Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 193 thread - OFFICIAL- Ronda Rousey v Holly Holm

UFC 193 thread - OFFICIAL- Ronda Rousey v Holly Holm

Predictions?

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hopefully Rousey by makeout....errr I mean, knockout.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Last edited by orenbus; 10-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

This one is going to be really close if they both bring their A games. UFC seems to typically just throw less skilled fighters to Ronda as sorta sacrificial lambs to slaughter for ratings... but Holm clearly hits hard and accurately AND has quite good defense. First round is going to be Ronda largely on the defense, using grappling to wear down Holm. (Round 1 goes to Holm) Ronda is going to take a lot of beating in round 2, as Holm will have sufficient time between rounds to gather her breath and exploit her striking skills. (Round 2 is either tie or Holm) By round 3 Ronda is able to read Holm well enough to get her to the ground and win by ground choke or armbar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Rousey armbar in the first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Rousey armbar in the first minute.
    In practice, probably that^^ I hope it will be more interesting this time though...hope springs eternal and all that.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Joanna Jedrzejczyk is a monster!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great hype video... doesn't look like the other girl stands a chance though. Wish they could find a way to start booking more competitive fights.

holm by a split, which will setup a rematch...

big bucks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Great hype video... doesn't look like the other girl stands a chance though. Wish they could find a way to start booking more competitive fights.
    This^^ I don't follow WMMA much, but it seems to need new blood and more depth. Women fighters in Europe, Asia, and Latin America are more interesting in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This^^ I don't follow WMMA much, but it seems to need new blood and more depth. Women fighters in Europe, Asia, and Latin America are more interesting in my experience.
    At 115 I agree with you that there are better women fighters we've seen coming out of Europe and Latin America, this is evident if you look at the contestants from "The Ultimate Fighter 20" (including Paige VanZant) vs. some of the talent coming out of those regions now. At Strawweight I wanted to see a match between Claudia Gadelha and Joanna Jedrzejczyk. They fought I believe last December and came down to a decision that many (myself included), thought Claudia won and was robbed of the victory and future title shot. There is an argument that Joanna since then has improved and is a total different fighter now, but I think that fight has a very good chance of going either way. Unfortunately Claudia was injured recently during training, which is why Joanna is fighting Letourneau at UFC 193. The 115 division has more potential for depth and new blood, the problem there is Joanna bottom line is just a beast striker.

The 135 division is a problem, where there are possible threats for Joanna at 115 the same can't really be said right now for Rousey at 135. There really is no one aside from possibly Cris Cyborg (assuming she switches from Invicta and comes down to 135 from 145) that only really has a punchers chance of beating Rousey. Miesha Tate was supposed to get the next fight against Rousey but got robbed of the chance as at the last second the UFC decided that a match against Holly Holm would make for a more interesting narrative as opposed to Rousey vs. Tate 3. Miesha (former strike force champ) has been the only person to take Rousey outside of the first round, but was completely beaten the entire time never really being any threat to Rousey.

Rousey has pretty much cleared her division aside from a few fighters now making their way up like Holly Holm, Amanda Nunes and Juliana Pena, all three of whom are really untested against some of the best veteran MMA fighters that were in the top 7 rankings before hand. The UFC is having a real problem positioning challengers against Rousey, that is pretty clear. The biggest loser to all of this is Miesha Tate who was lined up for a shot against Rousey:

But is now essentially playing gatekeeper fighting tougher challengers than what is being matched up against Rousey.

Fast Forward 40 seconds.

Still UFC 193 is going to be fun to watch regardless, just like the Rousey match against Bethe Correia recently in Brazil which broke records and made Ronda Rousey the highest paid fighter, man or woman, (including Conor Mcgregor) the UFC has right now. The question isn't if Rousey will win, the question is how long will she let her opponent stay in the fight before breaking her arm or knocking her out, it's the Mike Tyson phenomena all over again.
    Last edited by orenbus; 10-09-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Does anyone agree with me that the UFC should expand the women's weight divisions? I'm very much against most moves to add weight classes, but for the women it makes sense, both from a fan stand point and financially business standpoint. It would also make any future Rousey vs. Cyborg matchup much more sensible/marketable IMO. Case in point: If Ronda lost to Cyborg where does the UFC go from there after their biggest star has been dethroned by this outsider who likely won't fight at a lighter weight again. Does she just come in for a one-and-done and then disappear after taking Ronda's belt? That's stupid from a business standpoint. With four weight classes in the mix that fight makes more sense because Cyborg could go back to her natural division and Ronda could theoretically build herself back up into a rematch or jump into the 145lbs division.

Champions and Likely Champs (Tell me how having these woman as your champions wouldn't make $$$)

115lbs - Joanna Jedrzejczyk

125lbs - Meisha Tate (probably)

135lbs - Ronda Rousey

145lbs - Cyborg
    Last edited by Bastiat's The Law; 10-09-2015 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    They're coming. And I don't think the wait will be long considering the financial incentives fighting MMA over other other combat sports. "TiffTimeBomb" (Tiffany Van Soest), who is the current WBC Muay Thai World Champion, recently called out the 115lbs UFC Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk. What an epic fight that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Does anyone agree with me that the UFC should expand the women's weight divisions? I'm very much against most moves to add weight classes, but for the women it makes sense, both from a fan stand point and financially business standpoint. It would also make any future Rousey vs. Cyborg matchup much more sensible/marketable IMO. Case in point: If Ronda lost to Cyborg where does the UFC go from there after their biggest star has been dethroned by this outsider who likely won't fight at a lighter weight again. Does she just come in for a one-and-done and then disappear after taking Ronda's belt? That's stupid from a business standpoint. With four weight classes in the mix that fight makes more sense because Cyborg could go back to her natural division and Ronda could theoretically build herself back up into a rematch or jump into the 145lbs division.

Champions and Likely Champs (Tell me how having these woman as your champions wouldn't make $$$)

115lbs - Joanna Jedrzejczyk

125lbs - Meisha Tate (probably)

135lbs - Ronda Rousey

145lbs - Cyborg
    Guess the biggest issue is the argument some are making regarding depth in the talent pool if there is already a challenge in the existing divisions, and lack of big names, but this may just be something some like to complain about without having any real impact on the business side or existing fan base. Hard to determine how things will play out without actually doing it and finding new stars. Not every division is going to be as successful or as popular as the next, we see this even on the men's side. The one concern would be, would Tate and Cyborg be just as dominant as the other two in the new divisions, Cyborg already having little to no competition at 145 in Invicta, but then again does this matter?

I agree with your idea here to expand the women's weight divisions, I think that would be great, as a fan that means more fights on new cards! If they don't make a 125 division soon, Bellator will, and there is a good chance Tate and a number of others that would be more comfortable fighting at 125 will be moving over. Expanding the divisions makes sense, from what I've heard though Dana White says there is no plans in the near future for this to happen, but then again we've heard that before.

In case you want to synch the video with the fight companion to see the fight they are watching:

Last edited by orenbus; 10-09-2015 at 06:01 AM.

loveshiscountry

Rousey fights Holms' fight and looses. Only tried to take her down once and Holm got out. Huge upset, great fight by Holm.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    pretty crazy
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    Rousey fights Holms' fight and looses. Only tried to take her down once and Holm got out. Huge upset, great fight by Holm.
    good.

I don't really follow UFC, but I had a feeling this was coming. No matter how hard a fighter trains, getting the massive publicity like Rousey gets is going to mess with their head to the point where they can't recognize when they are getting in the ring with a better fighter.

Something is profoundly disturbing about watching women fight for money - and worse, alleged men cheering them on. A healthy culture would not have this activity.

Here is the finish of the fight. Don't watch it if you can't stomach seeing a woman tossed around like a rag doll. Also watch fast before UFC takes it down

I personally didn't think any woman could take her but the fight was amazing. Holms dominated the fight from start to finish, dodged her strikes, even took her down and countered just about everything she threw at her. Ronda needs some serious work on her stand up game.
    Last edited by juleswin; 11-15-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Looked like a direct kick to the carotid artery.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Something is profoundly disturbing about watching women fight for money - and worse, alleged men cheering them on. A healthy culture would not have this activity.
    I would feel the same way if they weren't trained martial artists, like if it was women pulling each other's hair outside on the sidewalk or something.

Good! Serves her right for endorsing Bernie Sanders.
    "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice." ~ William Lloyd Garrison
    STRATEGY: Three Essential Guidelines for the Liberty Movement

Liberty Policy Journal
    Striking at the Root

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    full fight, low quality but still good enough to see what happened.

I agree.

About $#@!ing time that division got some legitimate competition at the top echelons.

What? This sounds like nothing more than feels before reals.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

There's a reason not many people watch women's sports, such as the WNBA. The men will always always always be better. Do you want to watch the best women, or the best period? Also it's not very fun to watch a contest to see who can be the most masculine woman. It's not so healthy for the women either. Many of them lose their periods the more athletic they get
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 11-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-31-2016 at 12:45 PM.

I wish I bet Holm. Last time I saw odds that lopsided was when Fedor went down.
    Last edited by brandon; 11-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast