Thread: Pharma Giant Funded their Own Study Claiming Drug Was Safe for Kids — It was Actually Deadly

Pharma Giant Funded their Own Study Claiming Drug Was Safe for Kids — It was Actually Deadly

Pharma Giant Funded their Own Study Claiming Drug Was Safe for Kids — It was Actually Deadly

Jay Syrmopoulos
    The Free Thought Project

Under current U.S. law, pharmaceutical companies are required to only market and advertise their drugs for FDA approved conditions.

Big pharma heavy-hitter GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) illegally influenced doctors to prescribe the antidepressant drug paroxetine (sold under the brand name Paxil) to teenagers and kids for years even though it was not FDA approved for use in adolescents.

Not to be discouraged by pesky laws, GSK began a focused marketing blitz aimed at doctors, which was a huge success with over 2 million Paxil prescriptions being written for kids in 2002 alone.

So why did doctors write over 2 million Paxil prescriptions for children when the drug was not even approved by the FDA for use in kids?

GlaxoSmithKine actually funded a research study that was published in 2001, known as Study 329, which claimed to show that the drug was “well tolerated and effective” in children.

A subsequent study, not funded by the pharmaceutical company, had drastically different conclusions as to the effectiveness and safety of Paxil in adolescents.

According to a report by Vox:

A major new analysis of the raw data behind Study 329, published in BMJ, suggests that the original conclusions were wildly wrong. Not only is Paxil ineffective, working no better than placebo, but it can actually cause serious side effects, including self-injury and suicide.

The New York State Attorney General’s office eventually found out what was going on with Paxil (and fraudulent activities related to other GSK drugs), sued GSK, and the company pleaded guilty to the wrongdoing, paying out $3 billion in fines. Through legal discovery, it became clear that the company knew their data on Paxil for teens was problematic, even hiring a PR firm to ghostwrite Study 329. In 2004, the FDA added an explicit “black box warning,” recommending against Paxil’s use in adolescents.

Read more: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/pharm...-deadly_102015
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's why you can't ever trust a single study.

Not only is Paxil ineffective,
    working no better than placebo,
    but it can actually cause serious side effects,
    including self-injury and suicide.
    Yeah right that only happens with health food.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Paxil can definitely make people suicidal when they stop taking it, this has been known for at least 10 years. Discontinuing its use should really be classified as an inpatient procedure, or at the very least, ensure the patient is never alone for the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Discontinuing its use should really be classified as an inpatient procedure
    Call it what you will, but I generally don't allow people known to be on anti depressants around my wife or son. I keep it unspoken; they're not welcome on my job site either. I've seen too many go off the deep end randomly. I put that class of drugs at par with junkies or meth heads.
    Last edited by presence; 10-14-2015 at 08:03 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Call it what you will, but I generally don't allow people known to be on anti depressants around my wife or son.
    How do you know if they're taking anti-depressants?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    How do you know if they're taking anti-depressants?
    Most often by word of mouth; I've got radar and ask directly or otherwise.

How do you know if someone is a painkiller junkie?
    I find antidepressant addiction to be just about as obvious.

Fish on Prozac Prove Anxious, Antisocial, Aggressive
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ial-agressive/

Antidepressants affect people’s moral behaviour, study finds
    http://www.sciencealert.com/antidepr...ur-study-finds

Common antidepressants can send our moral compasses spinning
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2010/...sses-spinning/
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/a...oral-judgement

Our study suggests that these medications can affect people's sense of right and wrong, which influences the choices they make in everyday life.

= "I'll $#@! you over with a shameless smile"

I don't need the drama thanks.
    Last edited by presence; 10-14-2015 at 10:38 AM.

I don't need the drama thanks.
    Oh no drama. I just wondered. that's all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Antidepressants affect people’s moral behaviour, study finds
    http://www.sciencealert.com/antidepr...ur-study-finds

Common antidepressants can send our moral compasses spinning
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2010/...sses-spinning/
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/a...oral-judgement

= I'll $#@! you over with a shameless smile
    From the study you linked to 3 times:

The new research, by scientists at the University of Cambridge's Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, discovered that healthy volunteers given drugs which increase their serotonin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), have an increased aversion to harming others, viewing such actions as morally forbidden.

- See more at: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/a....Me8CYCQ4.dpuf

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    increased aversion to harming others
    Until they wake up sober... (or they missed a day, or need to change prescriptions, need to change dose, ran out until Monday, or think they can just go cold turkey...)
    the pendulum swings hard the wrong way,
    they $#@! you good...
    then they take their happy pills again and simply can't fathom why you're pissed.

Been there done that many times over with half dozen or so acquaintances I've since shaken off.
    Last edited by presence; 10-14-2015 at 10:40 AM.

How else are they expected to recoup their investment?