Thread: 10 Head-Scratching Facts About Gray Hair

10 Head-Scratching Facts About Gray Hair

I don't have any gray....on my head but I recently found a few gray pubes (part of the reason I decided to go bare down there). I wonder if my vagina's stressed?

Whether it’s no big deal or a perplexing affront to your vanity, gray hair is a fact of life—and still a bit of a mystery.

1. HOW HAIR TURNS GRAY

Hair grows in a follicle, a bulb-like tube on your scalp. The average head has 100,000 to 150,000 follicles, each operating independently from the others. Hair in its basic, unpigmented state is white. It gets its color from melanin, a pigment that also determines skin color. Two types of melanin, eumelanin (dark brown or black) and phaeomelanin (reddish yellow), combine to make all the hair colors. One hypothesis for why hair goes gray is that aging slows or stops the hair from accessing the melanin, so it comes out gray, silver, or white instead.

2. HAIR MAY BLEACH ITSELF FROM THE INSIDE OUT

New research reveals that graying may be from a build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair cell, which causes the hair to bleach itself on the inside. Cells naturally have a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in them, but it’s kept in check by an enzyme called catalase, which converts the hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water. As we age, the body produces less catalase, so the hydrogen peroxide builds up and, according to the New York Times, blocks “the normal synthesis of melanin, the natural pigment in hair.” Thus the hair turns gray, giving new meaning to the phrase “peroxide blonde.”

3. GRAYING IS CAUSED BY HEREDITY

When you’re born, your genes are already hardwired for when and how your hair will turn gray. This includes premature graying—people who gray before age 30 usually do so because it runs in the family. For most of us, graying starts in middle age. Dermatologists go by the 50/50/50 rule of thumb: by age 50, half the population will have at least 50 percent gray hair—although a worldwide survey showed that number was much lower, with only 6 to 23 percent of people half gray by age 50.

4. RACE IS ALSO A FACTOR

In a related matter, race also determines when you’re likely to gray. In general, Caucasians gray in their mid-30s, Asians in their late-30s, and African Americans in their 40s.

5. PLUCKING ONE GRAY HAIR WILL NOT CAUSE THREE TO GROW IN ITS PLACE

This old wives’ tale is a myth. Each follicle can contain only one hair, and plucking it won’t make it able to produce multiple hairs. Furthermore, what you do to one follicle has no effect on the ones around it. That said, excessive plucking isn’t a good idea—it can damage the follicles and even stop hair production in that area altogether.

6. STRESS PROBABLY PLAYS A ROLE IN GRAYING

When President Obama went gray his first term in office, was it stress, age, or a combination of both? Scientists aren’t sure. While some researchers say that your genes alone are responsible for gray hair, others say that there seems to be a connection between graying and stress, just no direct link to prove it. In 2011, a study by Nobel Prize winner Robert Lefkowitz discovered that long-term productions of the body’s fight or flight response—the instinctive ability to mobilize energy in response to a threatening situation—can damage your DNA and cause premature aging, including graying hair.

7. TRAUMA WON’T MAKE YOU GO GRAY OVERNIGHT

Another myth is that a major shock will cause your hair to suddenly turn gray. This is sometimes called the Marie Antoinette Syndrome because the French queen’s hair supposedly turned white the night before she was beheaded. But hair, once grown, doesn’t change color, so waking up with a head of white hair isn’t going to happen. Although there is a very rare condition where all of the colored hairs can fall out, leaving only white hairs behind, the simpler answer is that Marie Antoinette probably just took off her wig.

8. SMOKING MAY CAUSE YOU TO PREMATURELY GRAY

Multiple studies have linked smoking with premature aging, which includes early graying. In 2013, a study found that there is a significant relationship between smoking and gray hair in people under 30. In fact, “smokers were two and half times more prone to develop PHG” or premature hair graying.

9. BODY HAIR ALSO TURNS GRAY

All your body hair—chest, nose, pubic, etc.—can turn gray. Body hair tends to gray at a different rate than the hair on your head, which is why some men can have gray beards and brown hair, or visa versa. By the way, dyeing gray pubic hair is a thing.

10. SOMEDAY, RESEARCH MAY LEAD TO A GRAY HAIR CURE

Scientists in Europe discovered a breakthrough with vitiligo, a disease where skin loses pigment and develops white patches. Like hair, vitiligo is caused by “massive oxidative stress via accumulation of hydrogen peroxide,” causing the skin to bleach itself from the inside out. Researchers have successfully treated the discolored skin and eyelashes of vitiligo patients, which has led some to predict a potential cure for gray hair. But while the idea sounds promising, history is full of tonics and creams claiming to cure gray hair. As far as we know, none of them have worked yet.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61452...bout-gray-hair
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

drink enough blackstrap molasses and you have a good chance of getting rid of gray hair.... according to dr. joel wallach its caused by copper deficincy. ive noticed lots less gray hair after including sardines et al in my diet regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    drink enough blackstrap molasses and you have a good chance of getting rid of gray hair.... according to dr. joel wallach its caused by copper deficincy. ive noticed lots less gray hair after including sardines et al in my diet regularly...
    This has copper, catalase and much more:

https://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/p...FYgCaQod65ADMg

Last edited by dannno; 10-02-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Cells naturally have a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in them, but it’s kept in check by an enzyme called catalase, which converts the hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water. As we age, the body produces less catalase, so the hydrogen peroxide builds up and, according to the New York Times, blocks “the normal synthesis of melanin, the natural pigment in hair.” Thus the hair turns gray

10. SOMEDAY, RESEARCH MAY LEAD TO A GRAY HAIR CURE
    lol, SOMEDAY??? Why, cause you can't patent catalase???

lol....

angelatc actually defends these people...
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

5. PLUCKING ONE GRAY HAIR WILL NOT CAUSE THREE TO GROW IN ITS PLACE
    I can confirm this to be true. I remember doing this to my dad's hair. Its a miracle how he was still able to have any hair after hrs upon hrs of hair plucking. He also started graying in his 40s.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    This has copper, catalase and much more:

https://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/p...FYgCaQod65ADMg

i dont believe in synthetics.. the natural foods will do much better than man made stuff... of course standard process would be an exception.. i think they have a product called catalase but end users cant buy their stuff.. only doctors can... im ok with sardines and the like.. lots of copper etc.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I can confirm this to be true. I remember doing this to my dad's hair. Its a miracle how he was still able to have any hair after hrs upon hrs of hair plucking. He also started graying in his 40s.
    My dad claims I gave him all his grey hairs. He said he didn't have any until I was born.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

i dont believe in synthetics.. the natural foods will do much better than man made stuff... of course standard process would be an exception.. i think they have a product called catalase but end users cant buy their stuff.. only doctors can... im ok with sardines and the like.. lots of copper etc.
    How do you eat your sardines? I haven't had any since I was a kid and I think we ate them on crackers with mustard.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By the way, dyeing gray pubic hair is a thing.
    Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Just sayin...
    I looked into that. It's called Black Betty and it's a bit pricey. They also make it in crazy colors but who in the hell wants a pink cooch? I opted to go bald.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My dad claims I gave him all his grey hairs. He said he didn't have any until I was born.
    Women and children give men gray hair.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

lol, SOMEDAY??? Why, cause you can't patent catalase???

lol....

angelatc actually defends these people...
    Because the stuff you posted probably doesn't actually work, stoner.

The road is littered with discarded vitamins and minerals that made perfect sense but proved to be digested and excreted without effect. Some experts have suggested that it may be more effective to supplement the minerals such as zinc and selenium that the body uses to produce catalase, MSR A and B, and tyrosinase, rather than take them directly. Spinach, avocados, and liver are rich in catalase, so you could always try adding these to your diet for a more natural approach.
    Of course going gray is natural, and you're emessing with the basic functions of the body by playing with all these chemikillz. Oh wait, there's no body of evidence to support their contentions, so obviously they're ok to take.

It's just the stuff that's tested for decades before the public is allowed to have it that's dangerous, or something.

I meam big pharma is al about the profit but obviously the people making supplements are, like, totally not in it for the money. Because if they were in it for the money, they'd do science and stuff to prove their product worked before actually selling it.

Honestly, I don't care. My grandmother is only about half gray, and shes in her 90's. My Mom in her 70's doesn't dye her hair, and she's not got much at all. I didn't find my first until 3-4 years ago. Obviously, this proves that being a know it all bitch keeps you from going gray.
    Last edited by angelatc; 10-02-2015 at 07:44 PM.

I looked into that. It's called Black Betty and it's a bit pricey. They also make it in crazy colors but who in the hell wants a pink cooch? I opted to go bald.
    I doth protest Suzeanimal.
    clearly, you "mowed the lawn" with prejudice.

I propose that the follicle(s) in question. were NOT in fact grey.
    they were Blond.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    I doth protest Suzeanimal.
    clearly, you "mowed the lawn" with prejudice.

I propose that the follicle(s) in question. were NOT in fact grey.
    they were Blond.
    It was more like bush whacking and Mr Animal wasn't thrilled to find my pubes in his clippers but they were most definitely grey. I wonder if my mom has grey pubes - just curious if it's hereditary. If I get enough Franzia in me I may ask her.

It was more like bush whacking and Mr Animal wasn't thrilled to find my pubes in his clippers but they were most definitely grey. I wonder if my mom has grey pubes - just curious if it's hereditary. If I get enough Franzia in me I may ask her.
    possible. I seem to be getting blonder as I get older.

perhaps that is why I am defensive of blond hairs?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

How do you eat your sardines? I haven't had any since I was a kid and I think we ate them on crackers with mustard.
    Ya mustard is good, you can also kinda use them like tuna - maybe some celery, mayo, mustard and a little vinegar or lemon to cut the fishiness. They aren't bad tho, not super salty like anchovies.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Joe Rogan has some grey pubes.

Joe Rogan has some grey pubes.
    How do you know this?

How do you know this?
    Referred to here:

https://twitter.com/jenkirkman/statu...04539042021376

I don't have any gray....on my head but I recently found a few gray pubes (part of the reason I decided to go bare down there). I wonder if my vagina's stressed?
    Did a certain NSFW smurf cartoon influence your decision at all?

ok, just curiosity here...

I've heard that a bare patch (F) is more sensitive than one covered by shrubbery. Well you know, surrounding areas are supposed to be sensitive too - and if you can't get at them... True or not?

Also that females prefer males that are neatly trimmed or bare. True or not?

How often is maintenance required "down there" for stubble. I mean, it grows to a certain length and seems to stop, unlike head hair, yet shaving supposedly stimulates growth... I imagine waxing in certain areas would be especially painful...

Remember running into a really hot girl once and giving her a once over glance. Her mound was a total turn off. Totally sticking up. I mean who wants to go down on a hair brush - just ICK! Like is that a hair brush between your legs or a new type of chastity belt? Stiff, upright, should come with a "eye protection required in this area" warning label.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

I've heard that a bare patch (F) is more sensitive than one covered by shrubbery. Well you know, surrounding areas are supposed to be sensitive too - and if you can't get at them... True or not?
    TRUE! I almost collapsed in the shower the first time the water jet hit my bare hooha.

I don't. Seems gay.

How often is maintenance required "down there" for stubble. I mean, it grows to a certain length and seems to stop, unlike head hair, yet shaving supposedly stimulates growth... I imagine waxing in certain areas would be especially painful...
    Not sure yet. It seems to be growing in rather slowly.

Remember running into a really hot girl once and giving her a once over glance. Her mound was a total turn off. Totally sticking up. I mean who wants to go down on a hair brush - just ICK! Like is that a hair brush between your legs or a new type of chastity belt? Stiff, upright, should come with a "eye protection required in this area" warning label.

-t
    I never had anyone reject my bush.

Chester Copperpot

-t
    sounds pretty gay

sounds pretty gay
    Yeppers! Not shaving legs, mound or underarms is something the feminazi's are pushing now-a-days.

Ann Coulter was right about them.

This does depend on culture. I rented a room to a diplomats daughter, and they viewed pubic hair as a filter to disease organisms as well as insulation for a vulnerable area - u know, egg production... can't argue with that.

-t

<-- so far, no greys.. plenty of white hairs though.. more in one eyebrow than the other.. grumble... face looks cockeyed

as far as cooch.. trim.. fine.. wax.. never again *itchy scratchy* growing in
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In a related matter, race also determines when you’re likely to gray. In general, Caucasians gray in their mid-30s, Asians in their late-30s, and African Americans in their 40s.
    I have never seen a mid-30 caucasian person with silver hair....all these averages sound quite young to me, really. Da fuq?
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-03-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Yeppers! Not shaving legs, mound or underarms is something the feminazi's are pushing now-a-days.

Ann Coulter was right about them.

This does depend on culture. I rented a room to a diplomats daughter, and they viewed pubic hair as a filter to disease organisms as well as insulation for a vulnerable area - u know, egg production... can't argue with that.

-t
    Wasn't that popular among the hippie chicks in the 60s? I'm way too young to remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Wasn't that popular among the hippie chicks in the 60s? I'm way too young to remember.
    This is a ridiculous statement, there have always been and there still are hippie chicks and many of them don't shave. There never was a time when there "stopped" being hippie chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I have never seen a mid-30 caucasian person with silver hair....all these averages sound quite young to me, really. Da fuq?
    Starting the graying process doesn't mean one is completely gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism