Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Thread: Rand Paul filibusters the Debt Ceiling Budget

Official Thread: Rand Paul filibusters the Debt Ceiling Budget

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) on Debt Ceiling...

Full 1 hour speech:

Last edited by LatinsforPaul; 10-30-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Rand Paul for Peace

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and it was only 20 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_nc View Post
    More to come tonight, we hope.
    Rand Paul for Peace

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_nc View Post
    Cruz is on now . . .
    Live stream on CSPAN radio at :
    http://www.c-span.org/networks/?channel=radio

Cruz : " . . . Why ? . . . fixing social security yadayada would be hard work, what we are elected to do."

Alot of budget material to carry both of them till the 1am vote or other debaters -
    Cruz "from Texas . . . talking about oil and the selling of assets in bill,
    assets like barrels of oil . . ."

Next MSM headline "Cruz steals away Paul Filibuster"

Jan2017

Cruz : "If you just pass a "must-pass bill"(like this), then leadership makes us meaningless"

Rand needs 41 votes - so hope there are others that want the debate to go on at 1 am

Cruz : "Obama whispers "shutdown" and leadership says "surrender"
    -----------------------------
    Cruz : "This passed the House with all Democrats and 79 Republicans"
    " In the Senate they will get all Democrats and . . . some Republicans"

So that is the score that Rand, Cruz and other fiscal conservatives are looking at.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 10-29-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: update

From my post in the "Unofficial" thread:

“I will continue this filibuster as long as there are enough votes here to allow it to continue,” he said on the Senate floor Thursday.

Senior staffers for Paul tell Breitbart News that the Kentucky lawmaker’s objections forced Senate leadership to attempt to end debate on the budget deal, resulting in a filibuster.

“A Filibuster in the Senate is the act of forcing the leadership to attempt to end debate. They can do this by time and votes. They have to wait one day plus one hour and then they can attempt to cut off debate with 60 votes. If they succeed then 30 more hours are allowed,” senior staffers explained to Breitbart.

“So a filibuster of this bill causes them to have to get a supermajority and wait multiple extra days with full public debate in front of the American people for this trash heap of a bill,” they added.

In order to continue blocking the bill, Paul will need to muster at least 40 votes in opposition in order to prevent a 60 vote supermajority, which would advance the agreement.
    “We’re in the middle of a filibuster,” Paul said on the floor. “This filibuster will go on to about 1:00 in the morning and then we will find out who the true conservatives in this town are.”
    UPDATE:

A spokesman for Sen. Rand Paul emails:

Sen. Paul has been and continues to filibuster the unlimited debt limit increase. Tonight at 1:00 am, the Majority Leader will attempt to end Sen. Paul’s filibuster with a cloture vote. If 41 Senators stand with Sen. Paul, the filibuster will continue.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ng-budget-deal

So it looks like he doesn't have to keep talking and hold the floor to continue the filibuster.

He's already forced them to at least wait one day and one hour to be able to vote, and they need 60 to end the debate and stop his filibuster. That's why they're posting on Facebook and Twitter asking people to call their Senators and tell them to vote against ending debate.

Rand Paul for Peace

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Cruz talking - How about Rubio?

So Cruz showed up - I figured he would.
    I wonder if Rubio is there too, or is he out campaigning?
    He'll look like (even more of) an ass if he's the only one that doesn't show up.

It would be funny as hell if they were 1 vote short, because Rubio is out campaigning

So this is a tag team between paul and cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulfan05 View Post
    It would be funny as hell if they were 1 vote short, because Rubio is out campaigning
    That would be hilarious, he'd be the black sheep of the GOP, they'd call him butter fingers for $#@!ing up the play.

God Cruz is so desperate, always showing up during primetime.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Here's the current live vid for this evening.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?328980-...dget-deal&live

Really getting tired of this Dracula looking guy that keeps stealing Rand Paul's talking points.

Actually I kind of like this angry Ted Cruz. He's got good points. Lucky for Rand someone else is taking the baton and the whole country doesn't have to depend on one guy to try to change everything. That's what it comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Raven View Post
    Actually I kind of like this angry Ted Cruz. He's got good points. Lucky for Rand someone else is taking the baton and the whole country doesn't have to depend on one guy to try to change everything. That's what it comes down to.
    Except I do not trust Cruz with the baton. I think he's Bush - runs on one platform then governs on another.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Cruz has to be persuasive - as does Rand - to convince another 39 Senators by 1am.

After the procedural vote at 1:01am, each Senator can speak for one hour - so 100 hours till they would decide what to do (?)

Serious question...I honestly don't know much about Cruz but I do know he holds a lot of similar views. Why do people hate him so much? If Rand doesn't make it, wouldn't Cruz be the next best one in line?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Raven View Post
    LOL ya I am just bitter because I am assuming we'd be doing better if we weren't splitting the conservative/privacy vote.

Quote Originally Posted by moraha View Post
    Serious question...I honestly don't know much about Cruz but I do know he holds a lot of similar views. Why do people hate him so much? If Rand doesn't make it, wouldn't Cruz be the next best one in line?
    Cruz will take whatever views suit him at any given time. Also prone to religious stunts:

Cruz isn't good on privacy, is a neo-con for foreign policy, scared to death of Iran and treats Israel as if it were a sacred cow, took the Paul's and liberty movement's support to get elected and then turned around and runs against him to put him down. He is super partisan.

He is basically a Sarah Palin who isn't that dumb.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Jan2017

So adjourning until midnight . . .

I like how Cruz used the term "Washington Cartel" on the Senate floor tonight, as he did in this story/link -
    http://therightscoop.com/ted-cruz-bo...conservatives/

What Cruz said was critical of "the leadership" i.e. McConnell and now Ryan in the House.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 10-29-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Some people assume since he entered the race specifically right before Rand did, and his campaign released a memo that they are targeting Rand Paul supporters right before Rand's Poll numbers declined that he is not intellectually honest when he says he is sympathetic to our cause and more likely to be a shill for the establishment to steal away support from Rand Paul's Campaign..

Nobody is sure whether he is Canadian, American or Israeli.

But seriously, he is targeting people like you who are supposed to be liberty supporters but haven't really been paying attention. Take a look at his foreign policy advisors, and he is desperate to rip apart the liberty movement to save himself. The same liberty movement that Ron and Rand Paul endorsed for Senate.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Except I do not trust Cruz with the baton. I think he's Bush - runs on one platform then governs on another.
    This 100% !!!!

He is a snake and I will never trust him.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner...^THIS^

I do not trust Cruz.

Because negativity makes you look smart to the masses.

Call everyone a shill and point out all their flaws every chance you get, and you'll look like the smartest person here.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/29/j...bate-observati

Did anyone notice how in the debate, when Cruz was asked about the Fed, he said that he co-sponsored RON Paul's Audit The Fed bill? I wondered a bit why Rand thanked him. He was correcting him.
    Matt Welch caught it... Check out the discussion around the 13 min mark.
    Last edited by PCKY; 10-29-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
    From my post in the "Unofficial" thread:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ng-budget-deal

So it looks like he doesn't have to keep talking and hold the floor to continue the filibuster.

He's already forced them to at least wait one day and one hour to be able to vote, and they need 60 to end the debate and stop his filibuster. That's why they're posting on Facebook and Twitter asking people to call their Senators and tell them to vote against ending debate.

The closer he pushes them to 12:01 am Nov 1, the more leverage he has.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast