Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby boomer nostalgia is already oppressive. It’s about to get so much worse.

Baby boomer nostalgia is already oppressive. It’s about to get so much worse.

I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that members of the Worst Generation swarmed and are pitching fits in the comments.

If they think that's bad, they should read Vox Day. A sample:

"We can't Logan's Run those bastard Boomers soon enough for me."
    --Vox Day

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...so-much-worse/

But boomers clearly take the prize in the nostalgia sweepstakes. Perhaps the most self-mythologizing generation of all, those feisty postwar babies have demonstrated a singular talent for foisting their remembrances on the rest of us, like a neighbor freshly returned from a painstakingly documented African safari.

Just wait, though: The next few years should be even worse. We’re approaching the 50th anniversaries of all the events of the late 1960s. For the remainder of the decade, we can expect a brand-new wave of melodramatic retrospectives, each designed to remind us of a magical time when boomer heads were packed full of idealistic notions and covered in lustrous, free-flowing hair. But just as what goes up must come down, what frolics in the mud of Woodstock must eventually sulk in the fluorescent chill of the cardiology office. Somehow, as boomers age, their commitment to dragging that dusty ’60s archival reel out of the basement yet again seems to grow exponentially.
    [...]
    Through sheer repetition and force of will, boomers have so thoroughly indoctrinated us into their worldview that we all now reflexively frame most current affairs through the lens of another generation’s formative experiences. Every war is compared to the Vietnam War (forget that there’s no draft anymore); every plea for peace dredges up 50-year-old songs and slogans; every music festival is filtered through hazy memories of Woodstock’s incomparable magic (that is, when Woodstock itself isn’t being outright reenacted); and every civil rights protest is held up to those legendary marches on Washington and Selma of half a century ago.
    [...]
    Of course, pretty much everything that ever happened to boomers when they were younger marked the end of an era. Culturally, boomers shut down the club, then set it on fire, then blew it up, then boarded the last train leaving the station, and nothing that’s happened since can possibly measure up.
    [...]
    Likewise, instead of hearing, in maximally melodramatic terms, how the crises of the ’60s changed American culture forever, it could be instructive for some first-person witness to marvel at how swiftly the American public returned to its vise-like embrace of the status quo after the smoke cleared.
    They're talking about their generation's accomplishments also. Yeah, great job, guys. Thanks.

1. They ruined American society. Even the acts for which they can't be held responsible, such as the 1965 Immigration Act, they resolutely supported.
    2. They are, to the extent that one can categorize an entire generation, short-sighted and selfish. It is astonishing to compare the lack of interest my parents' generation has in its grandchildren to the dedication that my grandparents' generation showed to us.
    3. They are obnoxious. As PJ O'Rourke once pointed out, the Baby Boomers still clinging to their teenage music and styles would have been like his parents wearing zoot suits in their old age.
    4. They bankrupted the country and their families. No generation was given larger inheritances by its parents' generation. And it is quite likely that most Boomers will leave nothing behind.
    5. They were given wealth, peace, and power, and instead of being grateful for it, they scorned the traditions of their forefathers and squandered what they were given.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5180342

Homeland 2005-Present
    Millennial 1982-2004
    Generation X 1961-1981
    Boom 1943-1960
    Silent 1925-1942
    G.I. 1901-1924
    Lost 1883-1900
    Missionary 1860–1882
    Progressive 1843-1859
    Gilded 1822-1842
    Transcendental 1792-1821
    Compromise 1767-1791
    Republican 1742-1766
    Liberty 1724-1741
    Awakening 1701-1723
    Last edited by Lucille; 11-06-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Since the full generation name is "Post War Baby Boom", how can it start in 1943?

1946 - 1964 is the usual standard Boomer generation year range.

The USA was already well screwed up long before we ever arrived.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 11-06-2015 at 06:03 PM.

1. They are obnoxious. As PJ O'Rourke once pointed out, the Baby Boomers still clinging to their teenage music and styles would have been like his parents wearing zoot suits in their old age.
    ? My grandparents never stopped listening to Big Band, and my parents still stick with 50's rock with a mix of classic country. It would be weird if they abandoned that and these days were bopping their heads to "All About The Bass."

I am considered a boomer but neither me nor my friends are wearing huge hair or leg warmers these days

What I find quirky is that the GenX and Millennials listen to classic rock That would like me and my friends listening to the Big Bopper and Bill Haley as we drove around mindlessly in pursuit of the ever-elusive something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    What I find quirky is that the GenX and Millennials listen to classic rock That would like me and my friends listening to the Big Bopper and Bill Haley as we drove around mindlessly in pursuit of the ever-elusive something to do.
    Gen X largely grew up on classic rock and later the eclectic mix of stuff that came out of the 80s - after which the boomers had control of all the music companies and turned music into the generic hypercommercialized substanceless crap that remains the standard to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Gen X largely grew up on classic rock and later the eclectic mix of stuff that came out of the 80s - after which the boomers had control of all the music companies and turned music into the generic hypercommercialized substanceless crap that remains the standard to this day.
    lol.. there's this thing called Soundcloud, people make their own music and upload it, they play at music festivals and gigs hosted by companies like Eventbrite and get popular that way. There is still plenty of commercialized music, but if that's all you think is coming out today you are totally wrong.

The reason millenials listen to classic rock is because it is good stuff, it's not boring crap made by people who don't do drugs like you had in the 40s and 50s.. although there is a lot of good jazz and such made back then, a lot of those guys were on drugs.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-06-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

? My grandparents never stopped listening to Big Band, and my parents still stick with 50's rock with a mix of classic country. It would be weird if they abandoned that and these days were bopping their heads to "All About The Bass."

I am considered a boomer but neither me nor my friends are wearing huge hair or leg warmers these days

People tend to most closely relate to music which was popular when they were in their 20's. Especially males- mostly about age 23 to be exact. All generations do it. Reminds them of the freer time of their youth.

Was the world "peaceful then"? We had the end of the Second World War. We had the Korean War and Cold War start soon afterwards. Fear of atomic bombs. Vietnam war. We don't really have any "peace time".

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    lol.. there's this thing called Soundcloud, people make their own music and upload it, they play at music festivals and gigs hosted by companies like Eventbrite and get popular that way. There is still plenty of commercialized music, but if that's all you think is coming out today you are totally wrong.

The reason millenials listen to classic rock is because it is good stuff, it's not boring crap made by people who don't do drugs like you had in the 40s and 50s.. although there is a lot of good jazz and such made back then, a lot of those guys were on drugs
    In the jazz age, players didn't use drugs just recreationally. They used speed, crack, etc, so they could stay up and play fast till well past midnight. See Ken Burns' documentary series about jazz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Some music transcends. Stuff like Free Bird, Queen, and the like do that, just like the classics of Vivaldi, Wagner, etc. That said, my generation has an obnoxious taste in music (Mill. circa '86). Granted, we are also the generation of death/black/etc. metal, so we're not all bad
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    heh...i'm 64, and i like this...blow me.

I'll SWAG that in 200 years folks will still be listening to Mozart, Bach and Beethoven, etc..

Is this like the patriarchy?
    "The Patriarch"

LOL

Did anyone take the quiz?

It must be Boomer bashing week at the Post. There's another just below that one, which has over 2000 comments! LOL

Baby boomers are what’s wrong with America’s economy
    They chewed up resources, ran up the debt and escaped responsibility.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...icle_nextstory

Ronin, that's Strauss and Howe, the Fourth Turning guys. I'm surprised you didn't know that! You've mentioned it several times lately.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    LOL

Did anyone take the quiz?

It must be Boomer bashing week at the Post. There's another just below that one, which has over 2000 comments! LOL

Baby boomers are what’s wrong with America’s economy
    They chewed up resources, ran up the debt and escaped responsibility.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...icle_nextstory

Ronin, that's Strauss and Howe, the Fourth Turning guys. I'm surprised you didn't know that! You've mentioned it several times lately.
    Knowing it and buying into it are not the same thing.

The reason millenials listen to classic rock is because it is good stuff, it's not boring crap made by people who don't do drugs like you had in the 40s and 50s.. although there is a lot of good jazz and such made back then, a lot of those guys were on drugs.
    I like classic rock , blues and jazz .

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    In the jazz age, players didn't use drugs just recreationally. They used speed, crack, etc, so they could stay up and play fast till well past midnight. See Ken Burns' documentary series about jazz.
    lol, this is coming from somebody who has probably never done a drug...

They also smoked weed, I'm not talking so much about speed and stuff, although I can see how that would be effective for staying up to party.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

lol, this is coming from somebody who has probably never done a drug...

They also smoked weed, I'm not talking so much about speed and stuff, although I can see how that would be effective for staying up to party.
    They did all that and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ménage à trois?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Ménage à trois?
    oui
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I'm toward the end of the boom and I never did any of those things. Call me a Goody Two-Shoes. I don't care.

If you notice, the Baby Boom generation is the longest of any other generations. I don't know that I shirked any responsibility. Ever. I was a little kid with a daddy in Vietnam. Nobody showed up at our door with sacks of groceries or boxes of toys. Our whole community was full of families that were temporarily single-parent homes because of the war. There were times when almost every daddy in our school was going to Vietnam, already there, or just got back. In fact, most of us were children of Marines, so we were expected to give our toys away because there were children who had far less than we did.

I do not cling to anything from my childhood or teenage years because they were years of fear and loss. I get that I'm not the norm, but there you go. I do not like to be lumped in with people who made bad choices and wrecked normalcy for the rest of us.

Lovers of liberty respect the right of others to have an opinion, and it might be a good idea to remember that. People have their own experiences, and it's unkind to judge people by their ages.

Right now I am pretty angry about being caught between two generations that think it is okay to rob me of my hard earned money so their lives of luxury and entitlement can be lived for free. People older than I have live very well off my dime. People in college treat their education with contempt, and it's easy because I'm the one paying for them. I would like to live a year without the government demanding to take most of what I have because someone I never met thinks they deserves it.
    Last edited by euphemia; 11-07-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This is what talent shows like American Idol needs. Vocal talent combined with enduring long performance schedules and your performance enhancing drug of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    This is what talent shows like American Idol needs. Vocal talent combined with enduring long performance schedules and your performance enhancing drug of choice.
    Hell yeah!

LOL

Now, there is no need for the boomers to start complaining that Not All Boomers Are Like That. In the context of speaking about AN ENTIRE FREAKING GENERATION it is well understood by everyone that NOT EVERY INDIVIDUAL PERFECTLY FITS THE OBSERVED GENERATIONAL MODEL.
    Especially Boomer Paulians!

Now stop being so defensive and acting like typical Boomers already.
    --Albert J. Nock

Criticizing Baby Boomers makes the successive entitlement generations look a lot less obnoxious, doesn't it?
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Criticizing Baby Boomers makes the successive entitlement generations look a lot less obnoxious, doesn't it?
    It also deflects responsibility from the real culprits.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One would think liberty lovers would eschew these divisive political labels. Since the day I was born, the United States government has been reaching into my family to take away something that does not belong to it. Up. to. here.
    #NashvilleStrong

I'm a Boomer.....

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Yes

I don't know how my mom did it. My dad was posted overseas for the bulk of their marriage. That might explain why I was born a little later in life for them. My mom's sister lost a fiance in Korea. Many of my mom's classmates were in WWII and Korea. My dad was in both of those and Vietnam.

It makes it hard to be entitled while fighting and sacrificing for everyone else's freedom.
    #NashvilleStrong

This is another wedge aimed at the American people. Divide and conquer.

LOL Brace your precious selves!

--Albert J. Nock

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast