Thread: Cemetery volunteers concerned after kid's birthday party held on grounds

Cemetery volunteers concerned after kid's birthday party held on grounds

What the hell? Who would think having a kids birthday party at a cemetery is a good idea.

I suppose the state or a bank owns the cemetery.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – A final resting place doesn't sound like a place for a child's birthday party but it's exactly what happened at Eastern Cemetery over the weekend.

"One hundred years of family burials in my family have went on here. And to me, that's a sacred place," Wayne Miller, Friends of Eastern Cemetery volunteer said.

But this Sunday--Eastern Cemetery's sacredness was compromised for a kid birthday party.

"The slide was in this area. I witnessed it--as I left I witnessed it. I could see it from back there but I witnessed it very closely because the children we everywhere out into the drive. At the front of the cemetery, the very front, there were children all over the grounds here playing amongst the stones--some of them laying in the grass," Miller said.

Miller is a part of the group Friends of Eastern Cemetery. Every Sunday, volunteers maintain the grounds. And after six hours of work this past Sunday volunteers noticed inflatable slides being set up. So they approached the party hosts.

"One of the guys that lives in that apartment building down there claimed to own the cemetery which we all know better," Andy Harpole, Friends of Eastern Cemetery president said.

In 1992, the former owners of the cemetery abandoned the property--with no one left to maintain it. And since volunteers started doing their part in its upkeep in 2013--they've taken a lot of pride in the cemetery.

"It is not a pretty sight. It's like a carnival event--whatever they were having a party. They should've rented a place to do that. This was not for rent. Our graves are here. Our family is here. We feel that this belongs to us," Miller said.

It's a place without a true, legal owner--but now many are stepping up to defend their loved ones who claim Eastern Cemetery as their final resting place.
    http://www.whas11.com/story/news/loc...unds/73005034/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In 1992, the former owners of the cemetery abandoned the property--with no one left to maintain it

WRONG

What this is MEANT to say is "In 1992 the holders of the property's title stopped paying the state's rent on it and surprise, surprise, the state has spent 23 years jerking off and not doing anything to figure out who it can extract rent from now".

I mean, how the hell do you abandon a piece of land? Since when can you not leave your property vacant if you want?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Also, I disagree with the whole notion of cemeteries. The whole concept is a terrible use of land and it says nothing positive at all about human life.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Also, I disagree with the whole notion of cemeteries. The whole concept is a terrible use of land and it says nothing positive at all about human life.
    I don't like cemeteries either but I still think it's $#@!ty to have a kid's birthday party in one.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Back to earth, without burning a whole $#@! ton of fuel (and pollution) to cremate you.

What's not to like?

Of course, I'd like to be buried right on my property, but that's prohibited in the land of the free,

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Back to earth, without burning a whole $#@! ton of fuel (and pollution) to cremate you.

What's not to like?

Of course, I'd like to be buried right on my property, but that's prohibited in the land of the free,
    I'm hoping for a Viking funeral or being put in a barrel and being tossed over Niagara Falls. My kids are leaning toward a Viking Funeral. They say I'm heavier than I look and they don't want to roll my barrel all the way to the spot I picked out to go in the river.

If the dead people there are still hanging out in the cemetery, they were probably pretty stoked to have a kids birthday party come visit.

Would be an interesting place to hold an edm festival..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What's not to like?

I thought you should just be tossed off a ship.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    What the hell? Who would think having a kids birthday party at a cemetery is a good idea.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I'm hoping for a Viking funeral or being put in a barrel and being tossed over Niagara Falls. My kids are leaning toward a Viking Funeral. They say I'm heavier than I look and they don't want to roll my barrel all the way to the spot I picked out to go in the river.
    Rotten kids...

LOL!

My youngest kid wanted to have his birthday party at Target when he was four. Said he liked the food there. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Hopefully they played fun party games like "Buried Alive" and "Pin the Tail on the Donkey Skeleton".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Did the volunteers enforce the 'NO DIGGING ALLOWED' rule for the party?

It's a place without a true, legal owner--
    False. The government owns it.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 09:01 AM.

What's not to like?

i'm going to be cremated, and have them toss in some racing slicks i have laying around....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I suppose the state or a bank owns the cemetery.

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/loc...unds/73005034/
    Suz, do a google on "Jazz funeral", people morn going in and dance coming out. Celebrating life and it's cycles. People have kids to continue family lines. I don't see this as weird. More like connecting with your lineage - assuming relatives are buried there.

POP QUIZ!

Would you ever have sex in a cemetery?

A) Sure
    B) Only with the living
    C) No way!

-t

btw: there are only 2 ways to avoid being embalmed in this country. 1) die at sea and get a maritime burial. 2) donate your body to the "body farm".

yeah, you even get embalmed if you get cremated. Gee - wonder who lobbied for that one...

-t

That's not correct. Embalming is a serious breach of dogma in both Judaism and Islam. The body has to be put in an unsealed box so that it can decompose, and the funeral has to be like the day after death.

If there was a law on the books making this impossible you'd have two religions generally known for having a lot of resources pitting those resources against that law.

I plan to be stuffed and then have some large helium balloons strapped to me so that I can float wherever the wind takes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

That's not correct. Embalming is a serious breach of dogma in both Judaism and Islam. The body has to be put in an unsealed box so that it can decompose, and the funeral has to be like the day after death.

If there was a law on the books making this impossible you'd have two religions generally known for having a lot of resources pitting those resources against that law.
    Interesting - got refs?

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

POP QUIZ!

Would you ever have sex in a cemetery?

A) Sure
    B) Only with the living
    C) No way!

-t
    B, or maybe D) Never again!

Meanwhile, the living continue being trampled, mostly where there are no volunteers to voice concern.