Thread: 40% Gamers Said in Poll military should be used "as often as needed to promote U.S. policies"

Thumbs down 40% Gamers Said in Poll military should be used "as often as needed to promote U.S. policies"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/us-.../1100-6432027/

Quite depressing. Do they realize by promoting you actually mean placing and creating chaos endless cycle of chaos right?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/us-.../1100-6432027/

Quite depressing. Do they realize by promoting you actually mean placing and creating chaos endless cycle of chaos right?
    As with TV, video games are full of propaganda. There's a lot of first-person shooter games where you're the US military and of course you're always the good guy so. At first I was against the people stating how video games desensitizes people and can cause violence, but now I'm at least am starting to see the desensitization of violence as a result. Then again it doesn't help that parents buy their 8 year olds 18+ older games just to shut them up so they dont have to do some real parenting.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ds21089 View Post
    As with TV, video games are full of propaganda. There's a lot of first-person shooter games where you're the US military and of course you're always the good guy so. At first I was against the people stating how video games desensitizes people and can cause violence, but now I'm at least am starting to see the desensitization of violence as a result. Then again it doesn't help that parents buy their 8 year olds 18+ older games just to shut them up so they dont have to do some real parenting.
    I don't think people necessarily become violent from video games. They may get ideas from them if they are already violent. They surely are desensitized. Although, actual real life violence has a vastly different impact on most people. You can shoot hundreds of people in a video game and go to bed afterwards, waking up the next day, have breakfast, don't think about it for a second. I don't think that's possible if it's real people.

But yeah, the US military generally is the good guy in video games.
    "I am a bird"

40 percent said the military should be used “as often as is needed to promote U.S. policies,” while another 40% said diplomatic solutions should be the aim of foreign policy.
    So, 60% don't agree that "military should be used as often as needed to promote U.S. policies?" That's a majority that is rejecting interventionist foreign policy, and militarism, no? This isn't quite as doom-and-gloom as you're making it out to be.

From the same study: "61 percent said they support cutting existing programs to help alleviate budget concerns." So not only are the majority of gamers seemingly against interventionist policy, they're also for government reduction and reducing debt/deficit.

Forty-eight percent of gamers identified themselves as conservatives and 38 percent as liberals; among political parties, 38 percent said they align with Democrats, 38 percent with Republicans/Tea Party, and 24 percent label themselves as independents.
    As someone who is intimately familiar with the gamer culture and industry, the vast majority of gamers and developers I've known have had libertarian leanings, if not outright identifying as libertarians.

The study, conducted by Ipsos, surveyed 4,147 video gamer players through an online questionnaire. Respondents were 18 or older and reported playing video games at least three to four hours per week.
    Last edited by Cabal; 11-05-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

I wonder how they would vote for: Should RJB be allowed to punch or shoot people as often as needed to promote his personal policies?

When my wife was in nursing school, they had a presentation from a veteran on healthcare in the military. Anyway, one of the things this guy talked about was how much less accurate and trigger shy soldiers used to be. I forget the stats he gave, but the gyst of it was that in WWI/WWII, most of the soldiers were very sensitive to warfare and the act of violence. Even when they had clear shots at the enemy, people would missfire or not fire at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    When my wife was in nursing school, they had a presentation from a veteran on healthcare in the military. Anyway, one of the things this guy talked about was how much less accurate and trigger shy soldiers used to be. I forget the stats he gave, but the gyst of it was that in WWI/WWII, most of the soldiers were very sensitive to warfare and the act of violence. Even when they had clear shots at the enemy, people would missfire or not fire at all.
    I forgot where I read that, but it was something like 60 - 80% were purposely missed shots in the civil war because the soldiers really didn't want to kill those on the other side. The MIC has worked very hard over the last decade to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I forgot where I read that, but it was something like 60 - 80% were purposely missed shots in the civil war because the soldiers really didn't want to kill those on the other side. The MIC has worked very hard over the last decade to change that.
    They can't stand to have humans. Humans can say no. Emotions can make you second guess what you are doing. Anything to program the military into mindless desensitized robots who will kill at the blink of an eye and push the button, regardless of the consequences.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It reminds me of this 1984 movie:

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    So, 60% don't agree that "military should be used as often as needed to promote U.S. policies?" That's a majority that is rejecting interventionist foreign policy, and militarism, no? This isn't quite as doom-and-gloom as you're making it out to be.

From the same study: "61 percent said they support cutting existing programs to help alleviate budget concerns." So not only are the majority of gamers seemingly against interventionist policy, they're also for government reduction and reducing debt/deficit.

As someone who is intimately familiar with the gamer culture and industry, the vast majority of gamers and developers I've known have had libertarian leanings, if not outright identifying as libertarians.
    Yep- I was going to say the same thing. The majority of gamers I know are very freedom oriented and liberty advocates.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yep- I was going to say the same thing. The majority of gamers I know are very freedom oriented and liberty advocates.
    and they live in their parent's basement...

I'm kidding. I just remember those idiotic stereotypes that were out there about us in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    It reminds me of this 1984 movie:

I just watched that for the first time last night because it was referenced in a book I'm reading titled Ready Player One
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Gamers overwhelming rejecting the ideology of their parents? Yup.

Games are awesome for that. Look at frontline or similar. Very difficult morality investigated all the time.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Gamers are one of the few subcultures that actually give me hope for my generation. Gamers are the first group of entertainment consumers that stood up to the SJWs when they invaded, and told them to $#@! off. Movies, TV and all pop music other than rap rolled over and accepted that feminists and egalitarians were the ones who control the narrative. Gamers weren't having that, and one of the most successful mass movements in social media history was created in #Gamergate. Keep in mind that the entire gaming press was in bed (literally in some cases) with the SJWs, and still it was a success.

People can mock gamers as being socially awkward virgins, but they showed how to fight the left more than any other dissident group in recent history.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Who decides U.S. policies, and why?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ex-US ambassador warns Trump on Syria and Russia: 'This is not a video game'

Ex-US ambassador Nicholas Burns warns Trump on Syria and Russia: 'This is not a video game'

• Nicholas Burns, an advisor to GOP and Democratic presidents, takes Trump to task for taunting Russia about a possible missile attack on Syria.
    • "This is not a video game. The president of the United States needs to be calm and needs to act presidential," says Burns.
    • In a tweet on Wednesday morning, Trump wrote: "Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia."

Matthew J. Belvedere | @Matt_Belvedere

Published 2 Hours Ago Updated 2 Hours Ago

It is not the video games that results in violence, but the throwing of controllers and smashing of keyboards--YouTube is packed with videos of destroyed controllers and keyboards. These devices are highly dangerous and ought to be well-regulated by Congress.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

On a related note, video gaming art and drone warfare/reality might not be exactly same always:

The man who stole a plane said he didn't need much help: 'I've played some video games'

By Jason Hanna, CNN
    Sat August 11, 2018

(CNN)Before he crashed and died, the airline worker who authorities said stole and flew a passenger plane in the Seattle area Friday had a wide-ranging discussion with air traffic control -- at one point expressing confidence in his flying ability because "I've played some video games."

In audio recordings posted on Broadcastify, the man can be heard both resisting and seeking help as a controller and others tried to guide the otherwise unoccupied Horizon Air plane to a landing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/us/se...ing/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    On a related note, video gaming art and drone warfare/reality might not be exactly same always:

The man who stole a plane said he didn't need much help: 'I've played some video games'

By Jason Hanna, CNN
    Sat August 11, 2018

(CNN)Before he crashed and died, the airline worker who authorities said stole and flew a passenger plane in the Seattle area Friday had a wide-ranging discussion with air traffic control -- at one point expressing confidence in his flying ability because "I've played some video games."

In audio recordings posted on Broadcastify, the man can be heard both resisting and seeking help as a controller and others tried to guide the otherwise unoccupied Horizon Air plane to a landing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/us/se...ing/index.html

Did he just pull off a barrel roll in a passenger plane?

Oh, I thought it was a jet.. it looks like a dual propeller passenger plane.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I just watched that for the first time last night because it was referenced in a book I'm reading titled Ready Player One
    You're making me feel old!

speaking of movies.. He must have watched Snakes on a Plane.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

What US policies are we promoting with the Army ? I must have missed the published list . Makes sense people think that in one way .
    Do something Danke