Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 62% of Americans Have Under $1,000 in Savings, Survey Finds

62% of Americans Have Under $1,000 in Savings, Survey Finds

http://www.gobankingrates.com/saving...-survey-finds/

Having a savings fund is one of the keys to financial health. Yet trying to save is a struggle, especially because the biggest money challenge for Americans is sticking to a budget — a central skill to ensure enough money is left over each month to save.

To gauge how well Americans are saving, GOBankingRates conducted a survey that posed the question, “How much money do you have saved in your savings account?” The good news is that over half (51.3 percent — totaling all answers besides $0 and “I don’t have a savings account”) have at least something socked away in savings. But the survey findings also reveal that most Americans’ savings account balances are falling far short of where they should be.

“It’s worrisome that such a large percentage of Americans have so little set aside in a savings account,” said Cameron Huddleston, a personal finance expert and columnist for GOBankingRates. “It suggests that they likely don’t have cash reserves to cover an emergency and will have to rely on credit, friends, and family, or even their retirement accounts to cover unexpected expenses.”

The overall results from the survey show that 62 percent of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts, and a third of those under-savers have no savings account at all. The portion of savers with balances over $1,000 is 29.1 percent.

The most frequently selected amount that people say they have in savings is also the lowest $0; 28 percent of people selected this answer. Even worse, the next-most-common answer is “I don’t have a savings account,” selected by one in five people (20.7 percent).

Of people who have something in their savings accounts, the most common balance is $10,000 or more, a sign of financial health for those savers (14.2 percent). This amount is followed by 5 percent who have saved between $5,000 and $9,999, 9.9 percent who have saved $1,000 to $4,999, and 13 percent who have less than $1,000 in savings.

Another 9.2 percent of people say they keep just enough money in their savings accounts to meet the minimum balance requirements — a smart move that at least helps those depositors avoid maintenance fees. Minimum balance requirements can vary widely, however, and can be set relatively high compared with what most people are able to save. Bank of America, for example requires a minimum average balance of $1,500 a month to avoid its savings account fee, while Chase’s requirement is only $300.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FWIW, I'd SWAG that's probably just about right.

Not a valid measure of assets. I don't have a savings account. That doesn't mean I don't have any savings. Savings account is just one place you may have money. My checking account has over $10k in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Not a valid measure of assets. I don't have a savings account. That doesn't mean I don't have any savings. Savings account is just one place you may have money. My checking account has over $10k in it.
    It's most probably valid, it's just not yours or mine. Welcome to the other 38%.

Savings account offers no advantage over checking. The rate on both is close to zero thanks to ZIRP.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Savings account offers no advantage over checking. The rate on both is close to zero thanks to ZIRP.
    Do you have over a thousand in checking?

was that EVER supposed to be the intention of "savings"
    I don't think that it was.

today. my "savings" are all in physical silver.
    "savings" are a hedge zip.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Do you have over a thousand in checking?
    yes actually. but I call that "operating capital" it is not an asset or savings.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

that's odd. I have never seen you post in a fund raising effort for Rand..
    it also appears that you do not contribute to this website either.

I am not sure as to whether I should call bull$#@! or $#@!.

have a nice day!

If Americans do not have FN's in savings then the question should be...where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    If Americans do not have FN's in savings then the question should be...where are they?
    well, within that context, I am going to have to side with Zippy.

the fed is punishing savers. saving "money" (FRN's) is now stupid.
    (which is not really a new thing, now that I come to think about it..)

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    well, within that context, I am going to have to side with Zippy.

This^^ I am in the process of transferring a good chunk of my FRNs into a 100% gold-backed account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This^^ I am in the process of transferring a good chunk of my FRNs into a 100% gold-backed account.
    aw hell, I guess it had to happen..
    we agree on something!

physical silver (or gold) meets all the definitions of "savings".
    +rep.

physical lead is also a good investment.
    Last edited by HVACTech; 10-08-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: definition of "precious" metal.

What does "gold backed account" mean? Can you withdraw bullion?

I have 1192 dollars in savings. Woohoo! I made it!

It doesn't really count though...I have too much debt.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should shop around banks. I've been using ally for the past few years which gives about 1% on savings. There's a few really great internet banks if you shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    You should shop around banks. I've been using ally for the past few years which gives about 1% on savings. There's a few really great internet banks if you shop around.
    I have one that guarantees a certain minimum , certain percentage ea yr , usually around 4 to 6 , past 18 yrs or so , but I really do not use it .Figured I could do better with Carson City , football , you know , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    I have 1192 dollars in savings. Woohoo! I made it!

It doesn't really count though...I have too much debt.
    Meh , does not matter , today , at this moment , I may have ten times that in savings & checking , but it is only because I may owe , maybe 126,000 on three houses and five estates and , maybe , I will pay it all off next month and have 3k in savings .So , you see, it does not matter. Or , I am 65 yrs old , have no job , only 1k in savings , but I bring in 2 or 3 K ea month and have no bills ....

What do you expect when federal taxes and debt interest eats up at least half of a paycheck? All is tribute to bankers for the service of providing people "money" they already have the power to control without bankers.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Like Ron said, if you subsidize something you get more of it. Ally is the reincarnation of GMAC bank. Remember them? They were owned, then bailed out, by the same equity group that now owns a very large chunk of the firearms production capability in the US now. They literally used their bailout money to restart the bank with a different name (no branches now...a digital currency and labor-free NWO dream) and also take control of the gun industry. So yeah, keep giving them your money and make it even easier to steal.

Is that related to lawful money?
    Last edited by devil21; 10-09-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Holy $#@!, I'm rich...

Apparently. Ah well, got no debt, so I guess the balance is ok.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 10-09-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Holy $#@!, I'm rich...

Apparently. Ah well, got no debt, so I guess the balance is ok.
    Congrats! FWIW, I consider being debt free as being rich.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    This. These lame attempts to get people to leave their money to shrink in a bank are just ridiculous.

What's more, boys and girls, you should store your wool clothes for the summer in a hot dryer. Be sure to get them good and wet before you put them in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

In a free market banking system you could easily save for retirement by simply depositing a little money in a savings account each paycheck. It's a win-win situation. You get paid interest and the banks loan the money to businesses that use it for investment. That's how economies grow. But we've short circuited that process with ZIRP. Back in the old days you could get 5% interest in a savings account. And more if you put it in a CD.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    In a free market banking system you could easily save for retirement by simply depositing a little money in a savings account each paycheck. It's a win-win situation. You get paid interest and the banks loan the money to businesses that use it for investment. That's how economies grow. But we've short circuited that process with ZIRP. Back in the old days you could get 5% interest in a savings account. And more if you put it in a CD.
    Wait till we go negative on interest rates. You will have to run really fast in order not to fall off the treadmill.

We've already had backdoor negative interest rates for some time....checking account fees, overdraft fees, and atm fees.

Contrast this to Europe where some of these fees don't exist and banks actually pay you a reasonable rate of interest for your deposits.

Wait till we go negative on interest rates. You will have to run really fast in order not to fall off the treadmill.
    Savings account interest is, at most, one percent and inflation is at least three percent, and you think interest rates aren't negative already...?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Bank interest rates have always been lower than the rate of inflation. When you got five percent, inflation was running like eight percent. A "free banking system" won't pay above inflation rates on accounts. Their interest rate includes the expected rate of inflation plus their desired profit margin. On loans, the add on the profit margin to the rate you pay. On deposits, they subtract the profit margin from what they pay you. "Real" (after inflation) rates on deposits are always negative. Unless you locked in a long term CD and rates fell.

Bank interest rates have always been lower than the rate of inflation.
    Liar.

Banks paid interest when the dollar was a certain smidgeon of gold and the long term inflation rate was zero. The U.S. has had banks longer than it has had inflation. And since banks had a lot fewer money handling services to offer, of course they paid interest on savings. They had to.

So if the banks were once upon a time paying interest when there was no inflation at all, how could they pay less than zero and still pay interest? Explain that, please. Or does the word 'always' in your book only go back to the creation of your boss the Fed in 1913?

We know you get paid to post Fed Revisionist History, but you could at least try not to insult our intelligence when you do.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-09-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Liar.

Banks paid interest when the dollar was a certain smidgeon of gold and the long term inflation rate was zero. The U.S. has had banks longer than it has had inflation. And since banks had a lot fewer money handling services to offer, of course they paid interest on savings. They had to.

So if the banks were once upon a time paying interest when there was no inflation at all, how could they pay less than zero and still pay interest? Explain that, please. Or does the word 'always' in your book only go back to the creation of your boss the Fed in 1913?

We know you get paid to post Fed Revisionist History, but you could at least try not to insult our intelligence when you do.

Examples of when inflation was zero and what interest rates on savings accounts were at the time? What were the banks paying depositors in 1800? In 1900?

Or just blowing air?

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-09-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast