Thread: Inside Carly Fiorina's California campaign meltdown

Inside Carly Fiorina's California campaign meltdown

By Maeve Reston, CNN

Updated 9:13 AM ET, Wed September 30, 2015

Los Angeles (CNN) Carly Fiorina is surprising many Republicans with her meteoric rise to the top tier of the 2016 GOP race. But here in California, her sparkling performances on the campaign trail look more like a case of déjà vu.

Before plummeting to a 10-percentage-point loss during a wave year for Republicans in 2010, the former chief executive mounted a fierce challenge to U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer with all of the same assets she is displaying now.

She dazzled voters, particularly women, with her secretary-to-CEO life narrative. She impressed them with her toughness -- from her well-placed jabs at Boxer to her own gutsy story as a breast cancer survivor. She demonstrated a brilliant ability to synthesize complex issues into sound bites, even if critics often took issue with the way she framed the facts.

But the 2010 race offered a window into something else: the ease of constructing a brutal and relentless takedown of the one-time Hewlett-Packard chief executive that could well be repeated in the presidential cycle. The anti-Fiorina playbook in California packed a powerful one-two punch: pairing the stories of dismissed H-P workers with details of her compensation package and luxurious CEO "perks" -- from private jets to yachts -- defining her as the face of corporate greed.

RELATED: In Iowa, lines blurred between Fiorina campaign and super PAC

The attacks were particularly potent, because opponents used Fiorina's own words against her, plucking damaging quotes from the vast trove of video that comprises her business career.

'Very concerned'

"Early on, we were very concerned," said Boxer's lead strategist, Rose Kapolczynski, recalling her alarm when she first experienced Fiorina's powerful appeal to moderate women of all political parties in early focus groups. "Some voters found her so appealing that when we told them about her laying off workers, they didn't believe us. They'd say 'She wouldn't do that.' "

Facing that disbelief in an election climate favoring Republicans, the Boxer team set out on an intensive scrub of Fiorina's business record, sifting through her countless interviews, speeches and public statements.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/politi...ign/index.html

Now that they have sufficiently built her up, it's time to tear her down...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol so soon though
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Lol so soon though
    The goal was to get a woman's face on the debate stage. Never to have her leading in the polls. They've overplayed their hand here, it's time to reel it back

Can't be soon enough.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.