Thread: CT - Woman sues her 8 y/o nephew for "rough hug" that caused injury

Exclamation CT - Woman sues her 8 y/o nephew for "rough hug" that caused injury

Woman sues nephew, 12, for $127K after exuberant greeting

Matthew Diebel, USATODAY 1:36 p.m. EDT October 13, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rist/73867150/

Jennifer Connell has problems.

“I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she told a told a Connecticut jury.

And why does Connell have this affliction?

Because, the New York City resident alleges, her then-8-year-old nephew, excited to see her arriving at his birthday party, jumped into her arms, causing her to fall and break her wrist.

And now she is suing him for $127,000 for his exuberance.

Connell, who lives on the tony Upper East Side of Manhattan, claims the boy, 12-year-old Sean Tarala of Westport, Conn., acted unreasonably in his greeting, causing her to fall and break her wrist four years ago, the Connecticut Post reported. This week Connell is asking a six-member jury to find the boy liable for his actions.

“The injuries, losses and harms to the plaintiff were caused by the negligence and carelessness of the minor defendant in that a reasonable eight years old under those circumstances would know or should have known that a forceful greeting such as the one delivered by the defendant to the plaintiff could cause the harms and losses suffered by the plaintiff,” the lawsuit claims.

On Friday, the boy, now 12, appeared confused as he sat with his father in a courtroom in Bridgeport, the state’s largest city, the paper reported. The boy’s mother died last year and a listed phone number couldn't be found for the youngster's father, Michael Terala, according to The Associated Press.

On the witness stand, Connell, a human resources manager in Manhattan, testified she loves Sean, whom she described as always being “very loving” toward her, but believes he should take responsibility for her injury.

(The perfect type of broad for that job - AF)

According to testimony reported by the Post, Connell, who has no children of her own, arrived at the Tarala home in March 2011 to attend Sean’s party. When he spotted Connell, he dropped his new bicycle on the ground and ran toward her calling out, “Auntie Jen, Auntie Jen.”

“All of a sudden he was there in the air, I had to catch him and we tumbled onto the ground,” Connell testified. “I remember him shouting, ‘Auntie Jen I love you,’ and there he was flying at me.”

Although hurt, Connell told the jury, she didn’t complain at the time. “It was his birthday party and I didn’t want to upset him,” she said.

But, Connell continued, her life was turned upside down as a result of the injury.

“It has been very difficult,” the Post reported her as saying. “We all know how crowded it is in Manhattan.”
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-13-2015 at 05:08 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good grief, this woman needs to get a life.
    There is no spoon.

Ban assault hugz and 12 year olds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

A special level of evilness is required in order to sue a 12y/o for 127k. Holy crap.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    A special level of evilness is required in order to sue a 12y/o for 127k. Holy crap.
    Whose mother died in the meantime.

Maybe somebody told her the boy has that much money.

Hey folks, she isn't suing the boy. She is suing the insurance company. This is ALL about getting money out of the parents' homeowner's policy.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We all pay in the end when our deductibles go up because of frivolous lawsuits like this.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

We're all familiar with the phrase "man up", but I think there needs to be a "woman up". Life is full of accidents and injuries, especially among family members having fun. I think this woman is overreacting. And by think I mean I know she is overreacting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Hey folks, she isn't suing the boy. She is suing the insurance company. This is ALL about getting money out of the parents' homeowner's policy.
    Yeah, that's all well and good, but it's the boy that is having to stand in court, and wonder why his Aunt Jen is doing this, after having his mom die.

Thumbs up

Aunt LOSES $127,000 lawsuit against 12-year-old nephew who accidentally broke her wrist when he jumped into her arms
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mped-arms.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Aunt LOSES $127,000 lawsuit against 12-year-old nephew who accidentally broke her wrist when he jumped into her arms
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mped-arms.html
    Good. Karma.
    "I am a bird"

I'd counter sue the aunt... for making me waste time and money to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    I'd counter sue the aunt... for making me waste time and money to defend myself.
    Yeah mental anguish too!

Even in a has-been hole in the Earth's ass like Connecticut has some people left in it who won't let people take their nephew's insurance payout from his dead mother.

Faith in humanity... well, not restored, but not utterly destroyed, either.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Even in a has-been hole in the Earth's ass like Connecticut has some people left in it who won't let people take their nephew's insurance payout from his dead mother.

Faith in humanity... well, not restored, but not utterly destroyed, either.
    Wow, I didn't even fully make that connection.

Oh, goody. Courts. If you live in her state you should get a class action against here for a frivolous lawsuit. Your taxes paid for it. The mental anguish alone should break her.