George pushed to abolish property taxes. He may not be a complete liberty candidate, and he didn't score that high on the conservative scorecards, but he played an important role in the Texas legislature in previous sessions. His replacement Gary VanDeaver is a pathetic establishment guy.

George Lavender announced his intention to seek the Republican nomination for State Representative in District 1, a seat which he held for 4 years.

Announcing his campaign Lavender said, "When I was first elected, most East Texans felt the same way they again feel today: let down. Let down, not only by Democrats, but moderate Republicans as well. During my time in office, I fought to ensure we passed conservative legislation. While we won some battles, many common sense reforms didn't even get voted on. Inaction like this continues and it frustrates so many Texas Republicans."

During Lavender's time in the legislature he was designated a "Fighter for Free Enterprise" by the Texas Association of Business. He was also rated by the NRA and Texas Right to Life. Lavender passionately opposed the Marvin Nichols Reservoir during his time in office and intends to maintain that as a high priority.

Because of Lavender's conservative record he states he was targeted by Parent PAC, a left-leaning organization that also supported Wendy Davis. According to Lavender, Parent PAC aggressively opposed his bid for re-election, and was, by far, the largest funder of his opponent.

"With your help, I will go to Austin and fight to defend our Water Rights and the Dallas special interests who are doing everything they can to remove our natural resources. I will battle illegal immigration, one of the biggest threats to our state. I will work to stop funding illegals with taxpayer handouts" Lavender concluded.

George Lavender is a Christian conservative who runs his business in Texarkana. George and his wife Jan have 3 children and 3 grandchildren. More information on Lavender's campaign can be found at http://georgelavender.com/.