Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNBC debate requirements announced

CNBC debate requirements announced

Just on CNBC:

8pm
    "Candidates with at least 2.5% average in polls. Jobs Tech Taxes Economy topics"

JV debate
    Minimum of 1% average in polls.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Is Rand's average good?

Jan2017

Candidate criteria for the October 28, 2015 CNBC Republican Debate is as follows:
    National polls will be used to determine a candidate's eligibility and placement on the stage. To be eligible to appear in either segment,
    a candidate must have at least 1% in any one of the methodologically sound and recognized national polls conducted by:
    NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN and Bloomberg, released between September 17, 2015 and October 21, 2015.

To appear in the 8pm debate a candidate must have an average of 3% among these polls.
    The polls will be averaged and will be rounded up to 3% for any candidate with a standing of 2.5% or higher.
    Candidates who average below that will be invited to the 6pm debate.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/30/cnbc-...-criteria.html

Not sure on how they'll pick the average but RCP has the following:

Graham: .2
    Pataki: .3
    Santorum: .5
    Jindal: .5
    Paul: 2.3
    Christie: 3.0
    Huckabee: 3.0
    Kasich: 3.3

Wonder how they picked 2.5

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-3823.html

Paul at 2.3%

Looks like he'll be in the JV debate all by himself?
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post

Paul at 2.3%

As long as the others have gotten 1% in at least 1 poll they're allowed in.

Jan2017

Paul at 2.3%

Certain poll results over next four weeks of polling (until Oct 21) could be included in the computation . . .

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    As long as the others have gotten 1% in at least 1 poll they're allowed in.
    The NBC/WSJ has a sample size of 230 GOP voters. +/-6.5%.

This circus is even more of a sham than it normally is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Certain poll results over next four weeks of polling (until Oct 21) could be included in the computation . . .
    Could be or will be?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yes. Hopefully we see some better polling this month.

Really absurd requirements considering all the polls right now have between 3% and 6% margins of error. The process is so corrupt. Everyone with a serious campaign should be allowed on the stage. That can easily be defined by having an infrastructure, staffing, etc.

The NBC/WSJ has a sample size of 230 GOP voters. +/-6.5%.

This circus is even more of a sham than it normally is.
    Yea for me it's painfully clear what they're doing here. They see Paul is hovering around 2.5% right now so in an attempt to exclude him while not making it blatantly obvious they make 3% the mark, rounding up. In order to not have a debate with one person, they throw in the added qualification of only having to get 1% in a single poll to qualify even if you are only at .1%. So essentially they want to put Paul in the debate with a group of people whom he has over 4-10 times the support of, even according to their stacked/flawed methodologies.

Yet they make an exemption for Fiorina who didn't meet any of the qualification in the first place.

"Sham" is a nice way of putting it.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Could be or will be?
    Polls done after the last debate and until October 21 will be in consideration of being used . . .
    sorry but that is the best I can describe how I read this.

national polls conducted by: NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN and Bloomberg, released between September 17, 2015
    and October 21, 2015.
    no Quinni U. poll used . . .
    Last edited by Jan2017; 09-30-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Polls done after the last debate and until October 21 will be in consideration of being used . . .
    sorry but that is the best I can describe how I read this.
    Looks like only polls by
    NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN and Bloomberg
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Yea for me it's painfully clear what they're doing here. They see Paul is hovering around 2.5% right now so in an attempt to exclude him while not making it blatantly obvious they make 3% the mark, rounding up. In order to not have a debate with one person, they throw in the added qualification of only having to get 1% in a single poll to qualify even if you are only at .1%. So essentially they want to put Paul in the debate with a group of people whom he has over 4-10 times the support of, even according to their stacked/flawed methodologies.

Yet they make an exemption for Fiorina who didn't meet any of the qualification in the first place.

"Sham" is a nice way of putting it.
    Exactly. I expect his numbers to fall sharply, after the CNN/ORC 4% drops out.

Would be funny to hold the potential Sanders debate on the same day.

Looks like only polls by
    NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN and Bloomberg
    I think Rand is at 2.75% if you only count those. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-3823.html
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Rand at 4% in eighth place in the latest and only CNN poll to be used so far (presumably) of September 20 -
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/20/politi...can-2016-poll/

I expect he will go up with all the Senate actions.

I think Rand is at 2.75% if you only count those. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-3823.html
    Yeah, he is. If the next two polls have him at 2%, he's still at 2.5, so he may be OK here. I'm sure he'll be higher than 2 in at least some of the polls that will come out between now and the 21st. The last ABC one had him at 5 while others had him at 3 around that time, so let's hope the next ABC one is the same or better.
    Last edited by SilentBull; 09-30-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Looks like Graham will finally get to rip into Rand the way he's been wanting to in a debate. Expect Graham to be called the winner of the junior debate.

Quote Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
    Is Rand's average good?
    Candidate criteria for the October 28, 2015 CNBC Republican Debate is as follows:National polls will be used to determine a candidate's eligibility and placement on the stage. To be eligible to appear in either segment,
    a candidate must have at least 1% in any one of the methodologically sound and recognized national polls conducted by:
    NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN and Bloomberg, released between September 17, 2015 and October 21, 2015.

To appear in the 8pm debate a candidate must have an average of 3% among these polls.
    The polls will be averaged and will be rounded up to 3% for any candidate with a standing of 2.5% or higher.
    Candidates who average below that will be invited to the 6pm debate.

Using this criteria, Rand is currently at 2.75.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...823.html#polls
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Agree. ABC and CBS don't have polls in the quoted timeframe yet, either. An optimistic interpretation would be that they are trying to place Rand at the cutoff (note they cite 3% as the cutoff, but will "round up"). It wouldn't make sense to exile anyone from the top-tier debate given that Walker has already dropped out. Plus, there is a clear delineation between Rand's current position and Jindal, et al. It would take some consistently sliding polling numbers for a Rand or Huckabee to deteriorate out of the prime debate, and the recent Reuters results are encouraging on that front.

Numbers with CNBC criteria:

Trump 23%
    Carson 17%
    Fiorina 11.5%
    Rubio 9.75%
    Bush 9%
    Cruz 6%
    Kasich 4%
    Huck 3.5%
    Christie 3.75%
    Paul 2.75%
    Santorum 0.75%
    Jindal 0.5%
    Pataki 0.25%
    Graham 0% (NOTE: He currently does NOT qualify for the JV debate)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinas
    Agree. ABC and CBS don't have polls in the quoted timeframe yet, either. An optimistic interpretation would be that they are trying to place Rand at the cutoff (note they cite 3% as the cutoff, but will "round up").
    I did consider that as well. I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

If I didn't know any better, I would say they created the rounding up rule to make sure Rand is INCLUDED. If they wanted to set the minimum at 3%, Rand would be the only one in danger of being left out. I wonder why they didn't do that. Maybe they're afraid of pissing people off. They also could have included Quinnipiac if they really wanted to screw him, but they didn't.
    Last edited by SilentBull; 09-30-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Paul at 2.3%

With Santorum, Jindal, and Graham? LOL

He's going to make those guys look like the 3 stooges they are.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    With Santorum, Jindal, and Graham? LOL

He's going to make those guys look like the 3 stooges they are.
    No, he's at 2.75. He's good.

Quote Originally Posted by logikal View Post
    No, he's at 2.75. He's good.
    Don't be complacent. These are the same people that manufacture "surges" through those very polls. They'll make $#@! up if they feel the need.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

So the campaign rests on Rand's polling over the next couple weeks. If he doesn't make the main debate, he's done. the "JV" debate is basically being handed your hat and being shown the door.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

No need to worry just yet. About 3 weeks of polling to be included. But I will say this - some of these polls are bogus with around 300 voters. Didn't one even include Democrats?

A legit poll would be 75% Rep and 25% Indy with about 1000 voters saying they are going to actually participate.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    So the campaign rests on Rand's polling over the next couple weeks. If he doesn't make the main debate, he's done. the "JV" debate is basically being handed your hat and being shown the door.
    Not necessarily. Fiorina was in the JV debate, "won" it and got a big polling bump up to the big girl debate.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyInNY View Post
    Looks like Graham will finally get to rip into Rand the way he's been wanting to in a debate. Expect Graham to be called the winner of the junior debate.
    Rand will be in the main debate. Lindsey *might* be in the early debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast