Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Director Tarantino Warned by Police Union "We Have a surprise for you"

Movie Director Tarantino Warned by Police Union "We Have a surprise for you"

So Tarintino called police murderers of unarmed men and women. The Police Union are starting boycotts against his upcoming film and said they have a "surprise for him"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...rantino-837394

In a veiled threat, the largest police union in the country says it has a "surprise" in store for Quentin Tarantino.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, would not go into any detail about what is being cooked up for the Hollywood director, but he did tell THR: "We'll be opportunistic."

"Tarantino has made a good living out of violence and surprise," says Pasco. "Our offices make a living trying to stop violence, but surprise is not out of the question."

The FOP, based in Washington, D.C., consists of more than 330,000 full-time, sworn officers. According to Pasco, the surprise in question is already "in the works," and will be in addition to the standing boycott of Tarantino's films, including his upcoming movie The Hateful Eight.

"Something is in the works, but the element of surprise is the most important element," says Pasco. "Something could happen anytime between now and [the premiere]. And a lot of it is going to be driven by Tarantino, who is nothing if not predictable.

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," says Pasco.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat. "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."

The director of the upcoming Hateful Eight has drawn the ire of unions from the largest police departments in the country, border patrol and other law enforcement organizations.

Last month while marching in New York for a rally against police brutality, Tarantino called police "murderers." He has since gone public to clarify his remarks, saying that he is not anti-police, but against unarmed men and women being killed by them.

At this point, most box-office analysts don't think Hateful Eight will be hurt at the box office by the dust-up.

"Tarantino is no stranger to controversy. At the end of the day, this publicity only has people talking about the film more. I don't think it will negatively impact the box office," says Phil Contrino of BoxOffice.com. Adds Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations, "I think audiences can separate the auteur from the activist since most people who buy a ticket to a Quentin Tarantino film show up to hear what his characters say, not the filmmaker. "I mean Star Wars is about to take over the known media universe. This is just white noise."

Rentrak's Paul Dergarabedian has a different opinion. "Quite simply, there’s no way to know whether it will affect box office. Even after it opens, you can’t quantify whether or not a boycott ultimately had an impact. But it has to cause a headache. It’s not the kind of thing you want surrounding your movie, especially in the crowded Christmas frame when it will be going up against movies like Joy. And this situation is gaining traction. The idea that there’s no such thing as bad press isn’t necessarily true here."

TWC didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the FOP.

Seriously who says "we have a surprise for you?" After a guy calls out a bunch of thugs with a badge, the thugs say, we have a surprise for you. What is this a bad mafia movie or something?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Police aren't murderers... they shoot people for basically no reason sometimes, but its part of the job y'know?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Tarintino does not apologize for calling cop who killed Eric Garner murderer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...omments-837219

Quentin Tarantino appeared on MSNBC on Wednesday to defend his recent comments about police brutality.

Tarantino told host Chris Haynes that he wasn't making a blanket statement about police but was referring to specific incidents, like those involving the deaths of Sam DuBose and Eric Garner.

"In those cases in particular that we're talking about, I actually do believe that they were murdered," said Tarantino. "And they were deemed murder."

Tarantino admitted that he wasn't expecting to experience backlash, with cop unions threatening to boycott his films.

"I was surprised," said the director. "I was under the impression that I was an American, and that I had First Amendment rights, and there was no problem with me going to a police brutality protest and speaking my mind."

"Just because I was at an anti-police brutality protest doesn't mean I'm anti-police," he said. He said he wants to see police "stop shooting unarmed people."

Tarantino explained that the company releasing his forthcoming film The Hateful Eight — which is The Weinstein Co., although he didn't mention the name — has not pressured him into apologizing in order to help the film's box-office potential.

"They stand behind me," Tarantino said, pointing out that the same company also released 2013's Fruitvale Station, about a 2009 incident in which a man was killed by a police officer.

The controversy stems from Tarantino's involvement in a Oct. 24 rally in New York City against police brutality. "When I see murders, I do not stand by," Tarantino said at the event. "I have to call a murder a murder, and I have to call the murderers the murderers."

Tarantino told The Los Angeles Times on Monday that threats of police boycotts against his films will not coerce him into standing down from his stance. "Instead of dealing with the incidents of police brutality that those people were bringing up, instead of examining the problem of police brutality in this country, better they single me out," said the director. He continued by saying, "All cops are not murderers. I never said that. I never even implied that."

On Monday, The Weinstein Co. — which is releasing the Kurt Russell-starring The Hateful Eight on Dec. 25 — stood by the filmmaker. “The Weinstein Co. has a long-standing relationship and friendship with Quentin and has a tremendous amount of respect for him as a filmmaker," a Weinstein Co. representative told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement.

Tarantino's MSNBC interview is below.

I've observed a number of Boobus specimens. I cannot believe how what Tarantino said could possibly be construed as calling all police murderers. Pretty much the entire media and its audience has a case of teh stoopid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Police aren't murderers... they shoot people for basically no reason sometimes, but its part of the job y'know?
    It's indeed very stressful, and for this they certainly deserve paid vacation for a few weeks after each shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've observed a number of Boobus specimens. I cannot believe how what Tarantino said could possibly be construed as calling all police murderers. Pretty much the entire media and its audience has a case of teh stoopid.

If you criticize the police in anyway shape or form, prepare for a gigantic backlash. That's the new M.O.

Even last year those NFL players wore a "justice" t shirt or something and the Police Unions went into $#@!-storm mode. Justice isn't even criticizing police, it's asking for Justice! And still they went ape-$#@!. This is the new norm. Say something that's NOT PRO POLICE and be prepared to get attacked.

From Last year. The guy is pretty well spoken.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/clevela...ry?id=27627071

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Andrew Hawkins defended his decision to wear a shirt protesting recent Ohio police shootings, despite a police union’s calls for him to apologize.

Hawkins wore the shirt over his uniform calling for justice in the fatal shootings of Tamir Rice and John Crawford III during pre-game introductions Sunday before Cleveland’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The head of the Cleveland Police Union called the protest “pretty pathetic” in a statement to ABC affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland and demanded an apology, but Hawkins declined.

I was taught that justice is a right that every American should have,” Hawkins, 28, told reporters Monday. “Also, justice should be the goal of every American. I think that’s what makes this country. To me, justice means the innocent should be found innocent. It means that those who do wrong should get their due punishment. Ultimately, it means fair treatment.

So a call for justice shouldn’t offend or disrespect anybody. A call for justice shouldn’t warrant an apology.”

The Cleveland Browns released a statement acknowledging the contributions of police, but also defending Hawkins’ demonstration.

Rice, 12, was carrying a toy gun in a park when he was fatally shot by Cleveland police on Nov. 24, with a grand jury slated to hear the case. Crawford, 22, was shot and killed in an August shooting inside a Beavercreek, Ohio, Walmart store. A grand jury declined to indict the officer who fatally shot Crawford.

Hawkins’ demonstration comes two weeks after a group of St. Louis Rams players held up their hands during pre-game introductions in a “hands up, don’t shoot” display to protest the decision not to indict a white Ferguson, Missouri, police officer in the August shooting death of unarmed black teen Michael Brown.

NFL players Reggie Bush and Davin Joseph also wrote “I can’t breathe” on their clothing, referencing a grand jury’s decision not to bring an indictment in the Staten Island, New York, death of Eric Garner.

Absolutely amazing the Police Union thinks a call for justice is "pretty pathetic" and the person needs to apologize for asking for it.

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," says Pasco.
    "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sheriff Clark on the Hannity show last night said he would call off the boycott if he, Tarrantino, apologized...Seems to me thats a form of extortion. This sheriff is a clowns clown...

Is that an ominous criminal implied/suggested threat, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Is that an ominous criminal implied/suggested threat, or what?
    If Tarantino had said he had a surprise for police, he would already have mysteriously severed his own spinal cord.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

"Awful nice film career you got there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it."

Worse than the mob since they're the "law."

At least there's that!

"Our officers make a living trying to stop perpetrating violence..."
    FTFY
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    "Police officers protect people..."
    Police protect the state, NOT the people.

Kind of reminds me of that one cop union goon who said he was "putting the public on notice" that their "anti-cop" attitudes would no longer be accepted -- or something like that.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat. "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."

And so on and so on and so on...
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-06-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Kind of reminds me of that one cop union goon who said he was "putting the public on notice" that their "anti-cop" attitudes would no longer be accepted -- or something like that.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...8221;-Attitude

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/06/l...zens-have-a-su

Tarantino has subsequently refused to back down and said, "It's much easier to feign outrage and start arguments with celebrities than it is to deal with the fact that the citizenry has lost trust in [police]."
    [...]
    Related, Tarantino's The Hateful Eight will be released on Christmas, meaning the fight is giving the director all sorts of free publicity. A new trailer dropped just yesterday. Watch below:

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I love Tarantino's films.

Looking forward to the new release.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Sam Jackson and Kurt Russell?

Oh hell yeah...

I'll probably check this out in the theater.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    I'll probably check this out in the theater.
    I rarely go to theater unless it's an FX-orgasm. THIS. I will probably go see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    From Last year. The guy is pretty well spoken.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/clevela...ry?id=27627071

Absolutely amazing the Police Union thinks a call for justice is "pretty pathetic" and the person needs to apologize for asking for it.
    Don't insult the goons with calls for "justice". I don't even see how you could be so disrespectful to the goon union...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

"Somebody like Tarantino is going to already be using a private security company for things like intruders on his property. By the time police are called on something like that it's going to be well documented enough that they would have to respond.The police got away with bad stuff for so long because they were wise enough to restrict all of it to powerless people. In the last decade or so they've lost their perspective. It's not that police behavior has taken a turn for the worse, it's just that they've started messing with people they previously left alone. But there's a limit to how big you can go. Somebody like Tarantino is high profile enough, and wealthy enough, and has enough powerful friends that he's probably pretty well protected from police malfeasance, and he knows it. The cops just don't have the perspective to understand that."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I usually like Tarantino movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Oh hell yeah...
    They had me at Kurt Russell. He's probably my all-time favorite actor.

Speaking of whom - and relevant to the topic of police malfeasance - I very highly recommend Dark Blue, a 2002 Russell film in which he plays a corrupt and murderous LA cop at the time of the Rodney King verdict and the subsequent riots. It's one of his lesser known films, but one of my favorites by him - and very underrated, in my opinion. I had never even heard of it until I found it while browsing DVDs at Suncoast. I bought it "sight unseen," knowing nothing about it except what was on the cover blurb and the fact that Russell was in the lead role.

I even downloaded a copy from the 'net yesterday intending to excerpt the speech Russell's character (Eldon Perry) made at his promotion ceremony near the end of the film and post it here. But I decided not to do so, because it would be a serious spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie. So I just watched it again instead ... two big thumbs up.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Tarantino is an $#@! punk who deserves to have the $#@! knocked out of him for any of a number of reasons. This, however, is not one of them. Just as even a broken clock is correct twice a day, even the lowly likes of a Tarantino speak truth on occasion.

That a huge organization representing nearly half a million armed thugs makes such threats... it shows just how far we have fallen from the grace of freedom. Were I Tarantino, I'd be spending some of that abundant cashola on some abundant private, and very heavily armed personal security. FOP saying it's not a physical threat is credible the way this was:

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Oh hell yeah...
    Quenton Tarantino? Oh hell no...

The only thing he ever did I thought worth a $#@! was:

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Dark Blue is an excellent film. I actually caught that one when it came out.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

We loved this movie, and I urge everyone to go see it at the theater. The 70mm was very cool.

Police Unions Take Credit for Quentin Tarantino’s Hateful Eight Doing 'Poorly' at Box Office
    The film, starring Samuel Jackson and Kurt Russell, wasn't expected to do as well as previous Tarantino films
    https://reason.com/blog/2016/01/15/p...for-quentin-ta
    The president of the New York Police Benevolent Association (PBA), Patrick Lynch, took credit for the Hateful Eight making "only" $43 million at the box office so far since its release on Christmas. The New York PBA was the first of several police unions around the country to call for a boycott of the Quentin Tarantino movie after the director appeared in an October police reform rally.

I'm a human being with a conscience," Tarantino said at that rally. "And if you believe there's murder going on then you need to rise up and stand up against it. I'm here to say I'm on the side of the murdered."

Tarantino did not call any specific police officer a murderer but Lynch called him a "cop-hater" at the time, urging a boycott. "With nearly 1 million law enforcement officers in this country who have families and friends who support them, the impact that police have economically on a product or project is immense," Lynch said while taking credit for Hateful Eight being Tarantino's lowest grossing film so far. "The law enforcement boycott of cop-hater Quentin Tarantino's movie is one demonstration of that economic power."
    Oh bruddah.

But, as Scott Mendelson explained in Forbes earlier this month, Hateful Eight was not expected to be a blockbuster:
    [...]
    Mendelson noted Inglorious Basterds had Brad Pitt and Django Unchained had Leonardo DiCaprio. Hateful Eight had Quentin Tarantino:

Tarantino is absolutely a marquee name, but this time it was all up to him to sell the picture. Sam Jackson and Kurt Russell are media-friendly movie stars, but they aren't openers (or haven't been in a while). So the fact that this one is doing as well as it's doing is a credit to Mr. Tarantino (as well as the various police unions that turned the film's release into a national news story).
    The Weinstein Company, and Tarantino, however, were hoping for Oscar nominations. It received only three, for best supporting actress (Jennifer Jason Leigh), score (Ennio Morricone), and cinematography.

Police officers of course have every right to boycott anything they please off-duty, as do all Americans. It's the role of police unions in securing contracts that protect bad actors and protecting such cops that leads them to being offended by stronger calls for reforms, which would actually improve police-community relations and make policing an even safer job than its already become. 2015 was one of the safest years on record, with fatal police shootings down 14 percent from 2014.
    --Albert J. Nock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast