Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unrestricted Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    That's what they said about the Irish. In fact, now that I think about it, all of the early waves of European immigrants were coming to this country to escape nations with no tradition of government but tyranny.

See how they voted that claim has some facts to it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Which you have no chance of getting without a sovereign nation.
    ^^this (would give you more rep if i could )

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Did "they"? Show me an example please.
    Sure.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/25f.asp
    With the vast numbers of German and Irish coming to America, hostility to them erupted. Part of the reason for the opposition was religious. All of the Irish and many of the Germans were Roman Catholic. Part of the opposition was political. Most immigrants living in cities became Democrats because the party focused on the needs of commoners. Part of the opposition occurred because Americans in low-paying jobs were threatened and sometimes replaced by groups willing to work for almost nothing in order to survive. Signs that read NINA — "NO IRISH NEED APPLY" — sprang up throughout the country.

Funny how history repeats itself. In the 1920s nativists were against the Irish because they felt they were taking American jobs, they were the wrong religion*, they were too willing to go on welfare, and they were going to be a permanent democratic voting block. Italian immigrants faced similar opposition, plus they were seen as criminal.

*Yes once upon a time people were as fearful of Catholics as they are now of Muslims. And that fear wasn't totally unfounded as there had been religious wars between Catholics and Protestants that lasted into the 1700s.

If you think the Irish had no tradition of liberty, you don't know much about them, that much is obvious. (Italians too, in case you wanted to lump them in there).
    I didn't say Irish had no tradition of liberty. I said other people said that. And they did. Don't forget that Irish Catholic John F. Kennedy was considered a threat by many Protestants because some thought he would take his marching orders from the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    See how they voted that claim has some facts to it.
    LOL. Thank you for further proving my point. And thank you for prompting me to do a bit of research on it. Yes Iris largely leaned democrat at first. But, driven largely by disagreements on social issues (abortion) and an increase in personal prosperity, Irish have started leaning more republican. Democrats still have an edge, but nothing like it is with the black community. Irish favored Obama's re-election 51 to 48%. An edge, yes. But not an insurmountable one.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/is-t...62013-Nov2012/

The relationship is not broken

I profoundly disagree with their assessments. But they do have a point when they say that Irish America is not a monolithic political entity. Traditionally, Irish-Americans had aligned themselves with the Democratic Party. Yet over time, a substantial number have drifted into the Republican camp. Some have drifted because they oppose the Democratic Party’s leftward lurch on social issues like abortion; others have drifted because they have become successful financially and now embrace Republican tax policy.
    The first-ever poll of Irish-Americans on this year’s presidential election, carried out by IrishCentral and Amarach Research, bears this out. In fact, the poll shows that Irish-Americans only favour Barack Obama’s re-election by 51 per cent -48 per cent. And the comments posted by IrishCentral readers about the poll are instructive. Those who support Mitt Romney cite their opposition to abortion and to Obama’s economic philosophy. Those who support President Obama cite the traditional Irish-American affiliation with the Democratic Party and Governor Romney’s bias toward better-off Americans.
    These Irish-American voters – representative as they are of the crucial Catholic vote – may well decide the outcome of this year’s presidential election. More conservative on social issues and still more populist on economic issues, it is their votes that the candidates are now fighting over in Ohio in the campaign’s final hours.
    It is my hope that those Irish-Americans whose preference isn’t set in stone or who remain undecided will keep in mind the experience of their forebears and re-elect President Barack Obama.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Ask the Cherokee or Penobscot or Apache people what unfettered immigration of a foreign culture will do to you.

Sure.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/25f.asp
    With the vast numbers of German and Irish coming to America, hostility to them erupted. Part of the reason for the opposition was religious. All of the Irish and many of the Germans were Roman Catholic. Part of the opposition was political. Most immigrants living in cities became Democrats because the party focused on the needs of commoners. Part of the opposition occurred because Americans in low-paying jobs were threatened and sometimes replaced by groups willing to work for almost nothing in order to survive. Signs that read NINA — "NO IRISH NEED APPLY" — sprang up throughout the country.

Funny how history repeats itself. In the 1920s nativists were against the Irish because they felt they were taking American jobs, they were the wrong religion*, they were too willing to go on welfare, and they were going to be a permanent democratic voting block. Italian immigrants faced similar opposition, plus they were seen as criminal.

*Yes once upon a time people were as fearful of Catholics as they are now of Muslims. And that fear wasn't totally unfounded as there had been religious wars between Catholics and Protestants that lasted into the 1700s.

I didn't say Irish had no tradition of liberty. I said other people said that. And they did. Don't forget that Irish Catholic John F. Kennedy was considered a threat by many Protestants because some thought he would take his marching orders from the Pope.

LOL. Thank you for further proving my point. And thank you for prompting me to do a bit of research on it. Yes Iris largely leaned democrat at first. But, driven largely by disagreements on social issues (abortion) and an increase in personal prosperity, Irish have started leaning more republican. Democrats still have an edge, but nothing like it is with the black community. Irish favored Obama's re-election 51 to 48%. An edge, yes. But not an insurmountable one.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/is-t...62013-Nov2012/

The relationship is not broken

I profoundly disagree with their assessments. But they do have a point when they say that Irish America is not a monolithic political entity. Traditionally, Irish-Americans had aligned themselves with the Democratic Party. Yet over time, a substantial number have drifted into the Republican camp. Some have drifted because they oppose the Democratic Party’s leftward lurch on social issues like abortion; others have drifted because they have become successful financially and now embrace Republican tax policy.
    The first-ever poll of Irish-Americans on this year’s presidential election, carried out by IrishCentral and Amarach Research, bears this out. In fact, the poll shows that Irish-Americans only favour Barack Obama’s re-election by 51 per cent -48 per cent. And the comments posted by IrishCentral readers about the poll are instructive. Those who support Mitt Romney cite their opposition to abortion and to Obama’s economic philosophy. Those who support President Obama cite the traditional Irish-American affiliation with the Democratic Party and Governor Romney’s bias toward better-off Americans.
    These Irish-American voters – representative as they are of the crucial Catholic vote – may well decide the outcome of this year’s presidential election. More conservative on social issues and still more populist on economic issues, it is their votes that the candidates are now fighting over in Ohio in the campaign’s final hours.
    It is my hope that those Irish-Americans whose preference isn’t set in stone or who remain undecided will keep in mind the experience of their forebears and re-elect President Barack Obama.

After 150 years? Yeah, about time and time to use this long time table to assimilation as a great reason to rather reduce immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ask the Cherokee or Penobscot or Apache people what unfettered immigration of a foreign culture will do to you.
    If you can find one that is.

Notice how the open border morons have not made a single case against this vid?

The wall is going up, after it got ten feet taller..

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Well, you ask for a mile and I'll give you two. This then leads to the question, is the libertarian position on immigration correct? I'd rather go phone bank for Hillary at this point then listen to Lew, so please update with his thesis.
    Some libertarians agree with the leftist fascists on having unlimited immigrants. This is not right unless you want to speak Arabic and submit to Sharia.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul in 2008 View Post
    Some libertarians agree with the leftist fascists on having unlimited immigrants. This is not right unless you want to speak Arabic and submit to Sharia.
    O.M.G., I am like so totally scared of that. We should really give the government control over property rights.

O.M.G., I am like so totally scared of that. We should really give the government control over property rights.
    Oh do not worry, the government will have total power when Marxists have imported enough welfare voters that they win all future elections by default, you know like NY or CA?

Translation: I am 90 years old and I do not give a $#@!.

I'd rep this if I could.

The point cannot be driven home enough. It is impossible to have liberty when invaded or subverted by a culture anathema to it.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    And they have the right to out vote you open border supports of your wealth and property rights...

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A question for all the Palestinian loving Israel haters here: How did uncontrolled illegal immigration work out over there?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A question for all the Palestinian loving Israel haters here: How did uncontrolled illegal immigration work out over there?
    Well it proves the point its less close to home, therefore fewer people care by default.

It wasn't immigration, it was a British conquest.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It wasn't immigration, it was a British conquest.
    The British didn't let in the Jews, they tried to keep them out, the Ottomans had kept them out but some of the British secretly helped them to come in.
    Hitler did more to send the Jews to Palestine than the British did.
    Israel isn't a British state it is a Jewish state and most of them didn't come from Britain.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The British didn't let in the Jews, they tried to keep them out, the Ottomans had kept them out but some of the British secretly helped them to come in.
    Hitler did more to send the Jews to Palestine than the British did.
    Israel isn't a British state it is a Jewish state and most of them didn't come from Britain.
    The Brits captured Jerusalem 15 DECEMBER 1917- it had nothing to do with Hitler.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The Brits captured Jerusalem 15 DECEMBER 1917- it had nothing to do with Hitler.
    Did the Jews move in on 15 DECEMBER 1917?
    It is the Zionist Jews that are a problem for the Palestinians the British aren't even there anymore, they may have caused some problems but nothing like what the state of Israel has.

(The Palestinians aren't angels either but it is the Jews that were immigrants that took over so they are the ones under discussion.)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did the Jews move in on 15 DECEMBER 1917?
    It is the Zionist Jews that are a problem for the Palestinians the British aren't even there anymore, they may have caused some problems but nothing like what the state of Israel has.

(The Palestinians aren't angels either but it is the Jews that were immigrants that took over so they are the ones under discussion.)
    Maybe read the Balfour Declaration?
    There is no spoon.

Ask the Poles c. 1939 what unfettered German immigration will do to you...

...except that's a military invasion, not immigration, and to confuse the two is to beat the English language to within an inch of its life.

An important difference to appreciate is that, prior to 1896, the Democrat Party was the small government party: the party of Jefferson and Grover Cleveland. Whereas, the Republican Party was the big government party: the party of Hamilton, Henry Clay, and Lincoln. Why did immigrants vote for liberty at that time? It wasn't because they really understood it (no important fraction of the population ever does), it was because the party of liberty, the Jeffersonian Democrat Party, supported them in resisting the violently anti-immigrant, prohibitionist, racist, anti-Catholic GOP. Things haven't changed so much, in terms of voting behavior, except that the Jeffersonian Democrats are long dead and now both parties are radically statist. The old cultural divide remains, but without meaning from a libertarian perspective.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast