
    Jeopardy attaches in jury trial when the jury is empaneled and sworn in, in a bench trial when the court begins to hear evidence after the first witness is sworn in, or when a court accepts a defendant's plea unconditionally.
    So, if I read the article right, the judge dismissed the charges before the jury was sworn in after learning that some of the prosecution's evidence was provided by the defendant after the defendant was promised immunity.

It's really hard to decide who I don't like more.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    According to Wikipedia,

So, if I read the article right, the judge dismissed the charges before the jury was sworn in after learning that some of the prosecution's evidence was provided by the defendant after the defendant was promised immunity.

It's really hard to decide who I don't like more
    Hint: the prosecution

Neither was Santorum this time in 2011
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    yeah, no one can now look at this with a straight face and say "this isn't a political witch hunt"
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    yeah, no one can now look at this with a straight face and say "this isn't a political witch hunt"
    Who's behind it?
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I can look at this with a straight face and say that a check was passed to Sorenson's media company in exchange for a reversal of support to Ron.

It's not like it didn't happen.

I prefer this....

to this...

and the kicker... just when everyone thought the Herpes had faded it will come up just before the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Ah conspiracy. When your federal gov can make a real case they fall back on this one and force the plea under penalty of mandatory minimums.

So free. USA USA USA
    What's that, sonny? I can't hear you over all this freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast