View Poll Results: Should the US allow Syrian refugees?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 34.88%
  • No

56 65.12%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the US accept Syrian Refugees?

n/m
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You have a valid point-SOMEONE has to take responsibility for the mess. However, I would say the responsibility belongs to the actors directly at fault-the politicians. Let the refugees live in the White House, the Capitol building, the SCOTUS hall, and all the other federal territory in D.C. Also, the homes of the congress-critters, generals, and everyone else who created this mess.
    I'd say the responsibility lies, at the very least, with anyone who supported involvement in Syria, and certainly those politicians who promoted that agenda. There's probably an argument to be made about a share of responsibility extending to anyone who voted for those politicians, as well, but that's another discussion.

So, ideally, the financial burden would fall on the shoulders of those who were responsible in this way.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

There was an analogy written online that really hit home for me:

"Not taking in refugees would be like setting somebody's house on fire and blocking all the exits so they couldn't get out."
    I voted 'yes'.

That said, it's important to do background checks and make sure those we let in are truly refugees and not combatants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    I'd say the responsibility lies, at the very least, with anyone who supported involvement in Syria, and certainly those politicians who promoted that agenda. There's probably an argument to be made about a share of responsibility extending to anyone who voted for those politicians, as well, but that's another discussion.

So, ideally, the financial burden would fall on the shoulders of those who were responsible in this way.
    Excellent point! If TPTB can build a massive domestic spying apparatus, they can certainly bear the human and financial costs of their foreign escapades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Not taking in refugees would be like setting somebody's house on fire and blocking all the exits so they couldn't get out."
    It's more like a gangster sets someone's house on fire using materials bought by money he stole from you a week before, then shows up at your door, points a gun in your face and demands that you let him save them by giving him more money and unrestricted access to your backyard.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

The Bushies have been pushing the "let the Christians in" meme. Another variation of "it's for the children!"

Well, now the terrorists, err, refugees know what to say: "I'm a Christian!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Excellent point! If TPTB can build a massive domestic spying apparatus, they can certainly bear the human and financial costs of their foreign escapades.
    That ain't how you get to be, and to stay, TPTB.

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    There was an analogy written online that really hit home for me:

No, we are just shutting our door, and maybe they will stick around their neighborhood rather than traveling 7000 miles to beg at our door.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    No, we are just shutting our door, and maybe they will stick around their neighborhood rather than traveling 7000 miles to beg at our door.
    They could travel 100 miles south to Saudi Arabia.

hell no!!!

even if they all turn out to be angels, we dont have the damn economy to support more people.

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    hell no!!!

even if they all turn out to be angels, we dont have the damn economy to support more people.
    Zippyjuan?

Can you verify this? Sounds like some doomsday talk to me.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

No. I'm sick of immigrants.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    They could travel 100 miles south to Saudi Arabia.
    The Saudis want them to come here to create chaos and spread Wahhabism.

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    hell no!!!

That's not how it works. More people = more production.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Oh yes you are!

Look for Dear Reader to issue another proclamation, er..executive order, forcing states who want no part of this to capitulate...

I don't feel this is an issue for the feds, and I question if it's even an issue for state government..

County by county would be my choice with the counties who chose to accept "settlers" being required to carry private insurance and post a substantial bond, like 10X whatever the fed chipped in...

Too many view the issue as a humanitarian one when in truth it's a financial one, one group profits destroying homes in Sandville another group profits by "helping" the homeless...

Problem is tax dollars are funding both groups....
    Yeah, I know. I expect that out of Obummer; not out of supposed RP people.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    No, see, they're brown; economics doesn't apply.

Also, they exhale butane.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    No, see, they're brown; economics doesn't apply.

Also, they exhale butane.
    If it's sheer numbers of people who make your economy zoom, then why the hell isn't that working for them in their home countries?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Bull$#@!.

If it's just the number of people who increase production, then hell, Africa should be booming.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    it is obvious you cannot answer serious questions without a tantrum. Let's try this again.....if China was invading Puerto Rico causing strife and chaos would you go to China in peace? Would you stay and defend your family?
    Recheck your premises.

It's obvious that you can not formulate a proper question without naivete.

Syria is being invaded by Israhell, Saudi Arabia, the US, France, UK, Russia , Daesh, and others.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

We need to put them through our education system first. It is not possible to be productive in our country unless you have edjukation and 100k in debt. Who is going to provide student loans for them?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    If it's sheer numbers of people who make your economy zoom, then why the hell isn't that working for them in their home countries?
    Did anyone say that population is the only factor in determining output?

All else being equal, more people means more output.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    We need to put them through our education system first. It is not possible to be productive in our country unless you have edjukation and 100k in debt. Who is going to provide student loans for them?
    They must also be given a free television and cable, so that they can watch the news and become well-informed voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    The implication here being that a) the State is capable of "making anyone whole," let alone refugees the State, itself, has caused the displacement of, b) that the only way for them to "be made whole" is to bring them across the world to the U.S. and to thus burden the tax payers, many of whom were against involvement in the Middle East/Syria.

That about right?

Obviously there are many refugees who are in need of assistance. But why is bringing [some of] them to the U.S. the only solution?

Everything the State does costs money, and every dime the State spends is ultimately theft. How much theft does your conscience demand before it is satisfied?
    The folks at the Reason Foundation disagree with you:

Illegal Immigrants are Paying a Lot More Taxes Than You Think -

Illegals are not milking the government. If anything, it is the other way around.
    .DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

You have a valid point-SOMEONE has to take responsibility for the mess. However, I would say the responsibility belongs to the actors directly at fault-the politicians. Let the refugees live in the White House, the Capitol building, the SCOTUS hall, and all the other federal territory in D.C. Also, the homes of the congress-critters, generals, and everyone else who created this mess.
    That's definitely acceptable to me.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Contumacious View Post

Illegals are not milking the government. If anything, it is the other way around.
    How much taxes illegal immigrants are or aren't paying is entirely irrelevant to what's being discussed. Aside from irrelevant links, do you have any original thoughts of your own on the actual subject, or are you simply incapable of addressing the substance?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Bull$#@!.

If it's just the number of people who increase production, then hell, Africa should be booming.
    Parts of it are. And where it isn't, it's not for having too many people.

Parts of it are. And where it isn't, it's not for having too many people.
    Our economy is a ponzi scheme. We need to import more and more people, otherwise the house of cards will collapse. In the process of doing so, we also drag everybody down. The government is ready to take care of the fallen to some extent so they feel grateful and vote for more spending. They know there are really no opportunities to speak of. Sign up for a $#@!ty job, get some food stamps and live the american dream. Maybe your children will do better if they can get a student loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Contumacious View Post

Bull$#@!. They are just as happy to milk the government as Americana's.
    "The Patriarch"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So even here on RPF's it's 65% no. That probably means 75% of the population feels that way but the State will do what it wants regardless.
    "The Patriarch"

It's cute how people want a screening process, but it's impossible.

"Hi my name is Brandywine I am a refugee"
    "Okay, do you have ID?"
    "No, I'm a friggen refugee, I promise that's my real name."
    "Okay sounds good, here let me finger print you even though it's meaningless unless in the future you commit a crime."
    "K thanks."

Am I missing something? We overestimate the ability of immigration, customs, DHS, and FBI officials to magically know people's history and background.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic