View Poll Results: Should the US allow Syrian refugees?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 34.88%
  • No

56 65.12%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the US accept Syrian Refugees?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
    It's cute how people want a screening process, but it's impossible.

"Hi my name is Brandywine I am a refugee"
    "Okay, do you have ID?"
    "No, I'm a friggen refugee, I promise that's my real name."
    "Okay sounds good, here let me finger print you even though it's meaningless unless in the future you commit a crime."
    "K thanks."

Am I missing something? We overestimate the ability of immigration, customs, DHS, and FBI officials to magically know people's history and background.
    "cause government is magical.
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Parts of it are. And where it isn't, it's not for having too many people.
    Yes and you know why those particular parts are still doing well and it doesn't have a thing with mass numbers of people.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    How much taxes illegal immigrants are or aren't paying is entirely irrelevant to what's being discussed. Aside from irrelevant links, do you have any original thoughts of your own on the actual subject, or are you simply incapable of addressing the substance?
    Sorry to burst your bubble, really.

Here is moe'.

From the Mises Institute

The Costs of Immigration

According to the Center for Immigration Studies (via the Federation for American Immigration Reform), state government spending on welfare for immigrants is $11-$22 billion through programs like TANF. A report by the Center for Immigration Studies estimated that the Federal Government spend some $26.3 billion on services for illegal immigrants in 2002. These immigrants paid about $16 billion in taxes, leaving us with a net cost of about $10.4 billion (these are their numbers; I know $26.3-$16=$10.3, but there’s rounding error)."

So , obviously you don't know you ass from a hole in the ground.

You are either a Zionut or an American Likudnick hence conflicted by interest.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Bull$#@!. They are just as happy to milk the government as Americana's.
    Abolish the welfare/warfare state and the milking will stop.
    .DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

"Okay, do you have ID?"
    "Okay sounds good, here let me finger print you even though it's meaningless unless in the future you commit a crime."
    "K thanks."

Am I missing something? We overestimate the ability of immigration, customs, DHS, and FBI officials to magically know people's history and background.

Yep, indeed.

Neither the NSA nor its British Counterpart GCHQ, heard about the plans to attack Paris.

Weak as water.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Contumacious View Post
    Recheck your premises.

It's obvious that you can not formulate a proper question without naivete.

Syria is being invaded by Israhell, Saudi Arabia, the US, France, UK, Russia , Daesh, and others.

...lol. OK if Puerto Rico was being invaded by one or all of those countries you listed would yout stay and defend or go and desert your family to support the attacking country?
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Okay, do you have ID?"
    "K thanks."

Nothing like the old days...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Sorry to burst your bubble, really.

Here is moe'.
    So, you are, in fact, incapable of addressing the substance. I suspected as much, and am not at all surprised. Luckily, my expectations of you were low, so I'm not really too disappointed.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

The implication here being that a) the State is capable of "making anyone whole," let alone refugees the State, itself, has caused the displacement of, b) that the only way for them to "be made whole" is to bring them across the world to the U.S. and to thus burden the tax payers, many of whom were against involvement in the Middle East/Syria.

That about right?

Obviously there are many refugees who are in need of assistance. But why is bringing [some of] them to the U.S. the only solution?

Everything the State does costs money, and every dime the State spends is ultimately theft. How much theft does your conscience demand before it is satisfied?
    Actively preventing refugees from coming to the US would also cost money, and involve theft.

If refugees are able to come to the US without US aid, they should be welcomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Actively preventing refugees from coming to the US would also cost money, and involve theft.

It would cost a lot more to clean up after a bomb.

Don't be nuts.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Not possible. Our economy is a ponzi scheme, the welfare/warfare is a byproduct of this arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post

I'm not suggesting that the borders be closed to voluntary immigration.

I'm talking about the State shipping tens of thousands (with plans for hundreds of thousands) of refugees around the world, after processing them each through a uniquely extensive resettlement program involving multiple agencies and bureaucracies that generally takes about 18-24 months of resources and man-hours to complete, and then setting them up with language education, vocational training, job placement assistance, housing assistance, healthcare--the works. This is already costing billions of dollars.

So since the derp above couldn't seem to provide an answer, maybe you can: How much more theft does your conscience demand before it is satisfied? And I'm also still wondering why we're speaking about this as some kind of binary matter, as if we either bring them to the U.S., or we do nothing at all. Why is bringing them to the U.S. being spoken of as the only practical solution?
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

I'm glad to hear it. I've seen a number of right anarchists lean in that direction or outright advocate that very thing, using some of the same language or arguments you did. It's been incredibly disappointing to witness.

I'm talking about the State shipping tens of thousands (with plans for hundreds of thousands) of refugees around the world, after processing them each through a uniquely extensive resettlement program involving multiple agencies and bureaucracies that generally takes about 18-24 months of resources and man-hours to complete, and then setting them up with language education, vocational training, job placement assistance, housing assistance, healthcare--the works. This is already costing billions of dollars.
    I agree.

So since the derp above couldn't seem to provide an answer, maybe you can: How much more theft does your conscience demand before it is satisfied? And I'm also still wondering why we're speaking about this as some kind of binary matter, as if we either bring them to the U.S., or we do nothing at all. Why is bringing them to the U.S. being spoken of as the only practical solution?
    Zero.

The greatest preference would be we do nothing at all - no bombing, warring, or regime change, which would likely lessen the outreach of the consequences of the war there, and no active refusal of refugees wanting to come here.

It'd be the market at work, and it would be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

So, you are, in fact, incapable of addressing the substance. I suspected as much, and am not at all surprised. Luckily, my expectations of you were low, so I'm not really too disappointed.
    Swallow your pride dude.

Just think of all that knowledge you acquired for free.

Go forth and sin no more.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Not possible. Our economy is a ponzi scheme, the welfare/warfare is a byproduct of this arrangement.
    Understood.

But our Alien Friends are NOT responsible for creating it since they don't vote.
    .DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

I think the resistance to letting in refugees after the Paris attacks could be very bad for Rand Paul and the GOP. I'm not even religious and I understand the religious concern with the opposition to taking in refugees. Giving refuge is just the right thing to do. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...istians-215991

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    I think the resistance to letting in refugees after the Paris attacks could be very bad for Rand Paul and the GOP. I'm not even religious and I understand the religious concern with the opposition to taking in refugees. Giving refuge is just the right thing to do. http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...istians-215991
    Ironically, among the governors joining this anti-refugee hysteria is Michigan’s Rick Snyder. He’s been practically begging the Obama administration for immigrants, including Syrian refugees, to revitalize his own security disaster zone called Detroit, long the murder capital of the country. Yet over the weekend he announced that he was going to suspend the refugee resettlement program — never mind that metro-Detroit’s Dearborn is home to the largest Arab population outside of Middle East whose residents, despite occasional scare mongering by official reports, have never committed an act of terrorism."

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

I agree that the government should spend $0 to help refugees. It should also spend $0 to prevent the American people from helping them, or to prevent them from coming to the USA.

I would be in complete agreement with permitting them to take over all of the overseas U.S. Military and allied bases and bringing home the U.S. Military, retiring the lion-share of them out, and dismantling/scraping/recycling all of their logistical equipment and artillery.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    "cause government is magical.
    ...So is using monikers, just as any Mexican border-jumper.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

That's not how it works. More people = more production.
    Production of waste and carbon-credits?

America has no production, it hath been internationally outsourced.

No. A religious test is impossible. If we say only Christians allowed, we'll start to suddenly see a lot more "Christians" around. It is impossible to prove anything in the present situation.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCollins View Post
    No. A religious test is impossible. If we say only Christians allowed, we'll start to suddenly see a lot more "Christians" around. It is impossible to prove anything in the present situation.
    The bacon test...........

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Production of waste and carbon-credits?

America has no production, it hath been internationally outsourced.
    That's ridiculous. But even if it were true, it wouldn't only give me another argument in favor of bringing more foreign laborers inside our borders to pay them to work here instead of somewhere else.

That's ridiculous. But even if it were true, it wouldn't only give me another argument in favor of bringing more foreign laborers inside our borders to pay them to work here instead of somewhere else.
    Great and drive down wages even further while you are at it. Nice! ...America's real (service economy) unemployment rate is already above 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Some historical trivia.

What Americans thought of Jewish refugees on the eve of World War II

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-world-war-ii/
    Too bad they didn't listen. You do realize that most of the Jewish faith have and do vote for bigger government and less liberty, right?
    ================

I agree that the US taxpayers shouldn't be footing the bill to bring refugees over here, but if someone in the US wants to sponsor and be responsible for a refugee, why shouldn't they? A co-worker of mine came to the US as a refugee from a Bosnian concentration camp 20 years ago. Now she's a highly productive US citizen. I don't see why these people shouldn't be welcomed as long as someone is responsible for them.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Yes please.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The bacon test...........
    LOL.

I'd wager they could pass that too. Some type of Jihad exception if it is to fool the infidels.

Can a Reform Wahhabi eat bacon?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic