Thread: Forced to sell my oil ETF in my 401K.

Forced to sell my oil ETF in my 401K.

Fidelity is forcing me to sell my oil ETF in my 401K. It sucks being forced to sell something when it's down and you know it's going back up. The reason given is that it generates UBTI (Unrelated Business Taxable Income). Anyone ever heard of this? It seems like they could do this with any investment ... except for US treasuries of course.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

By that definition UBIT could be anything. I haven't really started checking into this. I'm wondering if the other popular oil ETF has this problem.

what does "forcing me" mean?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    what does "forcing me" mean?
    It means I have until November something to sell it otherwise Fidelity will do it for me.

If you are in a company 401k you are limited to the options they offer. When they reduce their offerings, you either have to change to another one they have or cash out and pay a big penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Fidelity is forcing me to sell my oil ETF in my 401K. It sucks being forced to sell something when it's down and you know it's going back up. The reason given is that it generates UBTI (Unrelated Business Taxable Income). Anyone ever heard of this? It seems like they could do this with any investment ... except for US treasuries of course.
    Do you work for a non-profit, Madison? And is the 401k through them?

If you have to sell but you like the investment, you can just sell and buy something similar with the proceeds.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has to do with the structure of limited partnerships,which are in the ETF, and their tax treatment. They are treated much differently than other securities and you could owe taxes even owning it in a tax sheltered account.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic