Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: Yes, I'm Still Running, So 'Get Over It'

Rand Paul: Yes, I'm Still Running, So 'Get Over It'

byALEXANDRA JAFFEandVAUGHN HILLYARD

Travel delays, single-digit polling and repetitive, annoying questions add up.
    So it's no wonder Sen. Rand Paul was a little impatient on Tuesday when answering the third most-asked question about him on Google: "Is Rand Paul still running for president?"

"I wouldn't be doing this dumb ass live-stream if I wasn't, so get over it," an annoyed Paul deadpanned in response.

What was unusual about the moment is that it was streaming live to anyone watching Paul's three-day swing through Iowa on Periscope, the app that allows anybody, anywhere to broadcast their activities live. Paul's campaign trumpeted their plans to stream his campaign stop on Periscope as historic; he's the first presidential candidate to do so. But his somewhat prickly response to a mundane, if grating, question has now gone viral.

Campaign spokesman Sergio Gor said Paul was just being "playful."

"Of course Senator Rand Paul is running. Context is important, and Senator Paul was reading mean tweets when the question came up, most media outlets realize he was being playful," he said in an email.

Indeed, Paul seemed to forget the ongoing livestream at one point, answering the next Google question -- "Where is Rand Paul in the polls?" -- with, "this isn't live -- we can edit this, right?"

The Paul campaign acknowledged the moment with a tongue-in-cheek t-short for sale in his campaign store. On Thursday, visitors to his website could, for $20,purchase a crewneck reading "I watched Rand Paul's livestream and all I got was this dumbass teeshirt."

Rand Paul is seventh in the Republican primary field with four percent of support in a CBS News poll of Republican primary voters released on Sunday.
    Paul's live stream—which included jamming, or zen listening, to The White Stripesand assessing that Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton "see the same hair stylist"--began after what was already a rocky start to his Iowa trip. Flight delays caused his team to land five hours late into the state.

The live stream signal also froze over the course of the journey.

Paul finishes his tour of Iowa on Wednesday afternoon.

Add to that a smattering of recent reports suggesting his Senate seat, which he's refused to resign to run for president, may be in jeopardy because of his sluggish presidential campaign, and it could be a recipe for a bad mood on a Tuesday morning.

Most people have them. Most candidates do too. But Paul was unlucky enough to broadcast his live.
    No link because...F NBC.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty sure he said that on purpose.

Leave it to NBC to call the person who asked a 'mundane'.

Which just makes me more willing to believe that it wasn't a mundane at all, but a plant.

Can we crucify NBC for calling that person a 'mundane'?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-14-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Pretty sure he said that on purpose.
    Agree. This is just NBC establisment media spin. I didn't post it under the spin sub though because I think these remarks were good responses.

Indeed, Paul seemed to forget the ongoing livestream at one point, answering the next Google question -- "Where is Rand Paul in the polls?" -- with, "this isn't live -- we can edit this, right?"

He was clearly joking when he said that.

Do they really think after being followed around by a live stream camera all day, and promoting the hell out of it, that he forgot it was live?

"But his somewhat prickly response to a mundane, if grating, question has now gone viral."

Rand, if you feel this is beneath you, then get out. I'm sorry if you don't like day-to-day politics because you may well get "dumbass" questions like this from a dumbass person, but they vote like it or not. And if they think you're a jerk because they ask you questions you think you've answered a million times then nobody is going to vote for you, because nobody wants a jerk to be their President.

I can't believe Rand acted this way back in 2010 and still won, Republican wave or not (otherwise he would have lost the primary). A lot has happened to sour Rand towards politics and if he keeps this attitude up he will put his Senate seat in jeopardy. So again Rand, if you don't like it, get out.

Everyone around talks about "the game" or "the long game". Well this is a big part of it, a basic part. No one is going to care about non-interventionism unless Rand appears to care about the voters he's asking their votes from. You may think its phony, you may think its demeaning, but it's a fundamental part of "the game" i.e. the candidate's personal interaction with voters and all the phone calls in the word you're doing from home can't change people's perceptions of Rand when they meet him. He and other people around here have to understand this. As I said, if this not what you want to be doing Rand, go back to private practice because you're not helping the Revolution by setting yourself up for utter defeat just because you can't suffer fools gladly. Those kinds of people don't become politicians and it's time for you to decide if you still wish to be one.
    Last edited by Badger Paul; 10-14-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    "But his somewhat prickly response to a mundane, if grating, question has now gone viral."

Rand, if you feel this is beneath you, then get out. I'm sorry if you don't like day-to-day politics because you may well get "dumbass" questions like this from a dumbass person, but they vote like it or not. And if they think you're a jerk because they ask you questions you think you've answered a million times then nobody is going to vote for you, because nobody wants a jerk to be their President.
    Explain Trump then.

Trump limits his interaction with the voters so basically what you see what you get from the podium. You'll notice he's not exactly doing the church basement circuit in Iowa because he doesn't have to. People know who he is. Besides, a majority of Iowa Republicans would vote for someone else other than Trump.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it was intentional, that was a brilliant idea and well executed. And if it was an unintentional slip, he and the campaign handled it quite well.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    If it was intentional, that was a brilliant idea and well executed. And if it was an unintentional slip, he and the campaign handled it quite well.
    Wll, judging from the news headlines, Breitbart comments and comments from the Blaze it has not gone over well. Honestly, I liked Paul being a little self-deprecating regarding this livestream.. but am curious how you think what he said was brilliant or well executed.. not being critical by the way, just curious.

Wow are people really this dense? (not directed at anyone in this thread, at the authors of this article and others like it) Just read the article posted in the thread along with some other articles that are nearly identical, and holy smokes. Rand has a dry sense of humor and was clearly joking. The segment was of him reading mean tweets/questions and responding to them. Rand wasn't getting "prickly" nor was Rand "annoyed". Would his staff really make him read mean tweets and questions if they were going to "annoy" him?

Exactly, plz.

It's exasperating.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

It was not intentional. The clip on his facebook page conveniently edits this part out.

Playing this up could backfire on the mainstream media. Hope they're dumb enough to ask him about it.

Meanwhile, we need to play it with the same dry humor. Well, we are in this for the long haul. And we'll keep telling the truth, whether you can handle it or not. Deal with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Here's what the website Mashable had to say about Rand's Livestream:

"Then Paul gave a stump speech, where he banged his drum on his top issues: Spending and debt, ending NSA spying, taxes, and so on. Then he took pictures with members of the audience, got in a car that took him to another college where he gave another stump speech, took more pictures, and got in a car again.

That, sadly, is mostly what the campaign trail looks like. Stump speeches, hand shaking, and interviews in between. That's mostly what the stream consisted of when it was going. I'd hesitate to call it a livestream, really, and definitely walk it back from the way Paul's campaign initially described it. What footage we saw was live, but the stream often paused, sometimes due to technical difficulties, and more often out of choice. It seems that whenever Paul was on stage, taking pictures, or in an interview, the camera was on. As soon Paul walked off the stage, the feed died. Except for a few moments in the car, after lunch, and some downtime at an empty baseball field, we didn't see much behind the scenes at all.

Why? What's behind the black curtain? Nothing, I'm sure. Paul eating a sandwich. Paul being briefed about his next meeting or going over a new Hillary Clinton zinger. But that's the stuff our prying eyes want to see, no? The stuff between the rehearsed stump speeches.

There were very brief moments, sometimes seemingly captured by accident, where some humanity sneaked through. In the car, on the way to another speech, Paul listened to "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, which is a thing real people do. A younger campaign staffer tries to play a song from Florence and the Machine, and she and Paul fumble to play on the car stereo through her phone. That didn't seem rehearsed, but too many moments like that and others we didn't get to see apparently make Paul too transparent for comfort.

Tech just isn't as powerful as tech companies want us to believe, good or bad, and Rand Paul's decision to livestream himself isn't as revolutionary as it sounds. Most of all, it's boring.

Boring. Well that was a lot money spent for what exactly? I guess it's good thing Rand did drop a cussword to a question because if it wasn't for that there wouldn't be anything memorable from this experience at all. What's leading the news on Rand today? His "revolutionary" livestream feed? No it's a comment he made Drake last night about employers having the right to firing LGBT workers. Lovely.

Personally, I think the who affair is getting to be too much for him. The expense of the Kentucky caucus combined with days on the road campaigning, coupled with the pressure he's getting back in Kentucky,..and let's face it. Things aren't going very well for him.

Rand is a fairly regular kind of guy. He had a life before politics. I think he's tired of the game and regrets getting involved in it. But he's in a situation where he can't just flip a switch and go back to his previous life without disappointing a lot of people.

To top it all off, I think he's pretty disgusted with his campaign staff. I've never thought that they had good judgement.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand needs to stop listening to the interns. The 2 chicks tagging along with him in the car did not strike me as too bright. Who were they listening to ? Linda Ronstadt ?

Guys.. Does anyone not get this was clearly a joke.. Lol.. The "dumbass" comment was a solid joke. He is trolling the "dropout" questions. I love it. We are moving up in the polls, students for rand is rocking, prime time debate, etc. Now let's all buy a Miletich shirt on Nov 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by kbs021 View Post
    Guys.. Does anyone not get this was clearly a joke.. Lol.. The "dumbass" comment was a solid joke. He is trolling the "dropout" questions. I love it. We are moving up in the polls, students for rand is rocking, prime time debate, etc. Now let's all buy a Miletich shirt on Nov 5th.
    No, it was not a joke. It was a blatant attempt of self promotion by the social media interns from Rand's campaign. These guys need to pad their resumes with stunts like this. Hey, we ran this viral campaign for Sen Paul when he ran for Prez. The campaign got destroyed but we gained a lot of experience. Would you like to hire us ? We promise we will do better this time.

Last edited by timosman; 10-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    No, it was not a joke. It was a blatant attempt of self promotion by the social media interns from Rand's campaign. These guys need to pad their resumes with stunts like this. Hey, we ran this viral campaign for Sen Paul when he ran for Prez. The campaign got destroyed but we gained a lot of experience. Would you like to hire us ? We promise we will do better this time.
    No. It was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

Okay who are those interns? Do you not recognize the importance of digital media in 2015 especially when young voters are one of your best demographics? And sorry didn't know you were there with Rand confirming this wasn't a joke. Would the store release a shirt based on this if this wasn't a dig at the media? If you don't like this aspect of the campaign (understandable) you can always focus your time on the aspects you like.

Quote Originally Posted by garyallen59 View Post
    No. It was a joke.
    "I wouldn't be doing this dumb ass live-stream if I wasn't, so get over it,"

This was edited out of the tube at 1:40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyOjRaf0cc

Mashable article was right.

Campaign promised "Truman Show" and did not really deliver. Most of the feed was off for the day. I must say I was disappointed when the feed was off.

Now they did mention that they had to do it for data reasons but setting the expectation and delivering more than what you promised is very important for success. They promised a lot and didn't deliver.

Livestream was cool, could've been cooler. The Verge and Mashable covered the pre-live stream press and sounded genuinely excited. I expect nothing less from tech websites although The Verge's piece was much more negative.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by BGfree View Post
    Personally, I think the who affair is getting to be too much for him. The expense of the Kentucky caucus combined with days on the road campaigning, coupled with the pressure he's getting back in Kentucky,..and let's face it. Things aren't going very well for him.

Rand is a fairly regular kind of guy. He had a life before politics. I think he's tired of the game and regrets getting involved in it. But he's in a situation where he can't just flip a switch and go back to his previous life without disappointing a lot of people.

To top it all off, I think he's pretty disgusted with his campaign staff. I've never thought that they had good judgement.
    "anonymous Republican strategist"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

‘Wouldn’t Be Doing This Dumbass Livestreaming if I Weren’t’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...g-if-i-werent/

Yes, Rand Paul is still running for president.

Answering some of the top Google searches associated with his name during his all-day campaign livestream Tuesday — namely, “Is Rand Paul still running for president?” — Paul said, in short, yes.

“I don’t know — wouldn’t be doing this dumbass livestreaming if I weren’t. Yes, I still am running for president; get over it.”

Some dumbass in the comments said Rand is financed by the Koch's and can't be trusted.

This is the image Rand portrays. No one would ever think Ron was an insider, yet Rand is often confused as such.

NPR covered his live stream which I think is good. A lot of people listen to NPR. Link

Quote Originally Posted by adam220891 View Post
    Some dumbass in the comments said Rand is financed by the Koch's and can't be trusted.

This is the image Rand portrays. No one would ever think Ron was an insider, yet Rand is often confused as such.
    It is because he doesn't really want anything to do with people who chase him around demanding he talk about the Bilderbergers or that he accuse other Senators of lying on the Senate floor. Those people were never going to support him anyway, they are constantly looking for reasons not to, and posting them online.

NPR covered his live stream which I think is good. A lot of people listen to NPR. Link

Quote Originally Posted by BGfree View Post

I am not impressed either. I feel that so far, the campaign has no understanding of positioning Rand's "Brand" or how to differentiate it from the "market". That is marketing 101.

So far we've gotten these things from the campaign:
    1) A Rand Paul Selfie App
    2) Rand Paul destroying the tax code in various ways
    3) All-Day Live Stream
    4) Cut Their Card
    5) Some "hip" Campaign Memorabilia

These are gimmicks. None of them do much to illustrate WHY voters should change their mind. They just feel like desperate attempts to reinvent something Ron Paul was able to do through the grassroots. Rand Paul is his own person, with his own style and "brand". They need to start there... who is Rand Paul? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the other candidates? Who is Rand Paul in regards to the voters he's targeting? Who is Rand Paul in this current state of affairs in this country? Who is Rand Paul in regards to history?

By answering those things, the campaign would have a lot of compelling material to work with. Hell, go back to TIME magazine's article and dismantle how TIME, not Rand Paul supporters, came to the conclusion to run with the headline "The most interesting man in politics".

It particularly unnerves me that Rand made this comment in regards to the livestream: "I've been saying, I don't want to do this, I don't want to do this and now we're doing this." I wish I never had to see that, because immediately my first instinct is to say the campaign is winging it and at this point dragging Rand along.

Chip needs to reassess the direction he's allowed the campaign to take. Sit down with Rand.. get his perspective on what he perceives is his bedrock and throw that in the middle of the whiteboard. Nothing goes on the whiteboard, unless it reinforces and communicates what Rand has determined is his "Unique Value Proposition". Designate someone the official devil's advocate. Someone who hates every idea, finds ways to twist it, identifies when everyone agrees on something and goes in the opposite direction. That person represents everyone who doesn't want to vote for Rand, the media who will capitalize on any weakness, etc.

Pay attention to what that person comes back with.

In the following month, if the staff can't come together and develop a cohesive strategy and message, Rand needs to treat it like a business and make some changes and I do mean firing some people.

There I said it.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast