Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all you Peter Schiff Haters

For all you Peter Schiff Haters

I always think it's ironic that there's so many people on a Ron Paul forum who hate Peter Schiff. Their views are almost identical. Here's a new Ron Paul video featuring his friend ... Peter Schiff.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How is his hyperinflation thing doing? Is gold $5,000 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Off topic post.

On topic would be trying to prove that Schiff has a different view from Ron Paul on hyperinflation, which he does not.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The thread was not about Peter Shift? Sorry. Thought that was him in the video and the title.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-08-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Off topic post.

On topic would be trying to prove that Schiff has a different view from Ron Paul on hyperinflation, which he does not.
    Zippy is like a robot that automatically spits out propaganda based on certain input. It's obvious he's never actually listened to Schiff.

By the way Schiff nailed the latest moves from the Fed. He said they wouldn't raise rates and that they'd come up with an excuse that would put all the blame on unforeseen circumstances like "problems overseas". That's it exactly. The Fed's narrative is that the US economy is doing great but it's being dragged down by problems in China.
    Last edited by Madison320; 10-08-2015 at 02:34 PM.

I actually like Peter Schiff a lot.

Of course, we all have our own ideas about how to best manage our hard-earned money. That is what some people may not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I actually like Peter Schiff a lot.

Of course, we all have our own ideas about how to best manage our hard-earned money. That is what some people may not understand.
    I'd hate to see how you treat the people you DON'T like!

I like Peter but he's too much into promoting himself. Yes he was right about the big crash years ago and nobody listened to him.

For as far as I know he does not claim to know WHEN gold will hit $5000 but he certainly lets it come across as if he thinks it's really soon. Which is good for his business of course. Like I said, I mostly like him but I can see through his business side of things.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I always think it's ironic that there's so many people on a Ron Paul forum who hate Peter Schiff. Their views are almost identical. Here's a new Ron Paul video featuring his friend ... Peter Schiff.
    If I was looking for a forum online where there are great many people that hate Peter Schiff, RPFs wouldn't be near the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I like Peter but he's too much into promoting himself. Yes he was right about the big crash years ago and nobody listened to him.

For as far as I know he does not claim to know WHEN gold will hit $5000 but he certainly lets it come across as if he thinks it's really soon. Which is good for his business of course. Like I said, I mostly like him but I can see through his business side of things.
    When you predict a crash every year, eventually you will be right. He uses economic fears to sell his wares.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-08-2015 at 04:00 PM.

I'd hate to see how you treat the people you DON'T like!
    No kidding!!

Peter Schiff was WRONG!!!!
    Started by helmuth_hubener, 11-18-2013
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hiff-was-WRONG!!!!
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

When you predict a crash every year, eventually you will be right. He uses economic fears to sell his wares.
    This is disingenuous... he predicted the next crash after '08 was going to be within 5-10 years. He has predicted that there will be a crash, eventually, every year since then.

Call me in 2018.

The inverse is true as well. When there's a pyramid of playing cards teetering back and forth, I guess every time someone tells me it won't crash to the floor, they were right.

Until it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

This is disingenuous... he predicted the next crash after '08 was going to be within 5-10 years. He has predicted that there will be a crash, eventually, every year since then.

Call me in 2018.
    You are right. It is a constantly moving target but the exact same story every year. In 2009, he said we would have a currency crisis worse than the one we just had as soon as 2010 or maybe 2011- 2012. When it doesn't happen, then it is again in the next two to three years. (he has since dropped the "hyperinflation" thing though- the rest is still there).

You know, look, I know inflation is going to get worse in 2010. Whether it’s going to run out of control or it’s going to take until 2011 or 2012, but I know we’re going to have a major currency crisis coming soon. It’s going to dwarf the financial crisis and it’s going to send consumer prices absolutely ballistic, as well as interest rates and unemployment.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-08-2015 at 04:14 PM.

No kidding!!

Peter Schiff was WRONG!!!!
    Started by helmuth_hubener, 11-18-2013
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hiff-was-WRONG!!!!
    Thank you very much for linking to my thread so I didn't have to! I'm very proud of that thread. I think I made my case very well and anyone who is approachable by reason on the topic will come away with a good understanding of my thinking and probably gain at least a respect for it, even if in the end they do not agree.

Yes, I don't get what all this worry about "hyperinflation" is all about. yes, the monetary base has more than tripled over the past 8 years, no it's not a cause for concern, yes the Federal Reserve knows what they're doing, no this has never been tried before, but its ok because Yellen graduated from Yale, she's pretty smart.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do realize now, though, that it was probably a pointless thread that didn't help anyone, as had been my intent. It was a mistake to use Peter Schiff as the example because, rather than being thought-provoking, as I thought it would be, by being so unexpected and shocking, it simply made the in-tribe loyalty response kick in. Hairs stood up, ires were raised, wagons were circled, and I was excommunicated from the team of Good Guys in the minds of many people here (e.g. dannno and Madison320).

I could have made the exact same point using a different investment character, like Cramer. Or, even better, Robert Reich or Paul Krugman! Paul Krugman was Wrong!, now there's a winning thread. Then tribe loyalty would have been working for me, not against me, and maybe a few people would have actually understood what I was saying and been exposed to a new and interesting way of looking at investing theory. Alas, it was not to be. I was too "clever" for my own good.

I do realize now, though, that it was probably a pointless thread that didn't help anyone, as had been my intent. It was a mistake to use Peter Schiff as the example because, rather than being thought-provoking, as I thought it would be, by being so unexpected and shocking, it simply made the in-tribe loyalty response kick in. Hairs stood up, ires were raised, wagons were circled, and I was excommunicated from the team of Good Guys in the minds of many people here (e.g. dannno and Madison320).

I could have made the exact same point using a different investment character, like Cramer. Or, even better, Robert Reich or Paul Krugman! Paul Krugman was Wrong!, now there's a winning thread. Then tribe loyalty would have been working for me, not against me, and maybe a few people would have actually understood what I was saying and been exposed to a new and interesting way of looking at investing theory. Alas, it was not to be. I was too "clever" for my own good.
    It has nothing to do with tribalism. What you're basically saying is that we should be investing in something that we know is worthless in value in the longterm in order to get short term gains in our portfolio. Peter Schiff is saying that we don't know when the crash is going to happen, we don't know when hyperinflation is going to kick in, so invest in things that we know will have longterm value.

I mean, look at the market this week.. Horrible news coming out everywhere, which causes the stock market to go up because they know they are going to be getting their easy money for a while longer. The market is literally a heroin addict dying on the street right now.

Don't worry, dannno, it's all good. I don't expect you to understand. Just know that I respect Peter Schiff and that yes, I do know all about inflation and hyperinflation. All the best!

Thank you very much for linking to my thread so I didn't have to! I'm very proud of that thread. I think I made my case very well and anyone who is approachable by reason on the topic will come away with a good understanding of my thinking and probably gain at least a respect for it, even if in the end they do not agree.
    The issue I have was that you lie about his positions.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If I was looking for a forum online where there are great many people that hate Peter Schiff, RPFs wouldn't be near the top of my list.
    True, but it's probably about 50-50 on RPF which is a lot higher than you would think.

The same people that hate Peter Schiff are the same ones arguing in favor of open borders and how the US and Europe will die unless they fully embrace multiculturalism.

They're leftwing shills, who aren't really Ron Paul supporters. And are just here for the purposes of spreading propaganda.

I don't know why these people are allowed to stay and continue spreading nonsense, yet anyone who criticizes Rand, is pro-Trump or leans neoreactionary automatically gets the banhammer.

My only conclusion is that these leftist agitators have accomplished their goal and have subverted the entire forum.
    Last edited by DFF; 10-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.

The issue I have was that you lie about his positions.
    I am vehemently opposed to lying and actually, don't do it.

If you could quote the statements I made which you see as lies, I would be happy to explain them to you.

Look, Peter Schiff is absolutely RIGHT that fiat money is unsustainable, it's robbing from the future to pay for pleasure today, and it inevitably will end in disaster. I just take a very conservative, provident approach to not bet on that happening in any particular time frame. I take the position that I am simply not smart enough to predict the market movements and time things perfectly and profit wildly from that genius. I'm not saying Peter Schiff is -- he's not. He takes a long-term view, too. His strategy is built for the long-term, too. I just have a different strategy than him: a more humble, future-agnostic strategy, drawing from the wisdom of Harry Browne. Isn't that OK? Can't we all have our own ideas about how to protect our money? Do we all have to be in lock-step unanimity?

As for me, I say no. I say it's OK for all of us freedom-lovers to think independently. I am perfectly happy for other people to invest their money in their own preferred ways. There's not just one right answer to this. I merely wanted to share some fascinating new ideas I had discovered, and maybe help some people. Really, sincerely, that is all I wanted to do. Instead, I came off as being opposed to hard money, being pro-Keynesian, being, in short, one of the bad guys. None of which is at all true of me! But, hey, you can't fight psychology with reason. And so I failed. I failed completely.

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    The same people that hate Peter Schiff are the same ones arguing in favor of open borders and how the US and Europe will die unless they fully embrace multiculturalism.

They're leftwing shills....
    This actually is largely true!!

It's the fundamental biological split between "r" and "K".

That is, between the people who are rampantly promiscuous, anti-family, live-for-today, sexual liberation, diversity-is-strength people,

vs.

The people who are long-term planners, who save for the future, who oppose insane debt, who invest tons of time and effort into their kids, and who believe the obvious: that some people are higher quality than others.

The first group survives by reproductive "rate" (thus the "r"). Breed early, breed often. No Dad? No problem. In fact, that's better. Sheer numbers. The immigration invasion is great for the "r" people. More numbers, baby! Flood out the Ks!

The second group, K, survives by selectivity, by increasing the quality of the gene pool. They are less fertile, only have kids they can actually afford to support, and value virtue and long-term planning.

The Ks ask things like: "We can't just print infinite amounts of money; what about the long-term effects on the nation?" The Rs just laugh and say: "What are you talking about, you square? In the long-run, we're all dead!" They do not even understand what the K is talking about. It's Greek to them. "Health care is free, right? The hospital is right there. Obviously everyone should have free health care! If you don't think so, you're just mean." Only a K would ask something like "Umm, where are we going to get the resources for that? How are we going to pay for it?" That is a silly K question that only a lamer K -- like Ron Paul, like Peter Schiff, like me, like you, DFF -- would ask. Rs just operate as if there's infinite resources that can never run out.

Rs tend to be on the left. And yes, just as you say, the Rs are the ones in favor of unlimited immigration.

Now it's true there are a tiny number of Ks -- like me! -- who were hoodwinked into supporting open immigration as well. But we supported it for very different reasons than the Rs. We are all about pure logic and theory and support it on those grounds, setting aside and ignoring all practical consequences. Hopefully, that is coming to an end, we are all seeing the error of our ways, and the open-borders libertarian will be a thing of the past as we all get smarter and grow up and graduate into realistic libertarians.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    True, but it's probably about 50-50 on RPF which is a lot higher than you would think.
    When you actually have money, you start caring whether an investing strategy actually works.

Does that make sense?

It's not that anyone here hates Schiff. We are all for sound money and an end to central banks, just like he is. We just may invest somewhat differently than him.

I am vehemently opposed to lying and actually, don't do it.

If you could quote the statements I made which you see as lies, I would be happy to explain them to you.
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Since you weren't lying that means you're just "intellectually challenged".

Basically Schiff says to stay away from bonds that they "might" collapse in 2011 or 2012. You turned that into "Schiff predicts bonds will collapse in 2011".

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...RONG!!!!/page6

This is a common theme among Schiff Haters. Schiff will say something like "I don't think it's likely but if the Fed keeps printing it will end in hyperinflation."

Then the Helmuths and Zippys turn that into "Peter Schiff predicts hyper-inflation in 2012!"

Zippy might be lying but I guess you're just dumb. Personally I'd rather be a liar than dumb, but it is what it is.

I just take a very conservative, provident approach to not bet on that happening in any particular time frame.
    So investing in a Ponzie scheme you see as "conservative"... as long as you get in early enough?

Personally I'd rather be a liar than dumb, but it is what it is.
    Well personally: I wouldn't. So consider me dumb if you like; that's fine. In many ways, I am!

I found the post you're talking about; it is here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...72#post5324972

Here is the context: Schiff was on a New Year's Predictions TV program. He was giving predictions for the New Year. That is what the host asked him for, and that is what he gave, or at least appeared to give.

One of the predictions he gave was: "[T]he bull market is bonds is over. And the mother of all bear markets has begun. So, stay away from bonds." That is literally what he said. My point was, that prediction was wrong. Because my real point was: chances are way too high that every prediction from everyone is always going to be wrong! My point was, anyone who believed that prediction and acted on it was wrong and lost money in 2011. Because my real point was that anyone who believes any predictions whatsoever is always (methodologically) wrong and will always lose money!

But there I go again, trying to explain my investment philosophy, and I already know it's not going to work. These concepts are abstract and complicated. They are not for everyone.

I guess the "lie" you were accusing me of was of putting the statement into its context of 2011 predictions and judging it by that standard. That's all I did. I interpreted it in a reasonable way, and in what I saw as the correct context. You re-interpret it to say: no, predictions for 2011 is what the host asked him for, true, and that is what he appeared to give, but actually he was making a more long-term prediction, which can't be wrong yet, because not enough time has passed.

And that's fine. Maybe that is how Mr. Schiff meant his statement -- I am not a mind-reader. And if so, yes, he will probably eventually be proven right as inflation increases and interest rates on bonds go up (making the existing bonds far less valuable).

Details like this were never my point anyway -- it was that one can never rely on specific predictions from anyone. I hope you now understand this dummy at least a little better.

So investing in a Ponzie scheme you see as "conservative"... as long as you get in early enough?
    I advocate keeping at least 25% of your long-term savings in gold. Do you not consider that conservative?

How much do you recommend keeping in gold, dannno?

I advocate keeping at least 25% of your long-term savings in gold. Do you not consider that conservative?

How much do you recommend keeping in gold, dannno?
    How much different is that from Peter Schiff's recommendation?

Probably about the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast