Thread: Ken Cuccinelli on Rand/Rubio exchange

Ken Cuccinelli on Rand/Rubio exchange

Ken Cuccinelli put up a very good post on Facebook a few hours ago regarding the exchange between Rand, Rubio, and also Cruz. I thought I would share it:

A discussion on one aspect of the most recent GOP Pres debate.

I’ll start with my disclaimer: I have not picked a Presidential candidate to support yet. Okay, with that firmly in mind, I’d like to start a discussion on what I thought was one of the most interesting parts of the debate last night.

The exchange that began between Senators Paul and Rubio on spending and defense, which Sen. Cruz later jumped into.

The exchange began with a moderator’s question to Sen. Rubio about his plan for child tax credits, when he defended. Once Sen. Rubio was done, Sen. Paul jumped in to criticize Rubio’s plan as not conservative, and Rand went on to say words to the effect that “this is all on top of the $1 trillion more that Marco wants to spend on defense, without paying for it.” They went back and forth, then Sen. Cruz pushed his way in to say there was a middle way, namely, spending more on defense but actually paying for it with cuts elsewhere (naturally he pointed people to his website where they could see his recently introduced set of proposed cuts… gotta have the website).

After Rubio defended his child tax credit as pro-family and noted that the most important job any of us will have is that of being a parent, Rand jumped in.
    Rand stated (and Rubio did not dispute) that Rubio’s child tax credit plan will cost approximately $1 trillion (the implication was that this would be over the next ten years), AND that Rubio wants to raise defense spending by about $1 trillion over the next ten years. Rand went on to say that while he wants to restore our military, Rubio’s approach is wrong (“not conservative”) because it is not paid for. Rand said he wanted a better military, but he didn’t want America to go bankrupt.

Rubio responded by defending both the child tax credits and increased defense spending.

For purposes of this discussion, let’s treat these as two separate disputes, one over defense spending and one over child tax credits.

Rand’s basic point was that whatever the merits of either proposal, at a point in time when America is almost $20 trillion in debt, it is not conservative to propose such enormous amounts of new spending without providing any way of paying for it. Rand seemed intent on driving home his view that Rubio’s proposals are not conservative.

Rubio vigorously defended both proposals. First, he passionately gave a patriotic pitch for more defense spending – rattling off many of the dangers America faces around the world right now (sometimes in graphic detail, e.g., jihadist beheadings in the Middle East). Rubio asserted that the world is worse off when America is weak, President Obama has hollowed out the military, and we can’t have an economy if we’re overrun by the various threats he cited.

I think this received the loudest cheers of anything during the debate from the people in the arena.

Rubio never indicated that he intended to pay for the increased defense spending. The implication was that the additional debt was worth it to strengthen our military by $1 trillion (we are skipping discussion of how they equated more money to a stronger military). I would consider this a classic neocon position.

Rubio also called Rand an isolationist (a point on which Rand did not fight back).

I’m assuming most of you saw the exchange to which I refer, so I haven’t put every detail in here. I find this to be a fascinating division within the GOP, and an incredibly important one.

I will share that in both of these disputes, I agree with Sen. Paul. I believe the idea of more military spending without offsetting cuts when we have a debt larger than our entire economy can only be defended if we are in a war on the order of World Wars I or II, and that is not the situation we are in right now. Ten or fifteen years ago, I would have agreed with Sen. Rubio. But not anymore, I’ve learned too much over those ten or fifteen years.

One way I look at this issue is across time. I want a better military in 2015, but I also want us to be able to afford a strong military when we get to 2020, and 2030, and so on.

Re the child tax credit, all you have to do is look at the family picture at the top of this page to see that more and bigger child tax credits are very much in my pecuniary interest! And while I appreciate Sen. Rubio’s sensitivity to families as he crafts his tax proposals (again, ten or fifteen years ago, I would have agreed with Sen. Rubio on this point too), I believe that we need to get the government out of the business of picking favorites. There has to be some floor at which taxation begins, and it makes sense to set it on a per person basis, thus reflecting the cost of raising children to some extent, as argued by Sen. Rubio, but changing the current numbers should be a much lower priority than making sure we not only balance the budget, but start paying down the debt we are going to pass along to our children.

Also, note that this is a benefit in the form of a tax credit, it has no impact on economic growth at all.

Before I move on to Sen. Cruz’s interjection into this discussion, let me say one more thing about Sen. Rubio’s defense/national security positions. I think I understand clearly how he would approach defense spending and the conduct of foreign affairs, including his willingness to use our military fairly aggressively. Rubio is a neocon. To some Republicans, that’s a plus, to some of us, it’s not.

I do not have that level of clarity with Sen. Paul.

On to Cruz…

Sen. Cruz managed to elbow his way in after the Rubio/Rand exchange to say “there’s a third way.” Cruz made a point of saying that he agreed with both Rubio and Rand on part of what each of them said. Cruz argued that we do need to spend more on defense, but that we should pay for it.

Cruz then went on to talk about a plan he recently released that contains what he described as over $500 billion of spending cuts. I appreciate this position, but I think the debt is so bad, I want to see the cuts implemented first, then we can talk about other spending (preferably less than the cuts, which is not what Cruz proposed).

These sorts of differences within the GOP have grown over the years, and they don't always fall on ideological lines.
    So, that's my discussion starter. What do you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump good read
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Cruz is lying about wanting to cut spending

Cruz isn't being honest. He's not really interested in paying for defense spending increases with cuts. Cruz wants to continue borrowing. This has been illustrated by his vote against one of Rand's ammendments last spring.
    ...Sen. Cruz pushed his way in to say there was a middle way, namely, spending more on defense but actually paying for it with cuts elsewhere...
    Cruz gave himself away on this point when he voted Yea on Rubio's ammendment to increase defense spending to $611 billion and pay for it by borrowing.
    Later, Cruz voted No on Rand Paul's amendment to increase defense spending to $697 billion and pay for it by cutting spending to; the Dept of Housing & Urban Development, foreign aid to some middle eastern countries that hate us, the EPA, and climate change research.

While both ammendments failed, the vote on Rubios amendment received more support from Republicans. YEAs-32 NAYs-68. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00096

The vote on Rand's ammendment received only 4 Republican votes - from Paul, McConnell, Vitter and Enzi. YEAs-4 NAYs-96 http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00097

I recall that Cruz took a long time to finally cast his No vote on that day, probably concerned about how it was going to be perceived. I also remember a few suggesting that this showed Rand was a being a hypocrite because he was calling for an increase in defense spending (ie; "he's turned neocon", or "he's pandering to neocons"). However, people on this forum were suggesting that in the future, Rand would be able to hang both Rubio and Cruz over this vote.

Why would Rubio, Cruz and the vast majority of Republicans support a lesser amount of defense spending, which ensured an increase in borrowing with NO cuts - over a higher amount of defense spending that cut money from programs conservatives claim to despise? It certainly appears that increasing borrowing is what matters most to them!

edit: There is a thread somewhere on this forum from the day this vote was happening, but the search function here rarely works for me, so I can't find it. I think the date was April 7, 2015.
    Last edited by Valli6; 11-12-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Good read. Rand needs to quote this and add "Actually I put forward a plan to increase military spending offset by cuts by over 600 million which is far more than the Cruz cuts. And when Cruz had the chance to vote for my plan, he instead voted for an increase in military spending that didn't include any cuts."
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

This is exactly why I am so excited about Rand's potential. Of course, I wish he was polling more strongly at the moment, but it shows that a conservative-libertarian coalition (a conservatarian base) is a feasible strategy.

Like Cuccinelli, I've lost patience with the Repbulican arguments for more spending (heavily justified by a now-discredited neocon/compassionate conservative philosophy). No more holding my nose while I vote. I stand with Rand because I believe in truly limited government, fidelity to the Constitution, and a rational foreign policy.

I guess I've been rather disappointed that more libertarianish conservatives haven't supported Rand's campaign. I am 31, so I don't know if my age has anything to do with it. My wife and sister are also strong Rand supporters and again, we are all in our late 20s/early 30s. However, I really like this post because it is great to see a relatively high-profile conservative like Cuccinelli publicly call out Rubio and praise Rand's position. I've already shared it with my parents, who are sympathetic to Rand but are still influenced by classic Republican talking points (as transmitted by Rubio/Fiorina).

I hope Ken makes other sympathizers feel safe jumping on board the Randwagon! #StandWithRand

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Good read. Rand needs to quote this and add "Actually I put forward a plan to increase military spending offset by cuts by over 600 million which is far more than the Cruz cuts. And when Cruz had the chance to vote for my plan, he instead voted for an increase in military spending that didn't include any cuts."
    Rand knows this...you have to wonder if he's not mentioning some of this stuff to "play nice" currently.

Yes, all those amendments Rand was pushing for votes that some here went WTF on, he was getting Cruz and Rubio on the record so he has the option to use it against them at a time of his choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    Rand knows this...you have to wonder if he's not mentioning some of this stuff to "play nice" currently.
    My thought also. It's a form of spoon-feeding, and saving ammo.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Yes, all those amendments Rand was pushing for votes that some here went WTF on, he was getting Cruz and Rubio on the record so he has the option to use it against them at a time of his choosing.
    What is the benefit of saving this ammo though? I cant come up with any good reason.

What is the benefit of saving this ammo though? I cant come up with any good reason.
    TV ads in Iowa and NH in late January.

Jan2017

GOP Debate: A Split Decision on Social Media
    the top moment of the debate on Facebook was the exchange between Sens. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) and Rand Paul (R., Ky.) on entitlements and defense.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/1...-social-media/
    “I know that Rand is committed isolations, I am not,” said Mr. Rubio. “I believe the world is a stronger and a better place with the United States is the strongest military in the world.”
    “Marco, Marco, how is it conservative to add a trillion dollar expenditure to the federal government that you cannot pay for,” Mr. Paul said back. “How is it conservative to add a trillion dollars in military expenditures? You cannot be conservative if you are going to keep promoting new programs that you are not going to pay for.”

Rubio : "we can't have an economy if we are not safe

Rand : "I do not think we are any safer from bankruptcy court . . ." (pen in hand shaking at them). .
    "This is the most important thing we are gonna talk about tonight . . ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4SL3CCd8_0
    Last edited by Jan2017; 11-12-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Plenty of reasons to allow things to unfold over time, especially in this 24/7 news cycle, and the elongated election season.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I hope Ken makes other sympathizers feel safe jumping on board the Randwagon! #StandWithRand
    "Randwagon! #StandWithRand"
    Some of us fell off the 'Randwagon', but we sobered up with an understanding of how important this election is.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Ken Cuccinelli continues to be awesome. I love how he was so blunt in calling out the neocons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Cooch's endorsement would be very helpful with conservatives in Virginia.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    My thought also. It's a form of spoon-feeding, and saving ammo.
    TV ads in Iowa and NH in late January.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Plenty of reasons to allow things to unfold over time, especially in this 24/7 news cycle, and the elongated election season.
    Strategery.

Agree that for multiple reasons it makes sense to save the attack on Cruz for later. Like CPUd said if you are going to do it going strong right before Iowa keeps it fresh in people's mind when they vote and gives the other candidate less time to defend themselves.

He also might not want to go after Cruz right now because even if it were successful there are so many other candidates for his supporters to go to instead. Once they're gone Rand would be more likely to pick up the Cruz defectors.

And there's still the chance that for whatever reason Cruz eventually leaves the race and he wants to leave it open for Cruz to endorse him.

I agree. I've suspected for awhile that Rand is waiting until late in the election season to come out swinging. That way they can't pump and dump him as quickly. I think this is the tip of the iceberg and he's about to start really ramping up his debating and such. The the fundamentals are all there. He just needs the poll numbers which can be achieved by a few strong debates.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic