Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy out, Speaker of the House position wide open

McCarthy out, Speaker of the House position wide open

In a surprise move, Kevin McCarthy, the establishment candidate to replace John Boehner as Speaker of the House has dropped out of the running. This comes after the House Freedom Caucus endorsed Daniel Webster of Florida for Speaker.

More to come...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kevin McCarthy Withdraws from Speaker Race
    Cortney O'Brien | Oct 08, 2015

Capitol Hill was shocked Thursday morning with news that the perceived frontrunner for Speaker of the House, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has withdrawn from the race.

Breaking: GOP congressman tells me @GOPLeader is postponing speaker election...and took himself out of the race.
    — Eliana Johnson (@elianayjohnson) October 8, 2015

The only possible explanation for his exit is his disastrous comments about the Benghazi select committee. They were so damaging, that the Clinton campaign used the sound bite in a campaign ad and a prominent conservative group announced they were supporting his opponent, Rep. Daniel Webster (R-FL) McCarthy had over 200 votes secured for the Oct. 29 vote. This race is suddenly blown wide open.
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortney...-race-n2063011
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

With the race now postponed..

Thomas Massie endorsed Daniel Webster quite a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Thomas Massie endorses Webster at the 9:00 minute mark...

https://soundcloud.com/the-joe-ellio...-thomas-massey

McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed
    Published October 08, 2015

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace John Boehner, stunned his Republican colleagues on Thursday by withdrawing from the race -- a decision that will postpone the vote for speaker.

Fox News is told McCarthy simply said it was not his time. McCarthy faced opposition from some conservative members and groups, but was thought to have more than enough support to win the party's nomination in the vote initially set for Thursday.

It's unclear what specifically made McCarthy change his mind and drop out.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...-speaker-vote/

Heck yeah, we'll see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Chester Copperpot

i wonder if hes any relation to the daniel webster of congress of the 1800s

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now the pundits won't be able to hide that the Boehner resignation was exactly about the establishment's suppression of the more Tea Party and liberty oriented House members. The next Speaker can't go back to business as usual, and will have to work with, not beat down the Thomas Massie wing of Congress.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Somebody had dirt on McCarthy. He obviously did this under duress because he didn't want his dirty laundry aired out.

This is going to be interesting.

Walter Jones had dirt on an affair.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    the Thomas Massie wing of Congress.
    I like the sound of that
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Somebody had dirt on McCarthy. He obviously did this under duress because he didn't want his dirty laundry aired out.

Everyone had dirt on McCarthy. His affair was an open "secret" in DC.

More importantly, he didn't have the votes, and he knew it.

No, he dropped out because he couldn't win. He had to get to 218 votes which meant that if 30 Republicans opposed him then he was toast.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Pundits and media are pushing Paul Ryan now. They are simply working their way down the establishment power chain.

phone calls made a difference

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    scenario...

Webster speaker...Massie gets a chair...

shazaaam...

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    phone calls made a difference
    Yep. It kept McCarthy from getting the votes he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    No, he dropped out because he couldn't win. He had to get to 218 votes which meant that if 30 Republicans opposed him then he was toast.
    Agreed. The party is too divided for anybody to get the votes needed for the job (the candidate must win all but about 25 Republican votes to get the job). Now they are looking for a "temporary fix" (ala budget extensions)- somebody to take it for just a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Agreed. The party is too divided for anybody to get the votes needed for the job (the candidate must win all but about 25 Republican votes to get the job). Now they are looking for a "temporary fix" (ala budget extensions)- somebody to take it for just a short time.
    Maybe they could just pick someone who actually follows the rules, plus doesn't treat everybody else like crap? That's the reasoning behind Massie supporting Webster. I would certainly prefer someone like Massie to actually be speaker, but someone who gives guys like him a fair shake would be better than what we have had.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Maybe they could just pick someone who actually follows the rules, plus doesn't treat everybody else like crap? That's the reasoning behind Massie supporting Webster. I would certainly prefer someone like Massie to actually be speaker, but someone who gives guys like him a fair shake would be better than what we have had.
    Exactly. And it's amazing how much the establishment and their media want to avoid anyone who is fair or will follow regular order. It's all about brute power.

Even before this Press Release, Wolf Blitzer was on CNN saying no problem, Boehner can just stay.

Statement by Speaker Boehner on the Speaker Election
    October 8, 2015|Speaker Boehner's Press Office

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today issued the following statement regarding the election for a new Speaker of the House of Representatives:

“After Leader McCarthy’s announcement, members of the House Republican Conference will not vote today for a new Speaker. As I have said previously, I will serve as Speaker until the House votes to elect a new Speaker. We will announce the date for this election at a later date, and I’m confident we will elect a new Speaker in the coming weeks. Our conference will work together to ensure we have the strongest team possible as we continue to focus on the American people’s priorities.”

There’s a guy out in America who has emails for a massive number of members of Congress and the email addresses of highly influential conservatives outside Congress.

A few days ago, he emailed out to 91 people, including these members of Congress, an email with a series of links to stories alleging a relationship between Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) 61% and Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC) 60% of North Carolina. It is worth nothing that the two deny a relationship.

But the email began circulating pretty heavily. Conservatives were buzzing about it. The first line pointed to the current scandal about Denny Hastert and concluded suggesting that if the rumor about McCarthy and his personal life were true, he was a national security risk.
    More: http://www.redstate.com/2015/10/08/t...thys-decision/

LOL, "we need to postpone the vote because our guy won't win if we vote right now."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What the hell is going on? Does this mean that Boehner could potentially remain speaker if nobody gets 218 votes?

Live: Jeb Bush is saying good things about Daniel Webster (but not surprising due to their Florida connection). And now Jeb can say he is anti-establishment...

These idiots are going to end up asking the Democrats who they want and just go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    What the hell is going on? Does this mean that Boehner could potentially remain speaker if nobody gets 218 votes?
    Was Boehner's resignation (and effective date) legally binding?

Thanks to Chuck Johnson and Walter Jones for making this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    I really don't know anything in regards to procedural votes, but I think Massie was saying a week ago or so that they can make a motion to vacate the chair at anytime, which would force a vote on Boehner and since he clearly doesn't have votes, he would be removed as Speaker. I don't see Boehner lasting any longer than when he said he would be resigning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast