Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Carson Thinks Joseph Built the Pyramids.... WTF?

Ben Carson Thinks Joseph Built the Pyramids.... WTF?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...yramid-theory/

In resurfaced video snippet of his 1998 commencement address at Andrews University, Ben Carson shared his theory that the biblical Joseph built the Egyptian pyramids for grain storage rather than for burial of the pharaohs — which left the panel of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” momentarily stunned silent on Thursday

When questioned by reporters on the campaign trail about the old clip, which Buzzfeed found, Carson didn’t back away from his statements, saying it’s still his belief.

“The pyramids were made in a way that they had hermetically sealed compartments,” Carson explained. “You wouldn’t need hermetically sealed compartments for a sepulcher. You would need that if you were trying to preserve grain over a long period of time.”

Here’s the clip from Carson’s address at the school, which is associated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church, along with the “Morning Joe” panel’s reaction:

The panel spent several moments not saying much of anything, laughed a bit and then turned to Eugene Robinson, who said, “I’m completely speechless. What can you say about that?”

Host Joe Scarborough added that Carson’s words open the door for further questions about what the Republican presidential candidate believes.

In this case, I kinda want to know now how old Ben Carson thinks the earth is,” Scarborough said. “If you say something like that you have — for a conservative — opened the door … because this is some really, really quirky stuff.”
    Last edited by jllundqu; 11-05-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the more he talks like trump, the more his numbers will fall. Love it.

While I do believe that the Egyptians had to have developed a storage system in order to preserve food during the 7 year famine period, it's a pretty massive stretch to argue that this is what the pyramids were built for, particularly since it's pretty clear that they were being used as royal sepulchers. It's pure speculation at best to assume that they were built for another purpose and then converted into sepulchers later, though it is stipulated that whatever means of preserving grain during this time period would have been overseen by Joseph.

The problem with this is that regardless of whether or not Carson is right or wrong, most people in this country find stuff like this ridiculous and Carson will probably suffer badly among both more orthodox-leaning Evangelicals and skeptics alike as more questions are raised about his SDA background. I've always been confident that Carson would not be the nominee, and this may well be the beginning of a laundry list of problems that will sink him.

When did the slavery of the Jews in Egypt begin .................................... supposedly?

It isn't any worse than believing in Noah's ark, IMO, of which there are even more believers.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Cuba policy questions stump Ben Carson ahead of Miami book stop

In the Herald interview, Carson appeared stumped by questions about the so-called wet-foot, dry-foot policy, which allows Cubans who reach U.S. soil to remain here, and about the Cuban Adjustment Act, which allows Cubans who arrive in the U.S. to apply for legal residency after 366 days.

He was candid about not being up to speed.

"You're going to have to explain to me exactly what you mean by that," Carson said, asked about wet-foot, dry-foot. "I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about that, and I don't really like to comment until I've had a chance to study the issue from both sides."

On the Cuban Adjustment Act, he gave a similar response: "Again, I've not been briefed fully on what that is."
    Rand Paul for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    It isn't any worse than believing in Noah's ark, IMO, of which there are even more believers.
    It's not really a question of how ridiculous a materialist views it, though that would be more of a factor in the general election, it's more of how it diverges with what little orthodoxy remains in the American Evangelical movement, since this is drawing inferences that were not being drawn in the many centuries prior to the 2nd Great Awakening. Old school Christians who don't mix their beliefs with modern Darwinian speculation will still find this stuff ridiculous for the same reason that they find Joseph Smith's viewpoint that the Garden of Eden was in Independence, Missouri to be ridiculous.
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 11-05-2015 at 04:21 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The last line in the OP is weird.

It's practically a given that Carson is a young earth creationist. Scarborough's way out of touch if he sees that as an extreme view.

So many problems with this, even for a Bible literalist.

The biggest one is this though: There is no space in the pyramids to hold any serious amount of grain, much less seven years worth. The pyramids are mostly solid stone with a few chambers inside for burial. Just look at a basic schematic and you can see this.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post

It's practically a given that Carson is a young earth creationist. Scarborough's way out of touch if he sees that as an extreme view.
    This is probably why Scarborough is working for MSNBC, being out of touch is a prerequisite to being employed there. The SDAs generally holding the the young earth view is one of the few areas where they have it right.

I disagree. I think Carson polls high precisely because people DON'T know what his views are, specifically. If he came out and said in an interview he is a YEC... I would think a media-induced firestorm would ensue and he would precipitously decline in the polls.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I assume Carson's not the first person to suggest this about the pyramids, though I've never encountered the view before.

I tried to find something via google. But all I got was page after page of hits about Carson saying this.

I assume Carson's not the first person to suggest this about the pyramids, though I've never encountered the view before.

I tried to find something via google. But all I got was page after page of hits about Carson saying this.
    It was never a mainstream view even prior to recent excavation efforts in Egypt, I'm not even sure that any Medieval scholars would have speculated that the pyramids only began being constructed in close proximity to Joseph's time there.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I disagree. I think Carson polls high precisely because people DON'T know what his views are, specifically. If he came out and said in an interview he is a YEC... I would think a media-induced firestorm would ensue and he would precipitously decline in the polls.
    That wouldn't happen. Something like 40% of America is young earth creationists. I'm sure that's higher among Republican primary voters. Seeing the media use that to trash him would only energize more of them to support him to thumb their noses at the media.

Also, I believe that Ellen White explicitly taught that the days of Genesis 1 are literal 24-hour days. So it's practically dogma in 7th Day Adventism (maybe jmdrake can correct me if I'm wrong). Given what's already been known about Carson very publicly for a long time, nobody should be surprised if he's a young earther. For someone in the media to be surprised by that would say more about them than it did Carson.

Also, hasn't he already said he didn't believe in the big bang? Old earth creationists practically always believe in the big bang. The most likely reason he wouldn't is that he's a young earther.
    Last edited by erowe1; 11-05-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Carson's a member of Skull & Bones. What more info do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Carson's a member of Skull & Bones. What more info do you need?
    There is no credible proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    There is no credible proof of that.
    Did you check Google? LOL!

At risk of repeating myself, Carson's biggest problem is that he likes to run off at the mouth.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Did you check Google? LOL!
    I still don't think you understand how the internet works. Just because something is on the internet does not make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    I still don't think you understand how the internet works. Just because something is on the internet does not make it true.
    Who claimed otherwise? I'll take that as a 'no', you didn't.

On the positive side for Carson, this means that they haven't been able to dig up any affairs or sexual harassment accusations.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    At risk of repeating myself, Carson's biggest problem is that he likes to run off at the mouth.
    He is an idiot on anything except brain surgery. Not sure why people give him a pass on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    He is an idiot on anything except brain surgery. Not sure why people give him a pass on everything.
    Not a lawyer nor a politician is a HUGE plus to me.

How a man (or woman) thinks is very important in evaluating them. His "theory" about the pyramids tells me he may be a brilliant surgeon, but is intellectually retarded when it comes to basic scientific evidence-based discoveries.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Who claimed otherwise? I'll take that as a 'no', you didn't.
    I did.

And yes, if someone running for POTUS honestly believed the world was 6000 years old, despite countless scientific discoveries to the contrary, it would disqualify them from office, IMO.

And before this thread deteriorates into religious quackery and is forced into the PEACE THRU RELIGION sub... please discuss this in the context of the presidential race, in the spirit of the OP.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    And yes, if someone running for POTUS honestly believed the world was 6000 years old, despite countless scientific discoveries to the contrary, it would disqualify them from office, IMO.

And before this thread deteriorates into religious quackery and is forced into the PEACE THRU RELIGION sub... please discuss this in the context of the presidential race, in the spirit of the OP.
    I think it's a wacky idea too, but the Constitution doesn't say you have to believe or disbelieve anything to be POTUS. According to the parchment, there aren't many significant requirements besides being more or less sentient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast