Thread: Feds charge 8 in California with distributing homemade guns

Feds charge 8 in California with distributing homemade guns

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Eight men were charged Thursday with making and distributing dozens of firearms, many of them assault-style weapons illegally equipped with silencers, in what federal officials are calling one of the biggest takedowns in California's Central Valley.

Undercover agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives purchased or seized more than 230 firearms and silencers. Many are known as "ghost guns" because they lack serial numbers and can be sold without background checks or transfer documents.

"Firearms trafficking such as that alleged in this indictment is one of the primary sources of crime guns found on the streets, and the manufacture of untraceable, unserialized firearms hampers criminal investigations, putting the public at greater risk," U.S. Attorney Benjamin Wagner said at a news conference. "High-capacity assault rifles, with silencers but without serial numbers, are some of the most lethal weapons that criminals can get their hands on."

The charges include dealing in firearms without a license, unlawfully manufacturing firearms, possession of silencers, short-barreled rifles and firearms lacking serial numbers, and conspiracy. Three of the eight face separate drug charges, which Wagner said shows a connection between gun and narcotics trafficking.

Among those named in the 70-count indictment David Bennett, 27, a former probationary correctional officer with the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department.

Bennett and his brother are charged with conspiring to make and deal unlicensed firearms from their Stockton home. His attorney, Michael Long, did not immediately return messages.

Steven Plesser, attorney for his 39-year-old brother, Daniel Bennett, said his client is charged with using his drill press to machine the parts that were then assembled into weapons.

"He seems to have been the man with the tool that was needed," Plesser said. "It seems like the other people were doing the sales."
    http://news.yahoo.com/feds-charge-8-...003143511.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh well for every one the catch 10 go free...

Steven Plesser, attorney for his 39-year-old brother, Daniel Bennett, said his client is charged with using his drill press to machine the parts that were then assembled into weapons.

"He seems to have been the man with the tool that was needed," Plesser said. "It seems like the other people were doing the sales."
    Is it normal for a lawyer to volunteer information or speculate on his client's guilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Is it normal for a lawyer to volunteer information or speculate on his client's guilt?
    No it's not. It would also take a hell of a lot more machining tools than a drill press to produce a firearm like those pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    No it's not. It would also take a hell of a lot more machining tools than a drill press to produce a firearm like those pictured.
    This.

Edit: You need a good lathe with a very expensive insert to make the threading cuts. If they didn't get the source for that, either they didn't care to, or someone working with the feds was making illegal mods to weapons to set people up.
    Last edited by Intoxiklown; 10-17-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Even if one was a kop I hope the jury nullifies this indictment.

It is the duty of all Americans to arm themselves better than their government.

Doing so without government's knowledge is commendable!

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    This.

Edit: You need a good lathe with a very expensive insert to make the threading cuts. If they didn't get the source for that, either they didn't care to, or someone working with the feds was making illegal mods to weapons to set people up.
    http://www.80percentarms.com/pages/faq

Doesn't address the cans.......

The lower is all that needs to be machined. You can buy all of the other parts except the silencer, without the need of government paperwork.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    http://www.80percentarms.com/pages/faq

Doesn't address the cans.......

Those are the threading cuts I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    Those are the threading cuts I'm talking about.
    http://www.amazon.com/Right-Hand-Thr.../dp/B008B1WHCE

I answered my question while typing a response. They buy a threaded upper to receive a silencer, then use a tap and dye set to thread the nipple on the "can". I was focused on the internal threading. I stand corrected.