Thread: Newly Published Clinton Email Reveals How Government Manipulates Media

Newly Published Clinton Email Reveals How Government Manipulates Media

And the lapdogs are more than happy to comply.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...ipulates-media

A Hillary Clinton staffer planted questions in a CBS 60 Minutes interview with Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, according to email records released this week. At the time of the interview in early 2011, Assange had already leaked sensitive, embarrassing information from the State Department. The unclassified staff email to Clinton, released amid her ongoing email scandal, demonstrates not only that the former Secretary of State and her staff were out to discredit Assange, but that the government manipulates media and wields heavy influence over it.

In an email from January 28, 2011, Philip J. Crowley, then Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, alerted Hillary Clinton that 60 Minutes conducted an interview with Assange set to air on the 30th. As Crowley informed her, “We had made a number of suggestions for outside experts and former diplomats to interview to ‘balance’ the piece.” This statement alone shows the access to media that powerful government agents enjoy.

He goes on to further reveal that influence: “60 Minutes assures me that they raised a number of questions and concerns we planted with them during the course of the interview,” Crowley said, suggesting the interview would not be embarrassing to Clinton or the State Department: “We will be prepared to respond to the narrative Assange presents during the program.”

The 2011 interview features a younger looking Assange with interviewer Steve Kroft.

Several minutes into the conversation, Kroft asks Assange point-blank if he is a “subversive.” Interestingly, the only politician Assange names directly in his response is Clinton herself: “I’m sure there are certain views among Hillary Clinton and her lot that we are subverting their authority. But you’re right, we are subverting illegitimate authority. The question is whether the authority is legitimate or whether it is illegitimate.”
    [...]
    Other notable, potentially planted statements and questions?
    [...]
    When accusing Assange of espionage didn’t work, Kroft tried another angle. He suggested that if Julian Assange was not punished, it would set a dangerous precedent for others to leak classified documents. Kroft said:

“…if they don’t come after you now that what they have done is essentially endorsed small, powerful organization with access to very powerful information releasing it outside their control. And if they let you get away it, then they are encouraging —”
    Assange interrupted:

“Then what? They will have to have freedom of the press?” After a brief and tense exchange, Assange asserted, “If we’re talking about creating threats to small publishers to stop them publishing, the U.S. has lost its way. It has abrogated its founding traditions. It has thrown the First Amendment in the bin. Because publishers must be free to publish.”
    Ironically, throughout their conversation about free speech and the freedom of the press, Kroft was feeding him questions straight from the mouth of government — more specifically, a government agency with a probable vendetta against Assange for releasing embarrassing information.
    [interview]
    The government is no stranger to manipulating the media. It was recently revealed that the CIA heavily influenced the bin-Laden-themed film, Zero Dark Thirty. The military regularly reviews films with military-subject matter and helps dictate content. The New York Times presented information in a way that deceptively downplayed the CIA’s operations in Syria, a move many view as a consequence of the agency’s decades-old efforts to manipulate the media.

News of the State Department’s manipulation of Assange’s interview is not a revelation. Nevertheless, it constitutes yet another crack in the facade of carefully crafted sound bites and the subtle, yet potent, manipulation of information.
    Last edited by Lucille; 10-02-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing to see here. Just some interdepartmental communications from MiniLuv to MiniTrue.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Is this the same or different than Project Mockingbird?

https://www.google.com/search?q=proj...13.Mmhk9GUu_lE

“Madame Secretary, a very quick update. I just received confirmation from 60 Minutes that a piece on Julian Assange will air Sunday night. He will be the only person featured. We had made a number of suggestions for outside experts and former diplomats to interview to "balance" the piece. 60 Minutes assures me that they raised a number of questions and concerns we planted with them during the course of the interview. We will be prepared to respond to the narrative Assange presents during the program.”
    https://www.rt.com/usa/317294-assange-clinton-mail-cbs/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I searched by title "'60 Minutes' used 'planted' questions, Hillary Clinton email says" and almost started a new thread:

CBS's "60 Minutes" used questions "planted" by the State Department in a 2011 interview with Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, a State Department aide told Hillary Clinton in a newly released email.

"I just received confirmation from 60 Minutes that a piece on Julian Assange will air Sunday night," Philip Crowley, the assistant secretary of state for public affairs, wrote to Clinton in 2011. "He will be the only person featured. We had made a number of suggestions for outside experts and former diplomats to interview to 'balance' the piece. 60 Minutes assures me that they raised a number of questions and concerns we planted with them during the course of the interview. We will be prepared to respond to the narrative Assange presents during the program."
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/01/medi...ted-questions/

No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

//
    Last edited by kahless; 10-02-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    And the lapdogs are more than happy to comply.
    That really is the crux of the matter: the question of their eagerness. I do not think that any nominally intelligent, informed, and honest human will deny that the press is as biased as it gets. The question is: why? Are they the victims of the manipulations of evil government, or are they willing partners? There was once a time when I would have been of the mind to at least concede the possibility of the former. I now hold very little doubt that these days the latter is very much in evidence and is, in fact, the sole effective factor in play. There are far too many issues on which media weighs in where I am certain they could voice opinions of a sort not in keeping with the general timbre of the "important" ones, but do not. The consistency of character tells me that these people are very much on board with whatever the broader political agenda is, which further tells me they are owned lock, stock, and barrel by those whose agendas are being made manifest in the world.

The lockstep in which the great plurality of media giants are so blatantly engaged is too vast and too perfectly uniform and consistent to be mere coincidence. I also doubt that "government" is feeding these media players every line and syllable of every story. This utter dearth of any indication of duress strongly suggests to me that the standard, long-established media can in no way to be victims of some vast and dark government conspiracy to squelch truth and spin a worldview so uniform as to be wholly non-credible in the context of the question of who it is, precisely, that pulls the strings in such matters. This is NOT organic. It is purely synthetic and completely dishonest.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

h/t Against Crony Capitalism

By Editor on October 2, 2015
    We posted on this yesterday. But it’s worth another look.

So a staffer at the State Department said in an email (revealed in one of the Hillary email dumps) that the agency had “planted” questions in a 60 Minutes interview with Julian Assange.

“Planted” is the word used by the staffer as one can see in the below email.

But CBS says the above email was just a junior apparatchik trying to curry favor with his boss Hillary Clinton. But if so why would “planting” questions be something Ms. Clinton would look on favorably? (If she did.)

Regardless we’re sure CBS would never ever collude with the government on messaging. No way.

http://www.againstcronycapitalism.or...aks-interview/
    ACC is a completely non-partisan organization. We do not support/endorse or oppose any candidate for office. We believe that both major parties are heavily influenced by special interests and will report on crony capitalism wherever and whenever we see it.
    CBS Goes on the Defensive After Clinton Emails Reveal “Planted” Questions for Wikileaks Interview

Although the email suggests collusion between “60 Minutes” and the State Department, CNNMoney reports:

“60 Minutes’ spokesman Kevin Tedesco took issue with Crowley’s portrayal of the situation and accused him of trying to curry favor with Clinton.

“‘The idea of a “plant” is as preposterous as this email writer’s attempt to get credit from his boss,’ Tedesco told CNNMoney. ‘We spoke to many sources for this story.'”

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/10/4355...722.1433438292
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That really is the crux of the matter: the question of their eagerness. I do not think that any nominally intelligent, informed, and honest human will deny that the press is as biased as it gets. The question is: why? Are they the victims of the manipulations of evil government, or are they willing partners? There was once a time when I would have been of the mind to at least concede the possibility of the former. I now hold very little doubt that these days the latter is very much in evidence and is, in fact, the sole effective factor in play.
    Made me recall Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Van Helsing:

"Lucy is not a random victim, attacked by mere accident, you understand? No. She is a willing recruit, a breathless follower, a wanton follower. I dare say, a devoted disciple. She is the Devil's concubine!"
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    “60 Minutes’ spokesman Kevin Tedesco took issue with Crowley’s portrayal of the situation and accused him of trying to curry favor with Clinton.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Made me recall Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Van Helsing:

"Lucy is not a random victim, attacked by mere accident, you understand? No. She is a willing recruit, a breathless follower, a wanton follower. I dare say, a devoted disciple. She is the Devil's concubine!"

Is this not a perfect description of truth? The Devil's concubine, indeed.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Speaking of Devil's Concubine/Satanism:

I wonder if Philip Crowley is related to CNN's Candy Crowley and by extension, noted occultist Aleister Crowley? Highly likely and goes to show there is no disconnect between media and government.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book