Thread: Market's up, bad news already forgotten!

Market's up, bad news already forgotten!

Have you noticed how quickly the economic commentary turns positive after a couple of up days in the market? The only reason the market is going up is because we've had so much bad news (jobs, GDP, manufacturing indexes, earnings) that there's almost no chance of a rate hike. If the DOW hits 17,000 all the bad data will be completely forgotten.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    American apparel filed for bankruptcy. Rally!

Quote Originally Posted by fatjohn View Post
    American apparel filed for bankruptcy. Rally!
    And Dupont suddenly ousts their CEO. Stock surges after hours!

Earnings period coming up....not going to be pretty.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

YUM (owns KFC, pizza hut) opens earnings season with a giant miss. -17% in after trading.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    And Dupont suddenly ousts their CEO. Stock surges after hours!

Earnings period coming up....not going to be pretty.
    I agree. Bad earnings might kill the ZIRP euphoria.

My guess is that a lot of the earnings are dependent on the stock market. I'll bet companies have been borrowing at low rates and buying stocks. So with the market going down AND consumers that are broke it may get pretty bad.

I just thought of something. If my guess is right and earnings are dependent on the market, think about how twisted that is. It should be the other way around. The market should go up or down based on earnings. And earnings should be based on making a good product and selling it at a good price. I think that's another reason why QE and ZIRP screws up the economy. No one is making anything. They're just gambling.

I must be missing something.

A good week ago the market stood at 16000

Then the news came in off

Bad job numbers, together with the revisions of juli and august the market suddenly knew that the economy had about 120000 jobs less than expected.
    Everyday since there's been a company announcing another 1000+ layoffs
    Monsanto, yum and some others have been reporting very bad results (most notably in china)
    The US posted a disastrous trade deficit, equalling the largest on record were it not for the now rapidly busting shale gas boom.
    The syrian war has escalated tremendously with the entrance of russia and iran.

But the market now tries to breach 17000?

What the $#@!?

Bad job numbers, together with the revisions of juli and august the market suddenly knew that the economy had about 120000 jobs less than expected.
    Monsanto, yum and some others have been reporting very bad results (most notably in china)
    The US posted a disastrous trade deficit, equalling the largest on record were it not for the now rapidly busting shale gas boom.

What the $#@!?
    I'm almost positive markets are up because they are not expecting imminent rate hikes, because of all that bad news.

The funny part is that if the markets go up too much, expectations of a rate hike might come back, and then the market will tank again!

Keep in mind that Chinese markets have been closed for the last week.

Since the big corps that seem to drive market moves lately are global, a lot of the moves in US markets are more influenced by foreign countries than the US economy itself. I do think people have to stop viewing US markets in a US-centric light. Such is the nature of globalism.

(zippy has been noticeably absent lately )
    Last edited by devil21; 10-07-2015 at 04:20 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Since the big corps that seem to drive market moves lately are global, a lot of the moves in US markets are more influenced by foreign countries than the US economy itself. I do think people have to stop viewing US markets in a US-centric light. Such is the nature of globalism.
    You think China is a bigger factor than the lowered expectation of a rate hike on bad news?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    You think China is a bigger factor than the lowered expectation of a rate hike on bad news?
    Tough question. Not sure there's a simple yes/no answer. China and others may not be a bigger factor but it is a big factor and growing bigger every day. I'm convinced that most stuff that has constituted the "financial world" of the last 15 years was for the purpose of demoting America (and the reserve dollar, really) from sole superpower, shifting industry out of the US on the backs of taxpayers and redeveloping it in other countries (BRICS). Eventually, that means that GM stock traded in the US, for example, is as heavily influenced by Russia as it is by the US, seeing as how the GM bailout essentially paid to ship US GM factories to Russia.

Just an observation based on all the comments I read (not necessarily on RPF) about how the US economy seems to have little impact on what the US stock markets do.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I agree. Bad earnings might kill the ZIRP euphoria.

My guess is that a lot of the earnings are dependent on the stock market. I'll bet companies have been borrowing at low rates and buying stocks. So with the market going down AND consumers that are broke it may get pretty bad.

I just thought of something. If my guess is right and earnings are dependent on the market, think about how twisted that is. It should be the other way around. The market should go up or down based on earnings. And earnings should be based on making a good product and selling it at a good price. I think that's another reason why QE and ZIRP screws up the economy. No one is making anything. They're just gambling.
    Earnings can impact stock prices but stock prices are not a part of a company's earnings. Rising or falling stocks have no impact on their earnings.

(zippy has been noticeably absent lately )
    China Market was closed for their National Holiday celebrations- reopens Thursday. I was in Jackson Hole Wyoming for a week.

If they own their own stock, it would increase company valuation.

Tough question. Not sure there's a simple yes/no answer. China and others may not be a bigger factor but it is a big factor and growing bigger every day. I'm convinced that most stuff that has constituted the "financial world" of the last 15 years was for the purpose of demoting America (and the reserve dollar, really) from sole superpower, shifting industry out of the US on the backs of taxpayers and redeveloping it in other countries (BRICS). Eventually, that means that GM stock traded in the US, for example, is as heavily influenced by Russia as it is by the US, seeing as how the GM bailout essentially paid to ship US GM factories to Russia.

Just an observation based on all the comments I read (not necessarily on RPF) about how the US economy seems to have little impact on what the US stock markets do.
    Maybe China has an effect but the correlation between cheap money and the stock market is a time tested fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Not always.

lol, what a solid chart..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let me rephrase that. Low rates makes stocks go up "in the short run". The long term driver is QE. Lowering rates provides only a temporary boost that will fade over time. QE will cause the market to go "up" permanently because it devalues the dollar. The market is not actually going up, it's just that the measuring stick is smaller.

I feel as if the world has gone mad.

Deutsche bank loses billions. Rally!

I live in Germany which seems to be rapidly developing to become #1 scheissland in a few months.

Bad export data, deutsche bahn drops 5000 jobs, 1 million islamic refugees being welcomed (wtf?), VW scandal, deutsche bank worst bank in the world, the list goes on and on.

Dax is up YTD though so thats good.

What the $#@!?
    Over 17 and gold up .

LibForestPaul

Global banking families think in generational terms.

In general, stock prices reflect what people think the company will be worth in the future- not necessarily where they are today.