Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand Paul: Yes, I'm Still Running, So 'Get Over It'

Rand's team looks like a weak sales team who has no idea what they are selling and not even care. They might have gleaned some info on a few websites about the digital media, but there is not anybody with a clue as I can see. It is also impossible to talk to anybody when calling the campaign HQ. All you get is voice mail.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dusman View Post
    I am not impressed either. I feel that so far, the campaign has no understanding of positioning Rand's "Brand" or how to differentiate it from the "market". That is marketing 101.

So far we've gotten these things from the campaign:
    1) A Rand Paul Selfie App
    2) Rand Paul destroying the tax code in various ways
    3) All-Day Live Stream
    4) Cut Their Card
    5) Some "hip" Campaign Memorabilia

These are gimmicks. None of them do much to illustrate WHY voters should change their mind. They just feel like desperate attempts to reinvent something Ron Paul was able to do through the grassroots. Rand Paul is his own person, with his own style and "brand". They need to start there... who is Rand Paul? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the other candidates? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the voters he's targeting? Who is Rand Paul in this current state of affairs in this country? Who is Rand Paul in regards to history?

By answering those things, the campaign would have a lot of compelling material to work with. Hell, go back to TIME magazine's article and dismantle how TIME, not Rand Paul supporters, came to the conclusion to run with the headline "The most interesting man in politics".

It particularly unnerves me that Rand made this comment in regards to the livestream: "I've been saying, I don't want to do this, I don't want to do this and now we're doing this." I wish I never had to see that, because immediately my first instinct is to say the campaign is winging it and at this point dragging Rand along.

Chip needs to reassess the direction he's allowed the campaign to take. Sit down with Rand.. get his perspective on what he perceives is his bedrock and throw that in the middle of the whiteboard. Nothing goes on the whiteboard, unless it reinforces and communicates what Rand has determined is his "Unique Value Proposition". Designate someone the official devil's advocate. Someone who hates every idea, finds ways to twist it, identifies when everyone agrees on something and goes in the opposite direction. That person represents everyone who doesn't want to vote for Rand, the media who will capitalize on any weakness, etc.

Pay attention to what that person comes back with.

In the following month, if the staff can't come together and develop a cohesive strategy and message, Rand needs to treat it like a business and make some changes and I do mean firing some people.

There I said it.
    Damn - Somebody get this guy on the $#@!ing phone quick.

Apparently they don't answer the phone though.

Somebody get this guy a plane ticket...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam220891 View Post
    Damn - Somebody get this guy on the $#@!ing phone quick.

Apparently they don't answer the phone though.

Somebody get this guy a plane ticket...
    Some people can afford their own plane tickets.

The clip just made Fallon's opening monologue with good laughs tonight. This is good exposure for Rand.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by dusman View Post
    I am not impressed either. I feel that so far, the campaign has no understanding of positioning Rand's "Brand" or how to differentiate it from the "market". That is marketing 101.

So far we've gotten these things from the campaign:
    1) A Rand Paul Selfie App
    2) Rand Paul destroying the tax code in various ways
    3) All-Day Live Stream
    4) Cut Their Card
    5) Some "hip" Campaign Memorabilia

These are gimmicks. None of them do much to illustrate WHY voters should change their mind. They just feel like desperate attempts to reinvent something Ron Paul was able to do through the grassroots. Rand Paul is his own person, with his own style and "brand". They need to start there... who is Rand Paul? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the other candidates? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the voters he's targeting? Who is Rand Paul in this current state of affairs in this country? Who is Rand Paul in regards to history?

By answering those things, the campaign would have a lot of compelling material to work with. Hell, go back to TIME magazine's article and dismantle how TIME, not Rand Paul supporters, came to the conclusion to run with the headline "The most interesting man in politics".

It particularly unnerves me that Rand made this comment in regards to the livestream: "I've been saying, I don't want to do this, I don't want to do this and now we're doing this." I wish I never had to see that, because immediately my first instinct is to say the campaign is winging it and at this point dragging Rand along.

Chip needs to reassess the direction he's allowed the campaign to take. Sit down with Rand.. get his perspective on what he perceives is his bedrock and throw that in the middle of the whiteboard. Nothing goes on the whiteboard, unless it reinforces and communicates what Rand has determined is his "Unique Value Proposition". Designate someone the official devil's advocate. Someone who hates every idea, finds ways to twist it, identifies when everyone agrees on something and goes in the opposite direction. That person represents everyone who doesn't want to vote for Rand, the media who will capitalize on any weakness, etc.

Pay attention to what that person comes back with.

In the following month, if the staff can't come together and develop a cohesive strategy and message, Rand needs to treat it like a business and make some changes and I do mean firing some people.

There I said it.
    What is your Thunderclap reach?

"It is also impossible to talk to anybody when calling the campaign HQ. All you get is voice mail."

Jeez, where have we heard this before? Oh yes, Right back to the very first campaign. At least back then their excuse was they were inundated with calls of support and requests they couldn't handle because they weren't prepared for it and were short staffed. After eight years you would think these "free marketeers" would figure out in politics, just like in business, customer service is pretty damned important.

Let's just say, to be fair, Rand was joking. A good piece of advice to make sure to let people know they're in on the joke is to laugh, not deadpan the punchline. Otherwise what you might think is you being funny appears to voters as you wishing you were a million miles away from another campaign stop in Iowa. Just a thought since no one in headquarters would be taking my phone calls anyways.

This is getting good.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    The clip just made Fallon's opening monologue with good laughs tonight. This is good exposure for Rand.
    Was it shown in a positive light? or were they making fun of him? lol

I'll have to find the segment whenever they upload it online
    Last edited by libertyplz; 10-15-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    Was it shown in a positive light? or were they making fun of him? lol

I'll have to find the segment whenever they upload it online
    I did not find it positive or negative. Just a kick out of what he said and how he said it. He also said something to the effect of nothing screams running for President than shooting a video in a Holiday Inn parking lot.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Lightbulb

A continuous feed of all the behind the scenes stuff would be a major breakthrough for Rand.

The stream unfortunately promised that then delivered a stream that reeked of message control and politics as usual.

It could really work if it was something different and didn't come off as scripted. Perhaps there should be a team that is live 12 hours a day, every day, working open access. Hell I would do that for food and board :P Replay the 12 hours once while you are off air, and you have a channel.

Present someone who isn't a politician. That Trump's brand, it used to be Rand's. Hell it was Ron's despite being in congress for 40 bloody years. And it is what is really needed.

The public wants someone who is as mad as they are about life. They want someone who is in touch. Inexplicably Trump is the only one who sounds pissed off about the status quo.

Let Rand, be Rand and point a camera at him.

He will define himself. We will see someone authentic.

We might even like him.
    Last edited by idiom; 10-15-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Putting this stunt under the MAJOR FAIL category. The importance of social media, lol.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Putting this stunt under the MAJOR FAIL category. The importance of social media, lol.
    Thanks for bumping. These type of threads should be stickied probably so that future liberty candidates can look at things like this, and see the positive and negative outcome of them and maybe think of better ways to approach things.

I guess it won't really matter when Vermin Supreme is elected though, but it is interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    A younger campaign staffer tries to play a song from Florence and the Machine
    Florence <3

Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

If Donald Trump had said those exact same words he would have surged a dozen more points.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    If Donald Trump had said those exact same words he would have surged a dozen more points.
    "Balls, said the Queen. If I had two I'd be King!"

Rush - The Necromancer - 1976 - Gaze into his prisms

If the mood had been right, if there was something constantly going on during the time it was filled, if it look and felt fun, it would have worked. It would have been groundbreaking.

But you can tell Paul 2016 wasn't fun at all, not for the candidate or the staff, and it showed

Ah if only Bernie Sanders had been a libertarian there would still be someone challenging Donald Trump. (Had to find some reason to post something in this otherwise totally irrelevant zombie thread.)
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12