Thread: NATIONAL REVIEW(!!!!!): GOP Debate Showed Why We Should be Thankful for Rand's Foreign Policy

NATIONAL REVIEW(!!!!!): GOP Debate Showed Why We Should be Thankful for Rand's Foreign Policy

The momentum has shifted, folks. The fact that one of the premier GOP Establishment rags, The National Review, allowed a positive article about Rand Paul to be published shows the GOP conversation on foreign policy is no longer one-sided. There's no question he won last night.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...foreign-policy

During last night’s debate, Rand Paul did a great job of showing why we should all be thankful for his candidacy: His differing views on foreign policy.

Yep. You heard me.

First of all, I’ll admit that I personally do believe Rand Paul’s views on these issues are the right ones — which is why I am thankful that he did such a great job last night of explaining them. Now, I also know that that is an unpopular opinion in conservative circles. I can’t tell you how often I hear “I like Rand Paul, but I hate his views on foreign policy.”

But these people usually have the misconception that Rand Paul and the people who like him want a weak America — which isn’t true. Obviously, we must have a strong national defense. Hell, I’ll even take it a step farther: We need to have the strongest national defense in the world.

But here’s the thing: We already do. By a lot. Rand Paul did such a great job of defending his (and my) view by explaining that we already “spend more on our military than the next ten countries combined.” That’s huge! I mean, seriously, how much do we need to spend for the Republicans like Marco Rubio to be satisfied? More than all the countries combined? When is it enough? Is it ever?
    Last edited by PaleoPaul; 11-11-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    excellent!
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Part of the reason war has become palatable to the American people is that we don't pay for it anymore.

Historically, to engage in these death campaigns, taxes had to go up to finance the foreign endeavors. Since we no longer give a $#@! about balancing the budget or maintaining a reasonable debt, the financial consequences of multiple wars is not immediately or obviously felt by the taxpayers.

Combine the financial consequences with the human sacrifice, and it's not possible for me to subscribe to a hawkish foreign policy. Hopefully Rand can wake the country up.

I have to actually give some credit to Trump for this shift as well. Trump is leading in the polls or at least second, and a lot of Republican voters are swayed by what he said. In the debate last night he spoke out against neocon foreign policy, how we shouldn't provoke a war with Russia, how we shouldn't topple Assad, etc. I think he's really helping shift the debate among Republicans as well. Now, Trump is absolutely horrible on some other issues, and I would never consider supporting him. But, I do think that it's good to have a voice like Trump's backing Rand up on stage on some of these issues.

All of these headlines and praise from the most unlikely places...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I have to actually give some credit to Trump for this shift as well. Trump is leading in the polls or at least second, and a lot of Republican voters are swayed by what he said. In the debate last night he spoke out against neocon foreign policy, how we shouldn't provoke a war with Russia, how we shouldn't topple Assad, etc. I think he's really helping shift the debate among Republicans as well. Now, Trump is absolutely horrible on some other issues, and I would never consider supporting him. But, I do think that it's good to have a voice like Trump's backing Rand up on stage on some of these issues.
    Yeah, it is a help if he can bring his supporters to accept Rand's position against going after Assad and getting involved in Syria/Iraq.

I agree that he was doing alright at that part... until he went to the conclusion of "so we should take their oil".

Not to mention the way he'd deal with other countries that could lead to trade/cold/world war.

Don't you find it a little disheartening that the United States government funds the arming of "allied" Muslim groups across the Middle East. But they can't scrape up the funds to provide our boys with proper equipment to train with.

This is my response to my marine buddy who is one of the people who likes Rand ideas minus his foreign policy. Do you guys think this would be a good talking point for Rand?
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Don't you find it a little disheartening that the United States government funds the arming of "allied" Muslim groups across the Middle East. But they can't scrape up the funds to provide our boys with proper equipment to train with.

This is my response to my marine buddy who is one of the people who likes Rand ideas minus his foreign policy. Do you guys think this would be a good talking point for Rand?
    Yes, absolutely in my opinion. Along with, why are we sending money to all these countries that hate us while our own veterans can't get the care or support they need. I would take all that money and use it for defense and veteran care. Probably have a surplus too...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

National Review has some libertarian writers. They always have. I like Kat Timpf.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    The momentum has shifted, folks. The fact that one of the premier GOP Establishment rags, The National Review, allowed a positive article about Rand Paul to be published shows the GOP conversation on foreign policy is no longer one-sided. There's no question he won last night.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...foreign-policy
    If you read the CNN summary of the debate, Rand apparently didn't say a word.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    National Review has some libertarian writers. They always have. I like Kat Timpf.
    Even so, you know they wouldn't have allowed a positive article about Ron to make it out of the editing room 3 years ago.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Yes, absolutely in my opinion. Along with, why are we sending money to all these countries that hate us while our own veterans can't get the care or support they need. I would take all that money and use it for defense and veteran care. Probably have a surplus too...
    I agree. I believe in many ways he can rightfully frame Warhawks as abusers of the troops. These guys strategy haven't won a war in how long and they act like they are experts. In reality it's a bunch of shallow bull and can easily be exposed.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.